Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Solid surface countertops, $$?

Hi there,

We are renovating our kitchen this summer and have decided on some type of solid surface countertop. Just not sure what kind yet!

If you have these, can you share what kind (granite, corian, etc) and anything you like or dislike? Also a rough idea of cost would be very helpful!!

TIA!!

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
cndij
Mouseketeer

I have quartz (manfuctured but 90% stone), had it 7 years now, bought from Lowes, about $3000 installed at the time, large L shaped counter, but I don't have the measurements. I love that I never have to worry about heat/hot pads, and that clean up is a cinch. I also love/hate the fact that because of the speckled pattern I chose, I sometimes, can't tell its dirty without running my hands over it LOL.
cndij is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
DVC96
Mouseketeer

I also have quartz (silestone) and absolutely love it! No worries about sealing it or placing a hot dish on it.
DVC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Hook326
Mouseketeer

We also love our quartz!
200?-Pop Century
August 2006-ASMovies
February 2009-ASMusic-1st trip with DS#1
September 2010-CBR
November 2011-POFQ-3rd trip with DS #1 & 1st trip with DS#2! Saw the World at Christmastime
November 2012-POFQ
September 2013-1st DCL trip & MNSSHP
Hook326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

We have Corian. I was planning on getting one of the nicer granite-look laminates when we redid our kitchen, but there was a fabulous deal on about 25 Corian patterns at my kitchen place, where the Corian with an integral sink installed was the same price as the laminate uninstalled.

I'd never thought much of Corian, thought it would be too plasticky but I like it a lot. It looks great and it's much warmer than expected. The integral sink is awesome to keep clean.

What I would love is granite but it wasn't in the budget. I like natural materials and would love a granite with some movement.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
brittsmum1998
just a shallow excuse to subscribe to this thread
"stay away from skunks....they stink"

Quartz in my main house and I love it! We have granite in 2nd home and I hate it

brittsmum1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
holden
DIS Veteran

We LOOOVE the granite in our kitchen. It's so unusual - black with big blotches of white. Some parts you can look through the granite - kind of hard to explain - like 3d for countertops! I don't remember how much it cost, but it was worth it! I love that I can take things out of the oven/off of the stove and put them right on it without worries. It does require a special "sealing" coat once a year (not a big deal - DH does it), and we do use granite cleaner to clean it.

We are remodeling our girls' bathroom and chose silestone (sp?) for that. It costs about the same price as granite, but it's lower maintenance.
DD - 7
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndij View Post
I have quartz (manfuctured but 90% stone), had it 7 years now, bought from Lowes, about $3000 installed at the time, large L shaped counter, but I don't have the measurements. I love that I never have to worry about heat/hot pads, and that clean up is a cinch. I also love/hate the fact that because of the speckled pattern I chose, I sometimes, can't tell its dirty without running my hands over it LOL.
Same here! We put our quartz in this past summer. We have a small kitchen but with a large overhang so it added a bit of cost. We paid $5000 for the countertop, installation and sink. We took out the old counter top (they hauled it away) and installed the faucet and disposal ourselves. Saved us about $600.

Our quartz is by Cambria which is a company in PA and the quartz is made in the USA. We loved that fact.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #9
cndij
Mouseketeer

Also wanted to add that I thought I wanted Granite, but my sister bless her heart, big HGTV fan that she is, said no you want Quartz, and I had never even heard of it. Like the above poster mentioned, the edging your choose can have a big effect on the price. I choose the round front edge (bull nose I think) and didn't add the back splash, as I intended to do custom tile for the back splash, we also did our own removal, and kept the existing sink which was in good shape. All those things will affect your price.
cndij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Is there a large price difference between granite and quartz, silestone or Corian?
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

We have granite...love it!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

We have quartz (silestone) in the kitchen, love it!! No staining, hot pads, easy cleaning except you can't always tell it is dirty. (This is not a bad thing in my opinion, either!) I have a small granite top in the master bath, which is 1 year old. I hate it! Water splashing has stained & changed the color of the stone. Under the soap dispenser is another rind of discoloration. It was sealed & this still occurred. I may be the only one that notices that the sand color granite has an orange tint & dark spots, but it does bother me. I wouldn't have purchased granite over silestone, but it was only offering from the tub place.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
iheartnmr's
Mouseketeer

I have Quartz. I chose that over granite as it never needs resealing and I prefer a uniform pattern. If you want something unique, with veins, granite would be a better choice. The price is very comparable with QUartz being slightly more expensive. Also with granite you need to make sure anything acidic isn't left on it (lemon juice etc).

I had 37sq feet, with a designer edge and I paid ~$4K, taxes in.

I truly dislike the look of Corian.
iheartnmr's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear all the great quartz reviews! We're looking at taking out our laminate counter tops sometime soon and are leaning toward quartz. Thought about Corian but my MIL got Corian counter tops a few years back and HATES them. She thinks they scratch too easily.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
gjl
Mouseketeer

Removed

Last edited by gjl; 01-21-2014 at 10:13 PM.
gjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: