DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
If I have a February use year my points are available on February 1, if I have a December UY they are available 12/1 of that same year ... 10 month difference it's really not that complicated. Of course you can be creative with borrow/banking , but that is available to everyone.
Or viewed another way, with a Dec UY they are available 12/1 of the previous year, 2 months earlier than a Feb UY. If you want to travel in December or January, a Dec UY provides you the points exactly when you need them.

Calendar year doesn't matter. What does matter is how your Use Year overlaps with your travel schedule. We travel Oct - May so with an Oct UY, we get our points at the start of our travel year.

Quote:
As I said before I would never choose a use year on cancellation scenarios which are the exception. Personally I don't know which months I will want to travel in 20-30years ....
But that is not everyone else's situation. It's good to cover these issues so that those who have work or school schedules that can change (to make up for snow days for example) are aware of how a well-chosen UY can make it less likely that they will lose points if they need to reschedule a trip. And some people do know what months they want to travel, for example those who have no desire to visit Florida during the hot and humid months. So again, for those with predictable travel schedules, why not choose a UY that offers you flexibility?
__________________
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
mlayton14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 401

Every calendar year each contract get an allottment of points during a specified month. For the year 2013, what month are the 2013 point allotment available with a February use year? And with a December use year?

We can go in circles over and over here but facts are facts... Each year my points are available to use sooner than someone with a later month unless you want to borrow from the next year
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Every calendar year each contract get an allottment of points during a specified month. For the year 2013, what month are the 2013 point allotment available with a February use year? And with a December use year?

We can go in circles over and over here but facts are facts... Each year my points are available to use sooner than someone with a later month unless you want to borrow from the next year
If we both want to make a reservation for May 2013 with current UY points, you would use Feb 2013 points and I would use Oct 2012 points. Points are points. Why is using 2013 points better than using 2012 points for that reservation?
__________________
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
DannysMom
DIS Veteran
 
DannysMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 2,023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14
Every calendar year each contract get an allottment of points during a specified month. For the year 2013, what month are the 2013 point allotment available with a February use year? And with a December use year?

We can go in circles over and over here but facts are facts... Each year my points are available to use sooner than someone with a later month unless you want to borrow from the next year
Yeah,but no matter the UY, you can book 11 months out at your home resort. So if you wish to travel to your home resort in Feb 2014, you can book it in March 2013. This is true no matter if your UY is February or October or December. What might change is what years points you use. With a Feb UY, you will be using 2014 points. With a Dec UY or Oct UY you will be using 2013 points. No difference in reality.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
__________________
--Me! & DH ,- 10 YEARS OLD, mild CP, & a Disney fan & twins, & --4!
DVC BCV owners!
DannysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Every calendar year each contract get an allottment of points during a specified month. For the year 2013, what month are the 2013 point allotment available with a February use year? And with a December use year?

We can go in circles over and over here but facts are facts... Each year my points are available to use sooner than someone with a later month unless you want to borrow from the next year
It true that you get your points at the beginning of your UY month but to be honest, I never look at it that way. All I am interested in is how many points are available when we want to vacation.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
mlayton14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 401

Sure you can use your prior year pts, never implied that you couldn't. I would rather get my annual points sooner than later, if someone else doesn't and knows exactly when they will want to vacation for the better part of their contract more power to you
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #22
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
If I have a February use year my points are available on February 1, if I have a December UY they are available 12/1 of that same year ... 10 month difference it's really not that complicated. Of course you can be creative with borrow/banking , but that is available to everyone.

As I said before I would never choose a use year on cancellation scenarios which are the exception. Personally I don't know which months I will want to travel in 20-30years ....
Getting points sooner only gives additional value on one cycle. It adds essentially 1/12 of the yearly value of a point per each month you get them earlier. And even that assumes you actually will use them for a desired trip or rent them at market prices. Over the years many people have to change or cancel that never thought they would, IMO, this is a much larger issue than most realize (same for RCI, DCL, etc as well). Since DVC allows you to use the points during the UY without paying maint fees ahead, you have a year to use them. If the UY opens sooner it also closes sooner and again, you only had ONE year where you had potential increased benefit. On such a contract in this situation you're talking at most a $700 advantage Dec to April, less Dec to Feb. That assumes you pay the full fees on all then current points. The risk of cancelations over the years is fairly high and the risk of using Title insurance essentially non existent with a little investigation. For one that doesn't have a plan to travel that is defined, I'd agree that getting the best deal with the earliest points is better but IMO, the benefit of a good UY outweighs getting the points earlier all else being equal.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
mlayton14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 401

I follow you but again you are also assuming your travel habits won't change over 30 or more years? I for one have been in every season and am not going to assume that I will always want the fall or Easter or whatever , the whole panic over cancellation and losing your points for scenarios that are unpredictable to start with is rather nonsensical to me. Give me my points early every year ...
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
I follow you but again you are also assuming your travel habits won't change over 30 or more years? I for one have been in every season and am not going to assume that I will always want the fall or Easter or whatever , the whole panic over cancellation and losing your points for scenarios that are unpredictable to start with is rather nonsensical to me. Give me my points early every year ...
That's why I prefaces for those that have a travel pattern in mind. Even if they change you're at worst back to your suggested scenario but no worse of than your scenario would put them and they're potentially better off with the other scenario. With DVC, getting your points early gives you no benefit unless you'll actually use them during that extra time and every extra time you get up front you lose on the back side. It's not like some systems where you either have to prepay the fees or get to a certain point before you can use your points. You can use them at the same time for a given trip with any UY. However, if you have to change or cancel you have extra months to either use those points or to bank them. Plus you have a better chance of banking them. The banking rules are what they are now but they could also change and haven't always been what they currently are. I would submit that it's be very unusual for a member to never have to change or cancel a trip on shorter notice over the life of the contract and only one such episode could easily cost a whole years points or even more in some cases. The ONLY benefit to your suggestion is that you may get more points earlier ONE year. That's potentially worth a few hundred dollars one time and one time only. If you can give me another scenario where there's actually a benefit to getting your points 4-6 months prior to when you'll actually use them, I'm all ears. I can't think of another benefit and there's risk.

One thing I have said in the past is this. For many it's often worth getting a better deal rather than worrying about the perfect UY. That potentially combines the one time benefit AND a lower price/better deal but still carries the same risks mentioned above. However, the numbers may end up being a couple of thousand difference rather than a few hundred $$ difference. I do agree that for some their habits are such that UY doesn't matter much but as the OP describes their situation, that is not the case here.
__________________
Dean

Last edited by Dean; 03-08-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
maburke
DIS Veteran
 
maburke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
Thank you all.

I'm not too concerned about cancelling as we always have to book so far ahead and have that risk with our regular holidays, whether our travel insurance would pay out I'm unsure.
If we went for a feb/march/April UY we would need a contract with no points for 2013 on or we would need to sell them I think as by may 2014 they would have run out. I suppose a contract with no points on for 2013 would be best as then we wouldn't have to pay MF. We would then always be borrowing on our year ahead for our two yearly trip rather than banking.
I hope that makes sense.
More than makes sense, you've hit on something important. If you are reliably traveling only every other year, then you're better to be in a borrowing mode than a banking mode. We do this with our VGC points -- I know that we will only go to California every other year, so I book enough nights to use up all current and borrow a bit into the next year. That way, I'm never losing banked points. It is a bit risky in terms of cancelling, because the borrowed points stay in the current year, but that's okay with us. Since we travel early in the use year, if we had to change our dates, we'd be okay. (Also, I recommend you look into the DVC insurance -- I think it's a good deal, and with international flights, it might be a very good deal.)

But don't worry too much about finding a contract without 2013 points -- you can splurge and take a longer first trip! Or, you could consider buying a slightly smaller contract to start. You will gradually borrow more and more out of the following UY, and when it comes close to running out, you can skip a year, or rent what you need, or do an add-on.
__________________
Meghan & DH & ds 17 ds 14 (both with autism) dd 10



1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
maburke
DIS Veteran
 
maburke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,241

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Sure you can use your prior year pts, never implied that you couldn't. I would rather get my annual points sooner than later, if someone else doesn't and knows exactly when they will want to vacation for the better part of their contract more power to you
But your point depends entirely on when your starting point is. For resales, it really depends on whether the contract is loaded, current, or stripped. For new construction, it depends on the opening date. For a recent resort (I think it was BLT), it opened in September, and DVD decided that June UYs and later would get that year's points. Those of us with Feb, March, and April UYs lost out on a year's worth of points. No discount on the price, we just got one year's less points out of the lifetime of the contract, because everybody's contract ends the same year. It sucked.
__________________
Meghan & DH & ds 17 ds 14 (both with autism) dd 10



1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
Jobelly
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Newcastle, uk
Posts: 66

Good to know Maburke about the banking/borrowing. Will also check into dvc insurance thanks.
Jobelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
LisaS
DIS Veteran
 
LisaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MA & AKV/BWV/VWL
Posts: 10,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobelly View Post
Good to know Maburke about the banking/borrowing. Will also check into dvc insurance thanks.
I don't know what the DVC insurance covers in terms of flight costs, but for lodging it reimburses you only for the dues on the points you used. Better than nothing but less than they're worth.
__________________
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #29
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 31,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
But your point depends entirely on when your starting point is. For resales, it really depends on whether the contract is loaded, current, or stripped. For new construction, it depends on the opening date. For a recent resort (I think it was BLT), it opened in September, and DVD decided that June UYs and later would get that year's points. Those of us with Feb, March, and April UYs lost out on a year's worth of points. No discount on the price, we just got one year's less points out of the lifetime of the contract, because everybody's contract ends the same year. It sucked.
And less maint fees but not a full years less, better to have the points in this situation if possible. However, the system can't absorb too many extra points so there has to be a limit. Their choice was reasonable but unfortunate for those on the outside looking in.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
maburke
DIS Veteran
 
maburke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
And less maint fees but not a full years less, better to have the points in this situation if possible. However, the system can't absorb too many extra points so there has to be a limit. Their choice was reasonable but unfortunate for those on the outside looking in.
Agreed. I was just making the point to mlayton14 that it's not always best to have a UY early in the year; it depends on your starting point.
__________________
Meghan & DH & ds 17 ds 14 (both with autism) dd 10



1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.