DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
WoodysHat
Earning My Ears

Kidani - Noise vs. View?

Hi All! Staying in a 1Bd Savanna View at Kidani this June (first time onsite!!!) and I need some help with our room request. I know requests are not guaranteed, but if they do honor our preference I'm not sure which floor to pick. My first instinct is to pick top floor - I'm a crazy light sleeper and whenever I haven't been on the top floor of a hotel, footsteps above us at night always wake me up and I can never get back to sleep. But...I've also read that the top floor of Kidani is too high to see the animals and I don't want to rob the rest of my family of a better view just because of my sleep issues! So, I guess I'm looking to hear of people who have been on the top floor and thought the view was just fine, or from people who have been on lower levels and have not heard much from neighbors above (I'm thinking since Kidani is relatively new, it may have better soundproofing?)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
WoodysHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

I've been on top floor over at Jambo and had no problems seeing the giraffe. I think my favorite view, however, was the 3rd floor of Kidani. We were just low enough to make out the whites of their eyes, but being level with the foliage it kept guests on the opposite side of the loop from looking directly into our room.

You won't hear much from floor to floor in Kidani, but the hallways are a different ordeal. The closer you are to the lobby the more foot traffic you'll have as well as families yelling ahead to each other and the rare knock and run pranksters we encountered on two different trips (just not cute at 1am!) For this reason I ask to be half way down the loop, which has the bonus being close to the pool area if on the North loop.

Last edited by twinklebug; 03-08-2013 at 03:40 PM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
hakepb
DIS Veteran

The biggest 5th floor complaint is the occasionsl tree tops obscuring animals.

Otherwise you are talking about animals being 60' from your room vs 40' (since the animals are kept 30' from the building anyway. (Good ole Pythagorean theorem) FWIW, I never felt slighted when I first stayed at Jambo on the 5th floor... But closer can be a bit nicer.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
drusba

DIS Veteran

From what you mention, I am assuming you have savanna view. Not sure what noise you are worried about. The animals are seldom noisy. Once in a great while a feeding truck might go by, but otherwise there is not noise, in fact it can be eerily quiet. Maybe you wiull hear feet above but I don't recall even hearing that. In any event, there are only four floors with rooms, 2 through 5 (first floor is the parking lot under the building and you will not hear anything from that lot with savanna view). Personal view is that higher and lower both have their advantages. Higher you get more panoramic view; lower you get more direct sight line to animals. We don't even request floor because we like both of those and just go for luck of the draw for each trip to Kidani. Thus, if you request fifth floor you are likely to be quite pleased with it.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
WoodysHat
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! I think I will request top floor and then if we want to see more eye to eye with the animals, we can go to one of the public viewing areas
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysHat View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I will request top floor and then if we want to see more eye to eye with the animals, we can go to one of the public viewing areas
Also, check the activity schedule for the time in the evening when they have animal viewing through night vision goggles
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
cvjw
DIS Veteran

From one light sleeper to another, I have never had any problems with noise at Kidani Village, and we have stayed there 4 times so far. We have stayed on different floors, and never heard the people above us (don't get me started about a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, where the people above us were so loud our lights were shaking). Maybe we have been lucky, but we always stay in larger villas, and would not hesitate to stay at KV again.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
WoodysHat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw
From one light sleeper to another, I have never had any problems with noise at Kidani Village, and we have stayed there 4 times so far. We have stayed on different floors, and never heard the people above us (don't get me started about a trip to Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, where the people above us were so loud our lights were shaking). Maybe we have been lucky, but we always stay in larger villas, and would not hesitate to stay at KV again.
Thank you! Great to know. I wish I was one of those people that could sleep through anything - it would make traveling a lot easier!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
WoodysHat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakepb

Also, check the activity schedule for the time in the evening when they have animal viewing through night vision goggles
Can't wait for that one! My son (8) will love it!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Pumbaa80
Mouseketeer

We have also stayed at kidani a couple times as well as at Jambo. noise from upstairs neighbors has never been a problem. I enjoy hAving the doors open to hear when the trucks go buy, and sometimes to hear animals. It's fun to jump up and see what's going on. Love, love, love animal kingdom lodge! Have a wonderful vacation!
Pumbaa80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
rpcvpanama
Mouseketeer

My experience was just the opposite. We were on the 3rd floor of Kidani and every night were subjected to the stampede above us when the family returned home for the night. I too am a light sleeper and that type of noise really bothers me. I never heard noise from the hallways, only the stomping, banging and general carrying on from the family above us.

However, as others have said, the best animal viewing is on the lower levels. To me the trade off, better animal viewing is worth the noise. You may get lucky and not have a noisy family above you...it really is random.
rpcvpanama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Hi All! Staying in a 1Bd Savanna View at Kidani this June (first time onsite!!!) and I need some help with our room request. I know requests are not guaranteed, but if they do honor our preference I'm not sure which floor to pick. My first instinct is to pick top floor - I'm a crazy light sleeper and whenever I haven't been on the top floor of a hotel, footsteps above us at night always wake me up and I can never get back to sleep. But...I've also read that the top floor of Kidani is too high to see the animals and I don't want to rob the rest of my family of a better view just because of my sleep issues! So, I guess I'm looking to hear of people who have been on the top floor and thought the view was just fine, or from people who have been on lower levels and have not heard much from neighbors above (I'm thinking since Kidani is relatively new, it may have better soundproofing?)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Since the only variable that you can control is you, have you thought about ear plugs? You will get a good nights sleep and it won't matter where your room is.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post

That's good to hear! Have you ever stayed at Jambo? I swear the noise from the hallways is the worst there! I constantly hear people running and laughing up and down the hallways. I'm not complaining-one time I happened to be going out and saw that it was Grandpa and his grandson racing each other down the hallway. As a grandma, I'd certainly want to do that if my granddaughters wanted. However, I know DH is a light sleeper and that would drive him bonkers (one time at OKW, he even complained to me the next morning that the frogs were too loud!). If he and I ever go to AKV, we'll choose Kidani.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #14
WoodysHat
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz

Since the only variable that you can control is you, have you thought about ear plugs? You will get a good nights sleep and it won't matter where your room is.

Bill
Funny you mentioned that, I had just been looking up ear plug reviews! I found a brand called Hearos that is supposed to block up to 33 decibels...I'm going to give them a try!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Funny you mentioned that, I had just been looking up ear plug reviews! I found a brand called Hearos that is supposed to block up to 33 decibels...I'm going to give them a try!
Sounds like a good plan. Others may have had good luck with quiet neighbors but that doesn't mean that you will.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: