Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

The murphy bed is 5.5' by 2.5'. About the same width as a crib mattress, but a bit longer than a crib mattress.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

Ours are a little younger, but we pack a lot also (drive) and we were fine. My DD (10 at the time) 5' and 95# slept just fine on the murphy bed.

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

We stayed Nov '11 when the renovated rooms first opened up. I went with 3 teenage girls. My youngest was 13 and around 5 ft. She fit just fine on the murphy bed. It wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world but it worked for what we needed it for. The only requests I had was for a renovated room on the corner (for the extra window to seem bigger). We stay at the park most of the time so having a lot of room wasn't an issue and the double sinks were nice . We would go back in an instant and actually will be for one night before checking into Wilderness lodge in a few months .

1977 Heck...I don't remember, I was 4 .
2002 Holiday Inn Family Suites (Nick hotel now)
2007 Pop Century
2010 Windsor Hills
2011 POR
2013 Wilderness Lodge/POR/CSR
2013 Pop Century
2014 POFQ x 2
2015 POFQ
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

Hated POR. We stayed there Dec 11 when we had DD7, DD6, DS5 (no baby). It was very tight. We don't spend a lot of time in the room either. We will stay at SOG in one room if we have too (bigger rooms than anything Disney offers), but prefer 2 rooms. We need the extra bed and extra bathroom is also a plus.
Plus, the room we got in Alligator Bayou was so far away from the main building that we drove. Didn't even feel we could use our mugs.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
gilesmt
DIS Veteran

We have done it, before the Murphy bed, I think 2008, kids, 17,14, 3. It was not bad, but was cramped, we did not spend much time in room. We love the resort, but we found SoG, twice the space and a full size day bed, and always cheaper, so we can not justify going back.
gilesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #21
justcallmeminnie
Earning My Ears

Very do-able! My family did the same thing with 9-15-17. 15 and 17 were girls and the 9 year old was a boy. We were all about average for our ages and we fit comfortably without tripping over each other. We were hardly in the room except for bed, shower, and TV before bed. Other than that we were out and about. We never had any trouble with the size of the room compared to the amount of people in the room.

1998 All Star Music | 2001 All Star Movies | 2007 All Star Movies | 2010 Port Orleans Riverside | 2011 Port Orleans Riverside | 2013 Port Orleans Riverside

DM (43) DF (42) Me (18) DS (16) DB (11)
justcallmeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
LeahA
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all your responses. Our last 4 trips we've been in an offsite condo, and 3 DVC rentals, not sure if we'll be happy in one room. I know it would be doable, but what were used to, not sure if we'd feel like we have enough room.
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #23
Diz Kids
Mouseketeer

Comparing to one deluxe room I don't think it would feel that cramped; however if you are used to multi-room units I think you will feel very cramped. Our kids are only 8,7, 4, and it is great for us at POR. If you don't spend too much time in the room anyway I would just consider if everyone is comfortable sharing beds and if 1 shower is enough.

Diz Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I think it would be a huge shock to go from having space to spread out to having the family packed all together in one not so big room. If your family was used to sharing a room, I might say go for it. But as they are not used to it at all, I think it wouldn't be a happy experience.

Will your family be ok all watching the same tv show? Sharing one bathroom? Going to sleep at the same time? Getting up at the same time, or being very quiet while the rest of the family sleeps in? These are all things you have to deal with when sharing one room.

I want to add that I have done the legal 6 at POR, and there is no way I would do it again. Waaaay to tight!

Last edited by maxiesmom; 03-07-2013 at 05:06 PM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
MyTwoPrincesses
DIS Veteran

Technically we could do it as a family of five. But I wouldn't consider it for more than a night or two.

My youngest is 2.5. However, a suite is SO much better/more convenient. We stayed in a suite a few months ago when we went to Williamsburg and it was ideal. SO and I can watch tv while the kids sleep - something we can't do in one room because we'd wake the kids up. We will have 2 showers to get ready. To me, those things alone are worth extra money.

After spending ALL day together, I think the extra bit of privacy for the grown-ups is necessary.

Now a Mom of THREE Princesses.
DD (8) , DD (6) DD (3)

1989: Offsite
Nov 2009: 7 days at Coronado Springs
March 2011: 8 days at POFQ
May 2013: 7 days at Art of Animation (Lion King Suites)
Can't stay away! Heading back to WDW in February 2014: 6 days at Port Orleans Riverside
MyTwoPrincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

We are Deluxe people, and we just stayed at POR because we added a day to the front of our trip, and I just wanted a cheap room. We left POR to stay in a 1 bedroom at BLT. I agree - you will probably not like POR if you are used to lots of room! I personally loved the space afforded in the larger room and couldn't imagine spending an entire vacation at POR UNLESS that was all I could afford for that Disney trip! I really liked POR aesthetically, though.

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
LeahA
DIS Veteran

I know that we probably could do it a few nights, but not for the whole week, I am checking into a couple other options now.
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
jhryb
DIS Veteran

I booked a client at this resort with 3 kids aged 5,6,8. I warned them that it would be squishy. They called me as soon as they arrived to tell me that they would need a second room because they would not be able to last a week with 5 people in the room. It really depends on how easy going your family is.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #29
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
The murphy bed is 5.5' by 2.5'. About the same width as a crib mattress, but a bit longer than a crib mattress.
This. It's now a murphy bed - not to be confused with the trundle or daybed (POR has never had daybeds). Murphy beds pull down from the wall so a "larger" or older child could not get away with sleeping on it as their limbs would be hanging off. Since the trundles were on the floor, it was easier to swing it. Not anymore.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #30
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahA View Post
Thanks for all your responses. Our last 4 trips we've been in an offsite condo, and 3 DVC rentals, not sure if we'll be happy in one room. I know it would be doable, but what were used to, not sure if we'd feel like we have enough room.
I was going to suggest using an inflatable mattress instead of the Murphy bed, but if you're accustomed to DVC and offsite condos, you're going to feel cramped with 5 people in a single resort room.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: