Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
tajz90
Mama D

We HAD to wear shorts on our Med cruise 07 because we lost ALL of our luggage and we could only find/purchase so many things before the cruise took off. We either had to shop or sight see.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
cieslack
Mouseketeer

The whole Atmosphere of a cruise is supposed to be relaxing. I have to wear a tie every day to work and I take a vacation to dress in comfort. I don't see that wearing nice shorts is disrespectful of others. I don't care one bit if someone wears their "NASCAR hat" to dinner. I would hope that nobody takes offense at what I wear, but someone who would let the way I dress ruin their dinner would probably find something else to be offended by.
cieslack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cieslack View Post
The whole Atmosphere of a cruise is supposed to be relaxing. I have to wear a tie every day to work and I take a vacation to dress in comfort. I don't see that wearing nice shorts is disrespectful of others. I don't care one bit if someone wears their "NASCAR hat" to dinner. I would hope that nobody takes offense at what I wear, but someone who would let the way I dress ruin their dinner would probably find something else to be offended by.
I agree with everything in your post. I would never wear a hat in the MDR's even when I would go into one at lunch, I'd take it off and stick it in one of the pockets in my shorts.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #34
ericw
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyem

We were told by guest services "shorts are no problem" "you don't need to change" for MDR's on the Dream when I mentioned we had to go change for dinner. We all wore shorts and t-shirts for dinner that night and were one of many.
I can vouch for that......
I've posted this before but I showed up at dress up night on the Dream , Enchanted Garden in shorts, sneakers and an "Outlaw Apparel" tee shirt from "Storage Wars" No one said a thing. Not my first choice but we were running late. We've got Palo reservations coming up in april on the fantasy so I'll have to plan a little better.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
over50visits
DIS Veteran

All of the clothing threads seem to come down to two topics. First is whether shorts are okay for dinner. Lots of differing opinions, kind of a discussion on what the policy should be.

But the policy exists and is clear, so...

The second is whether to follow DCL policy. Some think you should, others think since it is not enforced you don't need to.

The first topic is an interesting insight into the varied opinions on appropriate dress in the MDR setting. The second is an interesting insight into our views of when to follow rules.

In the end it's an easy topic to discuss, but the discussion won't change much of what happens on the ship. But fun as long as its civil. I think aqua duck strategies are more fun to read!

Now lets see...how much should I tip?
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #36
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
The nice things is, if you're only going to be in slacks for dinner and you usually don't make a habit of running a post-dinner 10k before having a mud fight, you can totally get away with one pair of long pants per cruise, two if you're fancy and want both black and tan.
This is what I am doing for both DH and DS. Plus throw in 1 nice dress shirt and 2 different ties for each of them (for formal and semi-formal nights). Voila!!! Dinner clothes for the men is DONE.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #37
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

A policy is only as good as its enforcement. There is no point in having it posted anywhere if they do not make people abide by it.

The nice shorts and polo shirt is what we here call "desert attire" and it is what you will see in almost every restaurant around this golf resort town in the Coachella Valley. Everyone looks very nice and appropriate. Of course, our typical late Spring, Summer, early Fall temps are around 110 degrees so it makes sense. Probably not that hot on the ship. Either way, I think I will wear pants, most likely jeans, and nice tops and shoes. Had to force myself to buy a skirt for formal night...never wear them, but will abide by the code.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #38
BEYONCE
Mouseketeer

My first disney cruise I wore shorts to almost every dinner because I didn't do any planning or even look at disneys website, I was invited by someone and didnt really do any planning I just paid and went!

I didn't even know what the navigator was for until the last day when I sat down at cc and read it!

Now I know and I have read disneys website I follow the rules and I have been on 3 cruises since then. And now I know I would never feel comfortable wearing shorts to dinner again mostly because its so cold to me in the mdrs!

I wouldn't mind someone wearing shorts, the way I see it they're not bothering anyone, Also your legs are mostly under the table!
BEYONCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
disneylover2170
Earning My Ears

I wore a short dress not very fancy and the boys wore polo and kacky
disneylover2170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #40
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

My husband brought two pairs of pants for dinner. One khaki pair for most dinners and black pair for formal and semi-formal night. (I think he might have worn jeans on the pirate night.) He didn't have to pack two outfits for each day, just a couple of extra pieces of clothing he mixed and matched.

I actually don't care much what other people wear to dinner in most cases. On the semi-formal night though I saw a man dressed in cut off jean shorts and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. I don't begrudge him trying to be comfortable on his vacation but I was glad I wasn't one of his tablemates, trying to enjoy my lobster while his underarm hair waved around in my face.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #41
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Assuming you were to adhere to the guidelines, for the "dress up night" are jackets required for men or will slacks, shirt and tie acceptable?

Last edited by Ravenne; 04-01-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: