Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
brockash
DIS Veteran

I don't miss it like I thought I would have. I really had a hard time getting rid of our landline, just because it's what I grew up with and just seemed normal and we have kids and I was a little concerned with not having a landline, but it really hasn't been a big deal at all. Honestly, by the time we got rid of it the only people that called our landline were telemarketers and it was really just a waste of money.

It's been 4 years since we've had a landline and I don't think we've missed it once.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 AM   #17
mimmi
DIS Veteran

We gave up our landline six years ago, as we are among the countries with the cheapest mobile phone plans in the world and a landline didn't make financial sense anymore.
I don't feel a difference, just maybe that each of us gets only calls intended to them personally, that's nice.

I don't know how it works in the US but we have a dedicated mobile emergency number that works everywhere in the EU. I've had to call it three times already and every time, the nearest police department answered, so they had no problem locating me.
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

We got rid of the landline a couple years ago. Haven't missed it one bit.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

We still have our landline. The cost is wrapped up in our cable/internet package and is very minimal.

We were seriously considering dropping it a year or so ago, but an emergency changed that. I was babysitting my best friend's 5 month old daughter when she had a grand mal seizure. I was very grateful to have the landline for 911; I like the security of it.

Our phone is actually the old fashioned kind - connected to the wall with a cord

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #20
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

No landline since the 90s, don't miss it.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
3angelsmom
Mouseketeer

We dropped our landline a year ago but I really missed it. I'm bad about remembering to keep my cell turned on and the volume up. Also, the kids (11, 9 & 6) really aren't ready for their own cell phones yet. Right before Christmas we got the Ooma telo. Costco had it on sale for I think $99. It has great call clarity and has never dropped a call (we tried Magic Jack a few years ago and it was a disaster). It's well worth it for the roughly $4/month we pay in taxes.
3angelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #22
2manypets
DIS Veteran

I used to spend $40 a month so that the telemarketers could get in touch with me.

We don't regret getting rid of our land line at all. We still have a phone hanging on our wall for 911 purposes (it still dials 911 when there's no service), but use our cell phones exclusively.

Another positive about only cell phones is if you get a call you don't have to hunt the person being call down to come get to the phone.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #23
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

We have not had a landline in over 11 years. Don't miss it at all.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I love it,I love not having that 40+ bill every month for practically nothing....and phone line that goes down when the electricity goes...yes folks,that old wives tale that the 'old style' phone line is reliable in blackouts is no longer true.... ( I think it has to do with the big boxes attached to the poles now,when the batteries in those boxes go,say goodbye to your 'failsafe' phones)
...anyway.... I learned my lesson after our last blackout (9 days) and switched to a cellphone only. I now pay 30 per month,(or 40 if I want unlimited minutes to talk) and I have a bluetooth style box attached to my old existing in home phone jack,so when the cell rings,it routes thru that box,into my old standard phone attached to that jack.....so it's the same basic setup as what I had,for 30.00 per month for everything.
.....the reason I like that in-home bluetooth box is b/c I couldn't hear my one cell ringing all thru the house- now I can.
so no, I don;t miss my old worthless landline.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

oh,forgot to add, we pay separately for our internet- so that's not an issue.
so dh has a cell for work (free) ds1 has his own (free for me lol) and ds2 has a tracfone to use at home or about(extremely cheap to keep topped up) and I have our 'family cell" with me all the time...either on the desk at home,or in my purse..... that tracfone is usually just plugged into the wall on the desk,so my ds2 can use it when needed, but he rarely uses it anyway.
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #26
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manypets View Post
I used to spend $40 a month so that the telemarketers could get in touch with me.

We don't regret getting rid of our land line at all. We still have a phone hanging on our wall for 911 purposes (it still dials 911 when there's no service), but use our cell phones exclusively.
Don't the telemarketers eventually just get your cell phone number?My landline is 85% telemarketers (even though I am on the National and State DNC list ) but they got my number from somewhere. Someone I gave it to some who sold it to them or they randomly generated it and waited for an answer and then sold the "live number". Won't the same thing happen to my cell phone? The last thing I want is telemarketer calls/texts on my cell phone and I'm willing to keep my landline number to give out to people I don't really know.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #27
bamamom
DIS Veteran

We haven't had a landline for 2 years. I had it disconnected and didn't tell anyone in the family....it was 6 months before they noticed....and only because my daughter couldn't find her cell phone and was going to use the landline to call the cell

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dqfx4cwgjvcip.png[/img]
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

I love my landline. Because it's FREE!

I work from home every other week so I have two nice cordless handsets and a headset. We have an OBI device which connects from our modem to the cordless phone base and then a Google Voice account. Some days I'm on the phone for 6 hours of conference calls, so this is the perfect option for me. Much better sound clarity than my iPhone. I also like that we have the number set up to ring my cell phone if I don't answer the cordless phone in the house.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleinMaine
I guess we have a compromise- we have a cell phone that is our "home phone" (and then Dh, DS and I each have cell phones, eg that we carry with us.)

When we dropped the landline, I had them transfer the local phone # we've had for 20 years, to the home cell phone. People don't realize it's not a landline and don't think much of it when we're "not home" to answer it. Less pressure than giving out my personal cell number.
This is what we did. It stays in the same place in the house and my youngest son uses it at home since he is the only one with a cell phone. The only problem is we often forget to check it and people leave us voicemails. Not much of a problem because anyone who really knows me knows to call my cell.
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

We have had a magic jack for several years. Its not the greatest, but at $30 a year I can live with it. We also have a cable bundle with another phone line that we use for the fax machine. I would really miss my landline because I hate using my cell phone.

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: