Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
ludari
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandgsmom View Post
Do men wear pants to dinner every night or can they wear khaki shorts and a polo shirt? I know on the formal and semi formal that they're dressed up but was wondering about the other nights. Thanks!
I've worn khaki hiking type shorts with a polo or dress shirt on a few occasions but typically try to avoid this, however this is my personal preference. I have seen people wear what ever they feel comfortable in and I am never one to judge. I feel it's their vacation and they can wear what makes them feel comfortable.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

I think I'm just really moody today because I'm gonna say it. Clothing threads bring out some really insufferable people.

Is dress expected to be the same in the casual dining area as well? On other cruises I've been on, if you don't want to do formal - or dress in pants for dinner, you could go to the buffet. As DCL doesn't have dinner buffets, is pizza/burger/deli our only option for eating in shorts without "breaking the rules"?
mbrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrocker View Post
I think I'm just really moody today because I'm gonna say it. Clothing threads bring out some really insufferable people.

Is dress expected to be the same in the casual dining area as well? On other cruises I've been on, if you don't want to do formal - or dress in pants for dinner, you could go to the buffet. As DCL doesn't have dinner buffets, is pizza/burger/deli our only option for eating in shorts without "breaking the rules"?
DCL is wonderful! In the MDRs they have a crystal clear dress code. Want to eat in shorts/t shirts? The buffet is a wonderful place to eat, has a great selection, and you can enjoy the view. Want to eat in swimsuits? Tasty and even some healthy options available on deck in the quick service locations. Want to eat in your pajamas? Room service 24 hours a day.

Something for everyone. Don't worry about what to wear, however you want to dress there is an appropriate, comfortable dining venue for you.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
DCL is wonderful! In the MDRs they have a crystal clear dress code. Want to eat in shorts/t shirts? The buffet is a wonderful place to eat, has a great selection, and you can enjoy the view. Want to eat in swimsuits? Tasty and even some healthy options available on deck in the quick service locations. Want to eat in your pajamas? Room service 24 hours a day.

Something for everyone. Don't worry about what to wear, however you want to dress there is an appropriate, comfortable dining venue for you.
Well said.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
ChloroFiend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
My husband wears jeans most nights and feels comfortable in them.
This is what I wear in the MDR as well, save for formal and semi-formal nights.
ChloroFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
DCL specifically asks for no shorts in the dining rooms.

However, according to most reports, this is not enforced.

Palo and Remy are for the most part enforced.

We were told by guest services "shorts are no problem" "you don't need to change" for MDR's on the Dream when I mentioned we had to go change for dinner. We all wore shorts and t-shirts for dinner that night and were one of many.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Sir William
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
Others have posted the dress code rules. I always wear pants in the MDRs for dinner. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing shorts for dinner, but some men did.

Mike
Same here. I take two pairs of pants and two shirts (aloha in the Caribbean, polo for other destinations) to wear at dinner. I alternate them each evening, but on one occasion I was glad for the second pair as one was damaged beyond repair. After dinner, I often shift back into shorts.

I really don't understand the reluctance of some to dress even semi-nicely for dinner. Yes, they are on vacation but then so am I. Their "me first" attitude demonstrates a lack of respect for themselves and their fellow passengers.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014
Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post

Be careful, you don't want to break the rules now. According to the website, under Topsiders:

Dress Code
The dress code for dinner is cruise casual. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner.

So, per the rules, no shorts even at the "non MDR" sit down location.

I do think this is a major failing of DCL. I may want "Saturday casual" dress for a sit down meal. I'm willing to go outside the MDRs .. but I don't want pizza/hot dogs/deli every night for dinner.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
tajz90
Mama D

Maybe it's not a lack of respect. Maybe dressing in a pair of decent shorts is considered acceptable where they are from.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #25
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Be careful, you don't want to break the rules now. According to the website, under Topsiders:

Dress Code
The dress code for dinner is cruise casual. However, you are requested to not wear tank tops, swim wear or shorts for dinner.

I do think this is a major failing of DCL. I may want "Saturday casual" dress for a sit down meal. I'm willing to go outside the MDRs .. but I don't want pizza/hot dogs/deli every night for dinner.
There is another option for you and that would be topsider. Very night, you wouldn't wear a wet bathing suit but you can dress and pretty much get the same food you do in the MDR.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
mbrocker
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Dress Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
There is another option for you and that would be topsider. Very night, you wouldn't wear a wet bathing suit but you can dress and pretty much get the same food you do in the MDR.
Please read again. The actual rules for TOPSIDER say no shorts. Just like in the MDRs.

I think that DCL chooses to treat their Dress code as a guideline and not a requirement (except Palo/Remy) .. but some people are really really sticklers for the "rules of dress".
Old 03-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #27
tmclanton
Mouseketeer

This is just for dinner, correct? We can wear shorts for breakfast and lunch???

2001 & 2002 Offsite
2006 Pop Century
2008 VWL
2008 WL- Mother and Son Christmas Trip
2013 40th Birthday Magic Cruise

tmclanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #28
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclanton View Post
This is just for dinner, correct? We can wear shorts for breakfast and lunch???
Yes.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
I really don't understand the reluctance of some to dress even semi-nicely for dinner. Yes, they are on vacation but then so am I. Their "me first" attitude demonstrates a lack of respect for themselves and their fellow passengers.
I'm not sure how someone wearing a nice par of shorts is not dressing semi - nicely. Not everyone wants to wear pants when they are on a cruise.I just don't see why people seem so judgmental about it here on the Dis. If one of my table mates came to dinner in short one night I wouldn't care, heck I've gone to dinner in shorts and a polo shirt. As for saying this is part of a me first attitude and a lack of respect for other passengers I really don't get that.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #30
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

I didn't dress up for dinner because I didn't have room in my luggage for a couple extra pair of pants, another pair of shoes, dress socks, etc. There's only so much room in my carry-on bag - no checked bags for me.

I did wear jeans every night, by the way. I was too scared off to wear shorts. I won't be afraid to wear them next time.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: