Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

Custom FE Maker Problem Report

I ordered my FE on Etsy from Magical Studio Designs. A month later I saw a number of posts on the Facebook FE page about various Etsy sellers who vanished or had other problems. Worried, I went online and found she had closed up shop. She did not respond to emails. So I started a PayPal dispute. That brought a very quick response from this seller who said that she was definitely going to fill my order and was upset because all her customers were starting paypal disputes and citing negative reports on the forums about her. Of course she ought to have emailed folks when she closed her store - or answered their panicked emails. I sail next Friday and PayPal has just refunded me my money. No word at all from the seller even though I was nice and said it was OK if she just let me know she couldn't handle the order so that I had time to get one somewhere else. Too late now to get one made elsewhere!!!!

Be wary of Etsy and use something like PayPal or Amex that is good about refunds. In looking into my seller I have come across numerous other customers who never received FE orders or had problems with orders from Etsy sellers. Etsy will not help you at all. Most of these sellers seem to just get completely overwhelmed and up and quit without telling anyone. I don't think any of them start out with less than good intentions. But they do leave stress and unhappiness in their wake.

Note to Etsy sellers - answer emails if people are sounding worried and stressed. Let people know in advance if there is a problem getting their order done. They may not be happy but I think most will understand, especially if they have enough warning to make alternate plans. If you close up shop and DO intend to fulfill orders - by all means email your customers to let them know!

Last edited by Kbrush; 03-06-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: grammar
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
superrach
Mouseketeer

I had a similar experience. Was excited to participate in an FE for the 1st time and ordered my holder way in advance. The seller had health issues and wound up sending the FE at the last minute to the DCL warehouse hoping it would make it on the ship cause she did not have time to make it early enough to send it to me personally. It never got on the ship. It was lost in the warehouse and I wound up getting it about 3 weeks later. It got lost cause the seller did not write ALL the information I gave her on my package including the most important detail--my cruise date and room number!! This would not have happened if she had made it in the time she advertised. I know health issues are unpredictable but the seller should have a back-up person available to fill orders if she can't. My FE now holds my mail and am hoping to use it on my next cruise this summer!!! C'est la vie!!
Disney Dream 4 nt. Bahamas, June 2013
Disney Fantasy 7nt. Eastern Caribbean, June 2012
WDW POP, December 2011
WDW ASM, December 2010
superrach is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Yeah, not something to leave to the last minute. We had a crafts person lined up, but they dropped out on us, luckily we had just enough time for someone else to expedite one and we got it with a couple weeks to spare.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
rab1022
Mouseketeer

Just my 2 cents...

Did the Etsy seller completely close their shop or just put it in vacation mode? My wife is also an Etsy seller and often gets to the point of being overwhelmed by the number of orders (she makes DCL pillowcases, bibs, bows, etc, which are time consuming) and will put her shop in vacation mode until all of her orders are filled before reopening. Is there a chance your seller just did this? Obviously, they still should have been in communication with you throughout the process though... My wife will setup an auto-reply email when going into vacation mode and also email all buyers with outstanding orders to let them know that she is only "closing shop" so that she can complete their orders in a timely manner.

Just want to throw that out as I think Etsy is a great site for people to display their talents and for others to find one-of-a-kind items.
rab1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

I have had extremely good luck buying things on Etsy. Please do not be discouraged because 1 or 2 shops were not good shops. Do your research before buying from an Etsy shop.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
FutureDis
Mouseketeer

Out of curiosity, what are the legal rules of selling things with a Disney logo on Etsy? Mickey silhouettes ok, but not face? DCL logo have to be changed to be more generic? I'm just curious... I've thought of selling things like this on Etsy, but not sure what violates Disney copyright. Anyone have a list or anything of what you can and can not sell? I see things on there with DCL logos (can't be ok, can it?), and I see things that I'm sure are generic enough to be ok (disney colors, disney font, but nothing that says "Disney")
FutureDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Kbrush
Mouseketeer

She completely closed up shop. It was very weird. When I found the shop closed I emailed her and got no reply. So I decided to try a Paypal dispute just to make contact and that got a reply saying she had left Etsy but was still filling orders. Then this week I emailed and again got no response. 24 hours later I get a message from PayPal saying they have decided the dispute in my favor and recovered my money. Never a peep from the seller.

I know Etsy is a great resource but there do seem to be several people who have had similar experiences to mine with different sellers/shops. I have now received even more accounts since posting. I do sincerely love the style of my absent FE maker. I hope she tries again but has a better business model and improved communications.
Kbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
ao23
Earning My Ears

Similar story

I ordered a fish extender on Etsy on January 28th for my March 23rd cruise.

After not getting any response to two queries about when it was going to ship this week, I finally cancelled the order and luckily found a ready-made one that the seller agreed to customize with my family name and ship Monday. Only after I initiated a dispute on Etsy did the original seller contact me.

I love Etsy and the seller seemed sincerely apologetic, but I agree with the OP that communication is key.
ao23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
adventure_woman
DIS Veteran

Just out of curiosity - why do you have to wait soooo long to get your custom FE (or accept that you have to wait that long)? I am lucky - my mom will be making ours. She also sells on etsy and ebay and for the life her, she can't figure out what takes those custom makers sooo long to make them! Her turn around is about 5 days, and those are on custom ones. She does get a lot of business from those that are told to wait months and then they never get them!

WDW
LOTS of trips before!
CP CM - Summer 1999
FT CM - May 2000-Dec 2001 (AKL, BC, Poly)
ASMo 11/03 ASMo 11/06 AS Sp/Mo 8/08 ASMo 1/9 ASMu 8/09 ASMu 8/11 ASMu 1/13

DL/DCA
CM - Dec 2000-Feb 2001 (Grand Opening of DCA)
Off-site 12/05

DCL
Magic Eastern Caribbean 1/29/11
adventure_woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDis
Out of curiosity, what are the legal rules of selling things with a Disney logo on Etsy? Mickey silhouettes ok, but not face? DCL logo have to be changed to be more generic? I'm just curious... I've thought of selling things like this on Etsy, but not sure what violates Disney copyright. Anyone have a list or anything of what you can and can not sell? I see things on there with DCL logos (can't be ok, can it?), and I see things that I'm sure are generic enough to be ok (disney colors, disney font, but nothing that says "Disney")
Basically it is all copyrighted. The logos, the characters, pretty much everything. I used to sell children's custom boutique clothing and I hadn't really heard of Disney trying to sue a person for using their images. I think they realize that it generates free publicity for their brand. So although they could sue because it is copyright infringement I haven't heard of them doing it. Dr. Seuss is another story though. I've heard of designers receiving cease and desist letters from lawyers on the behalf of the Dr. Seuss company.

I've seen some people be especially cautious and have a blurb on their ad stating that they are not in anyway affiliated with Disney and they do not claim to be, all rights to the characters belong to the Disney company....blah blah blah
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure_woman
Just out of curiosity - why do you have to wait soooo long to get your custom FE (or accept that you have to wait that long)? I am lucky - my mom will be making ours. She also sells on etsy and ebay and for the life her, she can't figure out what takes those custom makers sooo long to make them! Her turn around is about 5 days, and those are on custom ones. She does get a lot of business from those that are told to wait months and then they never get them!
Can you PM me her link? I don't really sew anymore and I will need a FE.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
ao23
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure_woman View Post
That's a good point. I should have asked more questions, but was lulled into a false sense of security because I thought I had ordered so early.
ao23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Magical Studio Designs was the second attempt by this woman to get a shop going. I discovered it when I was investigating her first "missing shop", which was Magical Vacations. The item photos were the same and the shop creation date was suspicious given that it was started after the first people on the FE FB crafters page started talking about her negatively. One report even said that she had cancelled a fullfilled transaction on Etsy before a buyer could give her negative feedback in order to avoid having it on her account. When enough got through to make her nervous, she started the second shop with a "clean" rating. Had she used different pictures, I would never had known.

And to a PP, no, the shops that are on vacation are clearly marked as such. Her shop disappeared altogether, which made me suspect suspension.

Anyway, since she has a habit of just making a new place to sell things so as to try to avoid feedback, beware of buying FEs/t-shirts/pillowcases from a crafter named Desi. Ask lots of questions and make sure all the answers make sense or at least stay consistent. I got all my money back from PayPal as well, but only because I followed my gut and submitted before the 45 day mark. I could not get any answers from Etsy about whether they had shut her down or not to help me in the claim.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

I am sorry to hear about your experience but I am glad to see that you used paypal, that is truly the safest way to shop online.

I have bought my FE from ETSY seller StitchesNBows, she also has many other Disney items. It was costumed made to our specification, it was better than I expected. Just perfect! Would not hesitate to order from her again or recommend her

http://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchesNBows
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
I am sorry to hear about your experience but I am glad to see that you used paypal, that is truly the safest way to shop online.

I have bought my FE from ETSY seller StitchesNBows, she also has many other Disney items. It was costumed made to our specification, it was better than I expected. Just perfect! Would not hesitate to order from her again or recommend her

http://www.etsy.com/shop/StitchesNBows
StitchesNBows is indeed reliable, but the tradeoff is that she has a very large workload and therefore the designs she offers for the FE are limited only to a few silhouettes. Her shirts and other custom items can be done with almost anything, but we specifically wanted an FE with more variety.

Stitches Aplenty is another reliable shop; she did our FE and our custom FE gifts last years and we were very pleased. We couldn't use her for this year because she is moving her crafting area and isn't taking orders right now.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: