Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Sorry for all of the separate replies! You would think by now that I would know how to use the multi quote for responses but I don't and it seemed like I was really just messing things up! I just wanted to send out a huge thank you for all of your help! You are truly making things so much easier for me!
Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #32
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylovers2000 View Post
WOW! You just gave me some really important advice and information!!
I had not thought of toll booths for bridges or roads - we don't have those up here in Alberta! and I NEVER would have guessed that we couldn't pay cash! It sounds a little hairy getting into San Fran over the bridges and I sure don't want to get any tickets!
The bridges in the Bay Area only collect tolls in one direction. The Golden Gate Bridge collects tolls going into San Francisco, as does the Bay Bridge. The Carquinez Bridge only collects tolls entering Solano County (northbound). The Golden Gate Bridge is the only one that has eliminated cash tolls. As I noted, if you plan on driving to SF across the bridge, you can set up an account with a one-time payment. Your payment will be attached to your license plate number. The system (FasTrak) they have in place is designed to first check for a transponder. If a transponder isn't registered, the system includes cameras that take several photos of the license plate. The license plate number can be used to send out a fine to the vehicle owner. If a transponder isn't detected and the license plate is registered with an account, the toll is eventually deducted from the account balance (this has happened to me several times, including several times after my transponder stopped working). In the case of a one-time payment, it will detect your license plate number and your payment will be applied to your toll.

This is fun isn't it? Almost as fun as the SunPass system they have in Florida.

The Bay Bridge is also pretty fun. There are the carpool lanes, but it's tricky with the hours. There might be a little bit of grace period, but I've never cut it that close. The tolls for a normal passenger vehicle are variable. It's $6 peak weekday times, $4 all other weekday times, and $5 on weekends. The same tolls apply during holidays. Carpools of are also $2.50 during the rush hour periods, but you'll need a transponder for that or else you might get a nice visit from the CHP. You shouldn't have an issue knowing how much the toll is. There are big electronic signs that display the current toll.

Quote:
http://bata.mtc.ca.gov/tolls/schedule.htm
  • San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge
    • 2 axle vehicles between 12:01 a.m. and 5 a.m., between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., and from 7 p.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday—$4.00
    • 2 axle vehicles between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. and between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday—$6.00
    • 2 axle vehicles between 12:01 a.m. Saturday and midnight Sunday— regular toll: $5.00
The Golden Gate Bridge is more interesting now that they no longer accept cash to pay tolls. Like I said, you could set up an advance payment and register your license plate number, but you'd want to know how much given their variable tolls. I'm not sure if you can request a refund at a later date if you've got unused funds.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #33
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
The bridges in the Bay Area only collect tolls in one direction. The Golden Gate Bridge collects tolls going into San Francisco, as does the Bay Bridge.
Thus leading San Francisco's beloved columnist and pundit, Herb Caen (RIP, Herb), to state that San Francisco is the only city with a cover charge.

OP, I've only skimmed the responses, but I see one suggestion for going down to Point Lobos, then backtracking to take CA 68 to Salinas and down US101. That's not a bad route, and you're really not backtracking very far at all. So, if you're concerned with time, it's a good idea. Two caveats -- you'll really want to spend a couple of hours in Point Lobos; you can't take it in with a 10 minute stop. And if you're going on a weekend, beware that it gets very busy. Once they fill their parking spaces (quickly, on a weekend), they hold incoming cars and let through one incoming for each outgoing car. On weekdays you shouldn't have a problem. On weekends, DW and I will put the bicycles on the back of the car, park on Highway 1 just outside the gate, and bicycle in.

OTOH, coastal Highway 1 really is a road trip that shouldn't be missed! One of the most spectacular in the world! I wouldn't let comments about curvy roads or getting behind RVs discourage you. The road is so scenic that you won't want to travel faster than those RVs, or you'd miss the scenery. That, and you'll want to stop at so many pullouts that you won't be following the same vehicles for very long anyway.

If you do take Highway 1, my favorite spot to stop for lunch is Nepenthe's. It's very pricey, but the views from their observation deck are some of the best you'll find anywhere in the world. Alternatively, you can stop for lunch at the Big Sur Inn and sit in the Little Sur River while soaking your feet in the cool water. Or for an even lower-cost alternative, there's a deli right next to Big Sur Inn where you can get sandwiches and soft drinks, and you can have a picnic on the side of the road. Still, if you can afford it, I'd splurge for Nepenthe's.

HTH,
Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #34
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Thanks again for the help!
So, I think we have decided to take some of the advice and head to Monterey and Point Lobos and then head back to the 101 and head south that way. You have all made my trip planning so much easier!

Wondering if its worth heading south a little further from Point Lobos and checking out Big Sur as well or if the Monterey area is going to cover the coastline that we would love to see, then we would head back up to the 68 and over to the 101. I think we will end up staying in King City and then head south down the 101 stopping in Slovang, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica (all for pics) and then head out to Anaheim-hopefully getting to Anaheim about supper time! Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #35
bcla
DIS Veteran

King City?

It's an OK place to stop. However, that's one of the more interesting places I've stayed in my life. I mentioned fellow guests arguing in the parking lot? That was one of those places. I would equate my experience there to watching the American TV show "Cops" where assorted low-class individuals don't seem to mind making a spectacle out of their lives.

I was basically there to visit Pinnacles National Monument.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #36
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
King City?

It's an OK place to stop. However, that's one of the more interesting places I've stayed in my life. I mentioned fellow guests arguing in the parking lot? That was one of those places. I would equate my experience there to watching the American TV show "Cops" where assorted low-class individuals don't seem to mind making a spectacle out of their lives.

I was basically there to visit Pinnacles National Monument.
YIKES!! I read that part of one of your posts but I didn't realize that was in King City!!!! I was just looking to make some tracks south! Hmmm, wonder where we shall stay now.... I wanted to go a little further than Salinas...
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
YIKES!! I read that part of one of your posts but I didn't realize that was in King City!!!! I was just looking to make some tracks south! Hmmm, wonder where we shall stay now.... I wanted to go a little further than Salinas...
That was the Motel 6 King City. It is in fact right next to the California Highway Patrol office. There's a small circle there with two motels, a gas station, and the CHP office. I haven't really explored King City except for the time that I went across town to get to Pinnacles.

King City itself isn't really that bad. It's primarily an agricultural town with about an 80% Hispanic population. A former coworker told me of a time where he had lunch there at a really good Mexican restaurant, but where most of the staff and clientele, save the waitress, didn't seem to speak English. It's that kind of town, but it's not an issue if you stick to the chain restaurants and lodging establishments in town.

What I'm getting at is that there is often little that you can do about the behavior of other guests. Short of finding private accommodations like a vacation home, you always stand the chance of coming across people behaving badly within earshot of your location. This can happen anywhere. I've seen someone almost ready to start a fight with a CM at Disneyland. You can always do research about a certain place and its propensity for misbehaving customers. However, they're all just anecdotes. For every motel stay where I can't sleep because some inconsiderate fool is arguing in the parking lot at 3 AM, there are four or five times which go by without incident. You can spend more, which tends to weed out those at the lower end of the economic scale, but that could mean less to spend once you get to Disneyland.

I've learned to lighten up. Whenever something nutty happens, that just means I have a story to tell in the future.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #38
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Wondering if its worth heading south a little further from Point Lobos and checking out Big Sur as well or if the Monterey area is going to cover the coastline that we would love to see, then we would head back up to the 68 and over to the 101. I think we will end up staying in King City and then head south down the 101 stopping in Slovang, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica (all for pics) and then head out to Anaheim-hopefully getting to Anaheim about supper time! Thanks again!
Again, I highly recommend coastal Highway 1 going through Big Sur. So to answer your question, yes I believe it's worthwhile to head down 1 to Big Sur. However, it really doesn't make sense to then backtrack to 68, cross over to Salinas, and go down 101. Really, you'll spend just as much time in your car going the backtrack route through Salinas as you would just heading south from Big Sur on 1. And south on 1 is oh so much more scenic.

Consider the time and distance from Big Sur to San Luis Obispo, which is the spot where the two routes meet. On highway 1, you can do it in two or two and half hours. Call it three for sightseeing. Your alternative route has you going north to Monterey, about 45 minutes. From there, it's almost two and a half hours to SLO, for a total of just over 3 hours. You're much better off spending your time going south on highway 1 and watching the world-class scenery.

Spend the day getting to and checking out Monterey, and then driving down the Big Sur coast. Keep going as far as San Simeon or Cambria, and stop for the night there. Much, much, MUCH more scenic than King City. (And oh, BTW, if you do for some reason take 101 through King City, slow down to the speed limit for 5 miles before and 5 miles after town. Notorious speed trap, and has been for at least 30 years).

HTH,
Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #39
Kittylover513
Mouseketeer

I think if you left SF at 1 you'd have a tough time getting to pismo beach by dark...it's a slow drive on hwy 1. You could cut across at 41 to101 to get to Santa Barbara faster. There are many places to stay near the cutover in cambria.

Personally if I were leaving SF at 1 I'd plan on staying the night/visiting Monterey/Carmel a bit and then leave in the AM for the drive down 1
Kittylover513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #40
Kittylover513
Mouseketeer

Sorry, made that response too short....that way you'll have the chance to see all the beauty by daylight (it really is beautiful!). There are many nice places to stay in Monterey and you could get quite a bit farther the next day.
Kittylover513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #41
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

Thanks again for all of your input! I value everything that my Dis friends suggest! Not sure exactly how this trip will end up but luckily I still have time! I am sure it will all work out exactly as planned
Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #42
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

Talking Sorry to Hijack but I too am trying to plan driving from San Fran

Hello.
I won't go too far into my back story as to not hijack this too much, but I too am trying to plan a drive from San Fran to Disneyland.

I am thinking of taking a day (Sept. 12th, 2013) to be specific to do so.

This is the route I made up on Google Maps. Thoughts?
I thought maybe this could help you too OP.

Driving directions to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Via E Shoreline Dr - remove

San Francisco, CA
1. Head northeast on Market St toward S Van Ness Ave
2. Take the 1st right onto S Van Ness Ave
3. Slight right to merge onto US-101 S toward Interstate 80 E/Oakland/San Jose
4. Take exit 336 toward Monterey/Peninsula
0.4 mi
5. Merge onto CA-156 W
6.1 mi
6. Merge onto CA-1 S/Cabrillo Hwy
20.4 mi
7. Turn right onto Point Lobos
Destination will be on the left
0.2 mi
125 mi – about 2 hours 2 mins

Point Lobos State Reserve
62 Highway 1
Carmel, CA 93923
8. Head southeast on Point Lobos toward CA-1 S/Cabrillo Hwy
0.2 mi
9. Turn left onto CA-1 N/Cabrillo Hwy
7.4 mi
10. Take exit 401B to merge onto CA-68 E/Monterey Salinas Hwy/Salinas Hwy toward Salinas
Continue to follow CA-68 E/Monterey Salinas Hwy
16.0 mi
11. Turn right onto E Blanco Rd
1.6 mi
12. Turn right onto Abbott St
3.5 mi
13. Take the ramp onto US-101 S
177 mi
14. Take exit 146 for CA-154 toward Los Olivos/Lake Cachuma
0.3 mi
15. Turn left onto CA-154 E/California State Route 154/San Marcos Pass Rd
Continue to follow CA-154 E/San Marcos Pass Rd
32.6 mi
16. Turn left to merge onto US-101 S
3.3 mi
17. Take exit 98 for Carrillo St toward Downtown
0.2 mi
18. Turn left onto W Carrillo St
0.6 mi
19. Turn right onto Anacapa St
0.2 mi
243 mi – about 3 hours 58 mins

Santa Barbara, CA
20. Head southeast on Anacapa St toward E Ortega St
0.3 mi
21. Take the 3rd left onto E Haley St
0.2 mi
22. Take the 2nd right onto Garden St
0.2 mi
23. Turn left to merge onto US-101 S
77.5 mi
24. Take exit 19A to merge onto I-405 S/San Diego Fwy
9.7 mi
25. Take exit 53 toward I-10 E/Santa Monica
0.6 mi
26. Merge onto I-10 W
2.9 mi
27. Take exit 1A for 4th Street
0.3 mi
28. Turn right onto 4th St
469 ft
29. Turn left onto Colorado Ave
0.4 mi
92.2 mi – about 1 hour 32 mins

Santa Monica Pier Rock Shop
321 Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica, CA 90401
30. Head northeast on Colorado Ave toward Ocean Ave
0.4 mi
31. Turn right onto 4th St
0.2 mi
32. Turn left onto the Interstate 10 E ramp to Los Angeles
0.3 mi
33. Merge onto I-10 E
3.1 mi
34. Take exit 3B to merge onto I-405 S toward Long Beach
21.8 mi
35. Take exit 32B to merge onto I-710 S toward Long Beach
3.3 mi
36. Take exit 1C on the left toward Downtown Long Beach/Convention Center/Aquarium
0.3 mi
37. Merge onto W Shoreline Dr
2.3 mi
38. Turn right onto E Ocean Blvd
2.1 mi
39. Keep left to stay on E Ocean Blvd
157 ft
40. Continue onto E Livingston Dr
0.5 mi
41. Slight right onto E 2nd St
2.2 mi
42. Turn left onto N Studebaker Rd
0.8 mi
43. Take the California 22 ramp to Interstate 605/Interstate 405
0.3 mi
44. Turn right onto CA-22 E
1.0 mi
45. Merge onto CA-22 E/I-405 S
1.9 mi
46. Keep right to continue on CA-22 E/Garden Grove Fwy, follow signs for Garden Grove
6.4 mi
47. Take exit 11 for Euclid St
0.2 mi
48. Turn left onto S Euclid St
2.7 mi
49. Turn right onto W Katella Ave
1.0 mi
50. Turn left onto Disneyland Dr/S West St
0.3 mi
51. Make a U-turn
Destination will be on the right
364 ft
51.1 mi – about 1 hour 9 mins

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
1717 Disneyland Dr
Anaheim, 92802

My only question is do i go to the 405 after Santa Barbara to Santa Monica? or stay on the 101?
Does the 101 do that??

Thank you, Everyone posting on here has a LOT of knowledge!!!
msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
Joluru
Mouseketeer

Are you planning on driving home as well? If it were my trip, I'd take the 5 south and HWY 1 north. It gives you a full day for SF (which is worth it!) and for me, the extra lane away from cliffs overlooking the ocean makes me feel a bit safer while driving. I just don't like driving along the edge! Plus, you get something to look forward to while leaving Disneyland.

I like the Jelly Belly tour, but wouldn't take away from SF touring to do it.
Joluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #44
paulakimtrac
Disney Global Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbatchelor5 View Post
Hello.
I won't go too far into my back story as to not hijack this too much, but I too am trying to plan a drive from San Fran to Disneyland.

I am thinking of taking a day (Sept. 12th, 2013) to be specific to do so.

This is the route I made up on Google Maps. Thoughts?
I thought maybe this could help you too OP.

Driving directions to Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Via E Shoreline Dr - remove

San Francisco, CA
1. Head northeast on Market St toward S Van Ness Ave
2. Take the 1st right onto S Van Ness Ave
3. Slight right to merge onto US-101 S toward Interstate 80 E/Oakland/San Jose
4. Take exit 336 toward Monterey/Peninsula
0.4 mi
5. Merge onto CA-156 W
6.1 mi
6. Merge onto CA-1 S/Cabrillo Hwy
20.4 mi
7. Turn right onto Point Lobos
Destination will be on the left
0.2 mi
125 mi – about 2 hours 2 mins

Point Lobos State Reserve
62 Highway 1
Carmel, CA 93923
8. Head southeast on Point Lobos toward CA-1 S/Cabrillo Hwy
0.2 mi
9. Turn left onto CA-1 N/Cabrillo Hwy
7.4 mi
10. Take exit 401B to merge onto CA-68 E/Monterey Salinas Hwy/Salinas Hwy toward Salinas
Continue to follow CA-68 E/Monterey Salinas Hwy
16.0 mi
11. Turn right onto E Blanco Rd
1.6 mi
12. Turn right onto Abbott St
3.5 mi
13. Take the ramp onto US-101 S
177 mi
14. Take exit 146 for CA-154 toward Los Olivos/Lake Cachuma
0.3 mi
15. Turn left onto CA-154 E/California State Route 154/San Marcos Pass Rd
Continue to follow CA-154 E/San Marcos Pass Rd
32.6 mi
16. Turn left to merge onto US-101 S
3.3 mi
17. Take exit 98 for Carrillo St toward Downtown
0.2 mi
18. Turn left onto W Carrillo St
0.6 mi
19. Turn right onto Anacapa St
0.2 mi
243 mi – about 3 hours 58 mins

Santa Barbara, CA
20. Head southeast on Anacapa St toward E Ortega St
0.3 mi
21. Take the 3rd left onto E Haley St
0.2 mi
22. Take the 2nd right onto Garden St
0.2 mi
23. Turn left to merge onto US-101 S
77.5 mi
24. Take exit 19A to merge onto I-405 S/San Diego Fwy
9.7 mi
25. Take exit 53 toward I-10 E/Santa Monica
0.6 mi
26. Merge onto I-10 W
2.9 mi
27. Take exit 1A for 4th Street
0.3 mi
28. Turn right onto 4th St
469 ft
29. Turn left onto Colorado Ave
0.4 mi
92.2 mi – about 1 hour 32 mins

Santa Monica Pier Rock Shop
321 Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica, CA 90401
30. Head northeast on Colorado Ave toward Ocean Ave
0.4 mi
31. Turn right onto 4th St
0.2 mi
32. Turn left onto the Interstate 10 E ramp to Los Angeles
0.3 mi
33. Merge onto I-10 E
3.1 mi
34. Take exit 3B to merge onto I-405 S toward Long Beach
21.8 mi
35. Take exit 32B to merge onto I-710 S toward Long Beach
3.3 mi
36. Take exit 1C on the left toward Downtown Long Beach/Convention Center/Aquarium
0.3 mi
37. Merge onto W Shoreline Dr
2.3 mi
38. Turn right onto E Ocean Blvd
2.1 mi
39. Keep left to stay on E Ocean Blvd
157 ft
40. Continue onto E Livingston Dr
0.5 mi
41. Slight right onto E 2nd St
2.2 mi
42. Turn left onto N Studebaker Rd
0.8 mi
43. Take the California 22 ramp to Interstate 605/Interstate 405
0.3 mi
44. Turn right onto CA-22 E
1.0 mi
45. Merge onto CA-22 E/I-405 S
1.9 mi
46. Keep right to continue on CA-22 E/Garden Grove Fwy, follow signs for Garden Grove
6.4 mi
47. Take exit 11 for Euclid St
0.2 mi
48. Turn left onto S Euclid St
2.7 mi
49. Turn right onto W Katella Ave
1.0 mi
50. Turn left onto Disneyland Dr/S West St
0.3 mi
51. Make a U-turn
Destination will be on the right
364 ft
51.1 mi – about 1 hour 9 mins

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
1717 Disneyland Dr
Anaheim, 92802

My only question is do i go to the 405 after Santa Barbara to Santa Monica? or stay on the 101?
Does the 101 do that??

Thank you, Everyone posting on here has a LOT of knowledge!!!

Regarding 405 after Santa Barbara Q. The answer is yes because you are going to Santa Monica. The 405/101 interchange is in the San Fernando valley.

If you were not going to Santa Monica and depending on the time of day I.e. not rush hour, then you could stay on the 101 and continue east and take Interstate 5 south to Disneyland.

Have fun!!
paulakimtrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #45
msbatchelor5
Mouseketeer

Thanks!

I think I've decided to wait and do Santa Monica on the day we drive into Hollywood.

msbatchelor5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: