Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerone View Post
thanks for the post opp and I DO think you have the right to put this in writing. you are not giving it a review as such, just letting us know to do the research. you may have saved someone from wasting money.
thanks for caring enough to share.
I agree.

Actually it was the descriptions of the excursion by people who liked it that have turned me off entirely from the thought of ever doing such an excursion. I have a feeling that a stingray doesn't really appreciate being handed around like a pizza box, or *kissed* by humans.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2011 View Post
Sting Ray City can get crowded, this is why they call it sting ray city as when you are driving away it looks like a city of boats. At least that is what our tour guide told us I would never go on the Disney excursion, because there is obviously going to be hoards of people.

I researched on trip advisor & went on the Sting Ray City wave runner tour through Fat Fish Adventures. It was amazing & well worth the price. There were only 6 people in our group, and it was definitely one of the best parts of our Fantasy Cruise. Fat Fish knows when all of the big tours go, so they schedule their tours accordingly. We were the first group to arrive to SRC & had the place to ourselves for the most part. We finished up just in time to see all the poor folks pulling up on jam packed boats. I felt really sorry for them!

I know that many people are scared to book an excursion independently, but have no fear! We even had to reschedule because our itinerary got changed up due to a medical emergency, and Fat Fish was super accommodating. I left a review with photos on trip advisor "Jet Skiing with Fat Fish was the highlight of our cruise"
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...s.html#REVIEWS
Thanks for the info. 3 of us on one ski for $200 seems like a great deal.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
5forDis
Mouseketeer

Nurse-can you tell me more about fat fish & the jet skis? We looked into it but didn't know if my kids would be the right ages (ages 8, 11, 13). Could 1 child ride with my husband and 2 with me? Do you have to drive fast?

14 12 9

5forDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Homefixitguru
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

I agree.

Actually it was the descriptions of the excursion by people who liked it that have turned me off entirely from the thought of ever doing such an excursion. I have a feeling that a stingray doesn't really appreciate being handed around like a pizza box, or *kissed* by humans.
Actually stingrays have the personality of cats they like to be held and rubbed. You hand them like a pizza box so that you keep them in the water so they can breath. If they didn't like what was happening the rays would not come back or would become aggressive to the people their.
Homefixitguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homefixitguru View Post
Actually stingrays have the personality of cats they like to be held and rubbed. You hand them like a pizza box so that you keep them in the water so they can breath. If they didn't like what was happening the rays would not come back or would become aggressive to the people their.
That is what I was also told by a zoologist on our boat (someone cruising not the tour agency). She said that is why you see lots of zoo's have sting ray petting areas. It exposes the kids to animals without a risk to the kids or animals.
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

I think OP gave you all a good heads up. You can do what you want with it. At any given time of day Stingray City can be unbearably crowded, depending on how many ships are in port. I do not book any cruise any where until I research how many ships are to be in port on my day. If you are in St Thomas or St Maarten on a day with 8 ships in port or several plus the Allure or Oasis you do not want to be there. It would feel like Christmas week at MK or worse because there are not amenities to handle that many people.

Winter is always the most crowded because many ships that are other places in the summer come to the Caribbean in the winter. The summer is pretty crowded too. We have learned to, and are able to travel in May and fall months and everywhere is less crowded. My favorite time was to be in Aruba and Curacao and be the only ship in port!
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014, Nov 2014 (B2B) RCCL Enchantment Nov 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
thehighprincess44
Earning My Ears

We did it last January and it was absolutely fabulous!!!!!! Perfect temps, great day, low crowd. We went back 4th of July and it was a nightmare. Simply volume issues. I think most of the tour groups do a great job, but volume hurts. We leave the 23rd and I am very concerned about volume tours. I think DCL does a great job choosing partners, but anybody can get overwhelmed with five sold out ships! And it is disappointing to not get a fair shake and time.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #23
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5forDis
Nurse-can you tell me more about fat fish & the jet skis? We looked into it but didn't know if my kids would be the right ages (ages 8, 11, 13). Could 1 child ride with my husband and 2 with me? Do you have to drive fast?
The jet skis go at about 40 mph max. You do have togo a certain speed so you can at least keep the tour guide in your sight. I think you will have to email or call them to ask if you can have 2 children ride with one adult. The appropriateness of the tour depends on your kids. I think it would be ok if your kids were interested and understand that the sting rays rub up against you. There was a 10 year old girl in our tour group and she screamed hysterically before sitting on the jet skis for the rest of sting ray portion of our tour.

We were very impressed with fat fish. It was a very personal experience, and our tour guide made sure to take photos of us during every segment of the tour. He even took our camera down when we were snorkeling & got close up pics of the fish for us.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
delauzons
Mouseketeer

We are going to Grand Cayman on the Wonder in 2 weeks and were so excited to go to Stingray City. We booked it with an outside company. I just checked and there will be 6 cruise ships in port that day. Do you think it is worth going to or should I look to do something else? We are a family of five-3 girls-8, 14, and 17. Any other suggestions? We are doing Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. TIA
Old 03-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by delauzons
We are going to Grand Cayman on the Wonder in 2 weeks and were so excited to go to Stingray City. We booked it with an outside company. I just checked and there will be 6 cruise ships in port that day. Do you think it is worth going to or should I look to do something else? We are a family of five-3 girls-8, 14, and 17. Any other suggestions? We are doing Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. TIA
What time is your tour?
Old 03-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #26
Drew Sailbum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
I can understand how Stingray City can become excessively crowed with boats and folks during heavy port days.
I do feel for the rays.

No wonder they're sooo big. Folks have been feeding them, for at least 50 years, like this.

I wonder if they can fend for themselves anymore.

Has anyone ever been injured during this adventure? I've never heard reports....
Addressing these questions...
The rays have been hand fed since 1981. For many years before that they were congregating in the area to snap up the scraps that the fishermen would throw overboard while cleaning their daily catch. At first the hand feeding was just a very few scuba divers. Snorkel trips and cruise ship passengers came much later. Rays are very long lived species so some of the early rays to be hand fed may still be out there today.

Yes, the rays are perfectly capable of going off and fending for themselves. They had to do so for several weeks after Hurricane Ivan in 2004. Every winter there are always a few occasions where snorkel trips cannot go out for a few days at a time due to rough seas. The rays are always there when we go back out.

Yes, injuries do happen on stingray excursions. Stingray hickeys are a common, even daily, occurrence but are not particularly serious. Fewer than about 10 people are stung by a ray at the sandbar each year. To keep it in perspective, a few hundred thousand visitors make a trip to the sandbar every year! Probably more people are injured by falling on the boat ride to/from the sandbar than are stung by the rays.
Drew Sailbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #27
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

We sailed in Jan on RCCL IOS and booked tour with Capt Marvins. Most of the other cruisers aboard were from the disney ship (same as on Cozumel). OT i don't recommend this provider was just ok imo, will go back to Nativeway next trip.

Always better to book smaller boat to get more personalized attention, especially in GC on Stingway Tour if only to have more space to maneuver in the water.

fyi, It's easy enough to check the various port calendars (google) to see exactly how many other ships will be in port when you are and what hours before you commit to booking a cruise/excursions plans.

delauzons - nachi cocum was amazing, restful day! will def go back next visit to cozumel.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #28
delauzons
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2011 View Post
What time is your tour?
We are booked at 9 am.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #29
delauzons
Mouseketeer

delauzons - nachi cocum was amazing, restful day! will def go back next visit to cozumel.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear! We were debating between Nachi Cocum and the Fury but decided we would rather relax. Glad you had a great time!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #30
delauzons
Mouseketeer

Bump*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: