Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #16
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn View Post
...Is there enough food provided to be light meals for the most part?
Will they provide water for us to take to the parks?
Thanks for any help!
We have stayed at many of the Disney clubs. In my opinion, CL offerings are more a like then they were 10 years ago. They maintain some differences, since they often get some items off the resorts TS restaurants menu offerings. There are people on these boards who will claim you can make a meal out of the evening appetizers...I am not one of them. Even in the last 5 years the offerings continue to dwindle. Is it to cut cost or make a greater distinction between DDP and Club, as some think it is another form of a dining plan. It is not.

You will not find the bottled water in the club refrigerator anymore. When requested you are typically directed to the bottled water in glass containers provided in the serving area. Other recently stated CMs recently told them you can request it directly from a CM to get a few. Past abuse brought about change and requesting is a method to control utilization levels, since unused bottles in your room are thrown out when you leave.

Overall, worth is something you will need to determine. It offers a lounge (place to hang-out other then your room), club level access, a view, location, convenience, drinks, very basic food offerings during specific times, check-in service and on-sight club level assistance help. You can easily make your own ADRs on-line and know its been done right. IPOs are understaffed and process request based upon your arrival date, so you can easily go into a que if someone books late, but arrives before you. Club expense never validates to be a one for one transaction. You will not eat or drink the amount you pay. For us booking early can result in possibly getting a rate that equate to the cost of a Disney breakfast.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by osugal View Post
I don't think CL is something that people do because it's cost effective. I think it's something that's considered a luxury that appeals to some - just like most things at Disney.
I agree. We have never stayed CL at the CR but have stayed CL at other resorts and while we do love it and think it's worth the cost (for us), we don't do it for the food alone. I love having the lounge as a place to relax other than sitting in our room or somewhere else around the resort and depending on the CL, the views can be awesome from the lounge. With that said, it is great having snacks/drinks throughout the day/evening, but IMO, staying CL just for the food isn't worth the extra cost. I have never used IPO as I like making my own ADRs, but they are there if you want to use them and/or have any questions. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
I agree. We have never stayed CL at the CR but have stayed CL at other resorts and while we do love it and think it's worth the cost (for us), we don't do it for the food alone. I love having the lounge as a place to relax other than sitting in our room or somewhere else around the resort and depending on the CL, the views can be awesome from the lounge. With that said, it is great having snacks/drinks throughout the day/evening, but IMO, staying CL just for the food isn't worth the extra cost. I have never used IPO as I like making my own ADRs, but they are there if you want to use them and/or have any questions. Good luck.

I agree, especially with the part I put in bold. We love CL for the reasons above, but anyone who thinks they're going to get their money back in food will be sorely disappointed. CL is above all else about convenience. Some are willing to pay a premium for it, some aren't.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I also think party size is a big factor as is how yyour family eats. We are five and breakfast for us consists of endless cups of coffee and lots of fruit and yogurt. Adds up in the park or QS. We are also not big dessert people, so the DDP usually makes us eat in a manner we don't typically eat. We would prefer to sit in the lounge post afternoon break, have a glass of wine and some apps the head to dinner and the parks. If the lounge is still open when we are done with the parks the kids may grab a cookie.
Ultimately, the space is the biggest factor. While we all 'fit' in a room having some where to spread out is great. My girls would go up to the lounge and do homework or read during our break while my DS was pretending to nap.

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I think staying CL whether or it is "Worth" the cost is different in each and every case. I personally would love to stay CL at CR to be guaranteed of a room on the 12th floor is it worth it for us ? No since there are two of us only we prefer a full breakfast, lunch and Dinner and do not drink the lounge offerings have little appeal to us. $900 will pay for the DxDP for us.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbat View Post
We love CL for the reasons above, but anyone who thinks they're going to get their money back in food will be sorely disappointed. CL is above all else about convenience. Some are willing to pay a premium for it, some aren't.
It's definitely about convenience for us. Having lounge access is nice and being able to grab a snack or a drink anytime during the day is great. But we definitely don't get our money back on food and drinks. I've stayed both CL and non-CL and it's really just the convenience that we miss when we don't book CL -- food is easy enough to find at WDW.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Thank you all so much! I didn't think I would get so many responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phewms View Post
We just returned from the WDW Friday. We stayed 6 nights at the Contemporary... me, DH and DS - 4. We were not on the meal plan and the only ADR we scheduled was Chef Mickey's.

We had a garden view room and was able to watch Wishes from the comfort of our room every night. DS is afraid of the noise of the fireworks so we kept the door closed, but it was still a nice treat for DH and I.

Almost every morning, we had a quick breakfast at the Contempo Cafe and then headed to the parks. We brought empty, reuseable water bottles on the trip with us and would fill them up in the mornings from the Cafe. We ate lunch at the parks and would always ask for ice water to refill our bottles.

I'm sure CL offers other perks, but for $900 extra, I would keep the Garden View.
Thank your for your opinion and the tips!! I love me some tips!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Club level's worth is relative. It depends on the family. You'd be spending $128 and change per night for club level.

What do the three of you spend on breakfast? How many beers/glasses of wine do you typically order while on vacation? Do you enjoy both appetizers and desserts, and will you be around the resort to enjoy them?

For the two of you and a young child, it may not be cost effective, and you could definitely spend a lot less than $128 per day for the food and drinks. You do gain the convenience of a quick and easy breakfast, and you can grab some drinks and relax at the hotel while your little one is asleep.

For me it is a little easier to justify, as I have a family of 5. The convenience factor makes it worth it.
We usually have extremely light breakfasts, and we've only bought an alcoholic beverage once while at WDW! Totally spot on questions!

I could definitely see how bigger families and those with older children who need a little more space could find it MUCH easier to justify CL.

Quote:
I don't think CL is something that people do because it's cost effective. I think it's something that's considered a luxury that appeals to some - just like most things at Disney.
I think it can be cost effective in a way, just not looking at it dollars to dollars. For us I think we've all pretty much determined that it would be a costly luxury that we don't necessarily need. But I can definitely see it making more sense for some people. Plus we don't know what we are really missing!

Thanks everyone! I'm going to stick with GW and book a couple more character meals!
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #23
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

I think you are making the right choice by not staying CL. IMO, there are only a few reasons to stay CL anymore. One, if you are staying at the Poly you know you will be in Hawaii which I love the location of. Second, if you can get a discount that brings CL down to a regular price. We love the convenience of the lounge for breakfast but would not pay rack rate for it. We find it hard to be around our resort in time for the evening offerings but it is nice to get snacks in the afternoon while at the pool.

Have a wonderful trip!
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #24
CTH3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think it's something that's considered a luxury that appeals to some - just like most things at Disney.
I agree!

Walt Disney World itself is a completely unnecessary luxury. The whole nutty place is a silly, fantastical, nonessential, completely expendable (and expensive) extravagance. No one has to go there at all. It is a delightful luxury, not a necessity.

For most people I know, going to WDW is a luxury that is not worth the money. For my family, and most people on the DISboards, it is.

Trying to parse out which parts of a WDW vacation are "worth it" and which are "not worth it" is always 1000% subjective.

As is the "worth" of Walt Disney World itself.
CTH3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: