Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

On the going down flight, I am usually by a computer at the 24 hour mark and the way SW opens the booking windows, I don't have to buy EB round trip just on the return flight. We usually get a "B" boarding when I do it from home. Coming home though I have always used it. I don't want the hassle of remembering to check in while at the parks. We again, got B but that was ok with us.

I didn't know it had gone up to $12.50 but still better than paying for bags. Our flights always seem to be sold out so we do like the convenience.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post

And I just noticed, they upped the EBCI fee to $12.50 so I'm glad I beat that by a few weeks. They're also likely to institute change fees later this year for "Wanna Get Away" fares - can bag fees be far behind? I'm not liking the direction they are heading.
I have not heard of them adding anymore fees this year? I know EBCI just went up to $12.50 and they are talking about adding a "no show" fee (if you don't fly and also don't cancel the flight) but have heard nothing else.

Could you please share where you heard this? Thanks!

As for the poster who recommended only one person buying EBCI and then saving for the whole family, I truly hope you don't try it. If you have seen the reaction on this thread alone, you can imagine what is going to happen if you actually try it on a plane...
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I have not heard of them adding anymore fees this year? I know EBCI just went up to $12.50 and they are talking about adding a "no show" fee (if you don't fly and also don't cancel the flight) but have heard nothing else.

As for the poster who recommended only one person buying EBCI and then saving for the whole family, I truly hope you don't try it. If you have seen the reaction on this thread alone, you can imagine what is going to happen if you actually try it on a plane...
There is nothing formal out there, but some of us who watch the airline industry see SW becoming more and more like the old "main line" (All the while doing misleading commericals...)
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

It is worth it for the flight home. Then you can enjoy your vacation and not have to worry about checking in right at 24 hours. As long as you can check in at 24 hours for the flight down, then it is not worth the money.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

The way our tickets worked out, we have 4 separate confirmation numbers. So looks like we will have to check in 4 separate times. even doing this at the 24 hr mark, its going to be very annoying. I'm really worried we're all going to have separate boarding numbers and going to be split up from the kids. We'll figure it out but it will be a bit of a hassle.

On the way home, it will be even more interesting. It will mean checking at 3pm on the Sunday. Not sure which park we will be in - but we'll try to schedule a break during that time so we can be in the hotel's business centre to check in. I'm starting to debate if its worth it to pay for 2 EBCI. That way, DH can go on with one child to get an aisle and a window seat. The next child can then go in whenever and take the middle seat. I can just sit wherever.

Or maybe we should just make the kids deal with sitting separately. They get the heebie jeebies sitting next to strangers though. It drives me batty, but they hate doing it, even in rides and shows. Maybe this is a sneaky way I can force them to deal with it *mean mom hat on*.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Since you have 4 confirmation #'s you most likely will be split up - but it shouldn't be that far apart. My advice is to open up 4 browsers and have all the information entered and ready to go ahead of time. Or if your DH can help, he can do two and you can do two. I would consider spending the extra funds for EBCI on your way home. It is really a pain to have to worry about that on your last day of vacation!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine amj View Post
The way our tickets worked out, we have 4 separate confirmation numbers. So looks like we will have to check in 4 separate times. even doing this at the 24 hr mark, its going to be very annoying. I'm really worried we're all going to have separate boarding numbers and going to be split up from the kids. We'll figure it out but it will be a bit of a hassle.

On the way home, it will be even more interesting. It will mean checking at 3pm on the Sunday. Not sure which park we will be in - but we'll try to schedule a break during that time so we can be in the hotel's business centre to check in. I'm starting to debate if its worth it to pay for 2 EBCI. That way, DH can go on with one child to get an aisle and a window seat. The next child can then go in whenever and take the middle seat. I can just sit wherever.

Or maybe we should just make the kids deal with sitting separately. They get the heebie jeebies sitting next to strangers though. It drives me batty, but they hate doing it, even in rides and shows. Maybe this is a sneaky way I can force them to deal with it *mean mom hat on*.
You will, most likely, be split up. But, you can still board together. Let's say one person gets A38, second person gets A49, third gets A60, fourth gets B3. You can all go back to the B group, and get in line with the B3 person, allowing everyone between A38 and B2 move up to fill in the three empty slots.
Or just move two people...probably parents, back to be next to a child.
Or pay for the 2 EBCI, save that one middle seat for one of the kids boarding later, and a parent takes any old single seat they find.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #23
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Unless you get a business traveler like me who just takes your "saved" seat. And we are over the "Rude" trick LOL!

SW will not assist you when you run crying to the FA about someone taking your 'saved' seat.
I love it!!!
Good for you!
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745 View Post
That's what we usually do. I'm not going to interrupt my vacation (especially the last, precious day) to check in. I have no problem interrupting my work, to check in for the flight the down, though!

And I just noticed, they upped the EBCI fee to $12.50 so I'm glad I beat that by a few weeks. They're also likely to institute change fees later this year for "Wanna Get Away" fares - can bag fees be far behind? I'm not liking the direction they are heading.
Where did you hear about : instituting change fees?
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
There is nothing formal out there, but some of us who watch the airline industry see SW becoming more and more like the old "main line" (All the while doing misleading commericals...)
Huh? Bags fly free - and the CEO has said they have no plans to change that?
Or which commercial are you referencing?

SW will start charging for people who book get away fares and then no-show. So if you cancel your flight, you still get full credit - but if you just dont show up - you won't - there will be a penalty.
chicagodisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
You will, most likely, be split up. But, you can still board together. Let's say one person gets A38, second person gets A49, third gets A60, fourth gets B3. You can all go back to the B group, and get in line with the B3 person, allowing everyone between A38 and B2 move up to fill in the three empty slots.
Or just move two people...probably parents, back to be next to a child.
Or pay for the 2 EBCI, save that one middle seat for one of the kids boarding later, and a parent takes any old single seat they find.
I will be in the same boat- when booking with points apparently it is 4 separate checkins for us. Your example above is helpful. I think if we were that example, we would have a parent and child with A38 and A49 line up at A49, and a parent and child with A60 and B3 line up at B3. Actually at ages 14 and 11 maybe my kids would decide pair up instead of parent/child. But they would definitely prefer to be with a family member over a stranger! Say I get A38 and DD14 gets A49...do we have to be the ones lined up at A49, or can we give the boarding numbers to whoever we want within our party?

I also forget how this works- when we have a layover and board the next plane, do we have the same numbers as for the previous plane? Or do we get separate numbers at checkin for the separate planes?

I am definitely doing EBCI for the return. We may or may not have a smartphone, and with 4 separate checkins, I don't want to take my chances on getting online at just the right time on vacation.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post
Where did you hear about : instituting change fees?

http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/t...ml?id=14212696

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #28
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLee View Post
On the going down flight, I am usually by a computer at the 24 hour mark and the way SW opens the booking windows, I don't have to buy EB round trip just on the return flight. We usually get a "B" boarding when I do it from home. Coming home though I have always used it. I don't want the hassle of remembering to check in while at the parks. We again, got B but that was ok with us.

I didn't know it had gone up to $12.50 but still better than paying for bags. Our flights always seem to be sold out so we do like the convenience.

True paying for the bags is a lot more than this. Airtran fares are usually cheaper but you pay 25 now for bags so SW still beats them. I hope SW doesn't start charging for bags when they are fully merged.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #29
jayhawk74
Mouseketeer

mcd2745
The article you quote said that SWA will be tightening the restrictions to their Wanna-Get-away fares and you believe that it means starting to charge a change fee. Well from what SWA has told the employees the new restrictions is that the new no show fee will be applied only to the Wann-Get-Away fares. There are no plans to start charging a change fee!
jayhawk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

We'll see. There's also this article:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ay-fares.html/

I hope it doesn't happen. If I had to pick one or the other, though, I'd rather they add change fees before they add a baggage fee.

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: