Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Disney shuttle service from WDW

Can someone tell me what time the shuttles usually leave from WDW to Port Canaveral?
We'll be at BLT if that makes a difference.
I'm trying to arrange a breakfast ADR that day. I love Kona Cafe and don't want to miss it!

Also are there any other viable options for transport if we don't have carseats with us for our little ones?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys View Post
Can someone tell me what time the shuttles usually leave from WDW to Port Canaveral?
We'll be at BLT if that makes a difference.
I'm trying to arrange a breakfast ADR that day. I love Kona Cafe and don't want to miss it!

Also are there any other viable options for transport if we don't have carseats with us for our little ones?
The DCL transport busses depart between 11:30-12:30. You'll get the information as to what time you will need to be at the pickup point in your room at the resort.

Depending on how many people are being picked up at a specific resort, the bus may make other stops (maximum of 3 per bus) before heading out to the port.

You'll leave your bags in your room by 8:00 am (usually) for the DCL baggage pickup.

The only kind of transportation you can take without carseats would be a bus.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The DCL transport busses depart between 11:30-12:30. You'll get the information as to what time you will need to be at the pickup point in your room at the resort.

Depending on how many people are being picked up at a specific resort, the bus may make other stops (maximum of 3 per bus) before heading out to the port.

You'll leave your bags in your room by 8:00 am (usually) for the DCL baggage pickup.

The only kind of transportation you can take without carseats would be a bus.
Thanks!

Are their any buses other than Disney buses that you know of? With 7 of us (although 1 infant, another under 3), everything adds up quickly. I prefer the convenience of not lugging 3 carseats onto the planes and cruiseship with us though.

So I guess we can plan a little later breakfast? Maybe 9am at Kona and we should have plenty of time to get back to the Contemporary for the bus.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I guess we can plan a little later breakfast? Maybe 9am at Kona and we should have plenty of time to get back to the Contemporary for the bus.
I know I wouldn't have felt comfortable doing that. With a few kids to wrangle and convince to eat and get cleaned up and get moving? I personally would leave Kona for a different day or different trip.

I *barely* felt comfortable going to POR's QS restaurant and walking on over to our meeting point there at POR. Let alone going to a totally different resort!

And don't forget time to get your carryons from Bell Services, unless you're carrying them over to the Poly for breakfast as well.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
... Are their any buses other than Disney buses that you know of? With 7 of us (although 1 infant, another under 3), everything adds up quickly. I prefer the convenience of not lugging 3 carseats onto the planes and cruiseship with us though. ...
DCL transfers will be your most convenient. With 5 kids, convenience may trump cost.

I'm not sure about private car service/limo with regards to the car seats. You could contact a couple to check if they'll provide. I think Tiffany Towncars and Happy Limo get good reviews here.

You could probably do a one-way mini-van rental, including renting car seats, for less than DCL transfers. With 7 passengers, you'll be short on luggage room though with kids you probably can shove the suitcases under their feet and fit it all in. Someone would need to go to the Car Care Center to pick it up and then drop off 1 adult and kids at the terminal before returning the rental at the port. In my mind that's a lot of kids and carry-ons for 1 adult to wrangle through security alone just to get inside to wait for the 2nd adult to join you.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
SweetSpot
DIS Veteran

The transfers from the ship to the airport are very convenient, especially with luggage, but I would never do transfers from the resorts. My DH and I have a home in Cocoa Beach and travel to and from the airport many times a year. I can't believe how late some of them are traveling. I understand late plane arrivals but there are many buses on the highway heading to the port.

I am one of the people who like to get on the ship as early as possible so I can start my vacation. Not being able to get on the road early enough would drive me crazy. We usually rent a car and drive ourselves but would think a limo would be worth it.
SweetSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

I think we'll likely go with the DCL shuttle. No one has mentioned any other shuttle options, right?
I'm not excited about getting there "late" either as I am usually one to be the first to board. However, given the convenience of not lugging carseats along on the whole trip, it may be our best option.

I thought of the rental car too, but I don't want to be waiting around a terminal for DH with 5 kids to wrangle. We did this last time (with 4 kids to wrangle) and it was no fun. It took a long time!

I'll check and see if the limos can provide carseats. That would be awesome, though not likely cheaper.

If we're going to be waiting around for the shuttle to pick us up at 11:30 or so, I think we'll be fine for breakfast at Kona. We are Disney pros and little kid pros. We manage to do rope drop every day even with our little crew. I don't want to do Kona a different day becasue I don't want to miss rope drops!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
kiford
Mouseketeer

You're better to be safe and have an early breakfast. Every single time we've been picked up at our resort at 11:30-12:00 so I assumed this last December would be the same. For some reason I just decided to do an 8:30 am breakfast at the Grand Floridian where we were staying. Turned out to be a good idea because they picked us up at 10:30 and we didn't find that out until about 8 pm the night before when we got the letter which would probably have been too late to change our ADR.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (49) Him (52)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford View Post
You're better to be safe and have an early breakfast. Every single time we've been picked up at our resort at 11:30-12:00 so I assumed this last December would be the same. For some reason I just decided to do an 8:30 am breakfast at the Grand Floridian where we were staying. Turned out to be a good idea because they picked us up at 10:30 and we didn't find that out until about 8 pm the night before when we got the letter which would probably have been too late to change our ADR.
Good to know! I guess we'll keep our 8:15 reservation! Thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
DVCisME
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys

Good to know! I guess we'll keep our 8:15 reservation! Thanks!
I have used Happy Limo not for the cruise but for other travels. You can rent something at what I think is a good price and they provide the car seats at a nominal fee.
DVCisME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCisME View Post
I have used Happy Limo not for the cruise but for other travels. You can rent something at what I think is a good price and they provide the car seats at a nominal fee.
Awesome! Thank you! We'll check into that. It appeals to me to arrive earlier!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Princess Bree
Earning My Ears

If we are taking WDW transport from the Polynesian Resort in WDW to the cruise port can we take our suitcases to the bus ourselves, or do we absolutely have to let them be picked up from our room earlier? We live in dreaded fear of our bags not making the cruise with us. It almost happened once and we are such worry-warts about it.
Princess Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Bree View Post
If we are taking WDW transport from the Polynesian Resort in WDW to the cruise port can we take our suitcases to the bus ourselves, or do we absolutely have to let them be picked up from our room earlier? We live in dreaded fear of our bags not making the cruise with us. It almost happened once and we are such worry-warts about it.
The luggage doesn't go on the bus with you with the in-room pickup. They go by truck (and actually get there earlier than you do). I would think you could take your bags yourself to the bus, but I'm fairly sure that your bags would then be in the big load of bags arriving at the port all at the same time (later).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
dr&momto2boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The luggage doesn't go on the bus with you with the in-room pickup. They go by truck (and actually get there earlier than you do). I would think you could take your bags yourself to the bus, but I'm fairly sure that your bags would then be in the big load of bags arriving at the port all at the same time (later).
So unless you can carry everything on yourself, at some point you will be separated from your bags.

(Does not apply in our case, since we could never carry all of our stuff on. We can barely carry all our kids on! )
Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
aan1701
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys

Awesome! Thank you! We'll check into that. It appeals to me to arrive earlier!
I know you want to get there early but keep this in mind, I also understand about costs. If you choose to go by private transportation to port and god forbid anything happens that will make you late to the ship, you just maybe watching her sail as you drive up. If anything happens to that DCL bus, they will wait for you. This is why we never use the cheeper private transport option. We like piece of mind and are willing to sacrifice 2 hours of ship time. Not worth the risk in our opinion.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using DISBoards
DCL 14 Night Westbound Panama To my House. 5/14/05-5/28/05, DCL 11 Night Southern 9/17/06-9/28/06, 7 Night DCL Western 10/20/07, DCL 15 Night Westbound Panama to my house. 5/10/08-5/25/08, 7 Night to St. Croix for my Birthday 2/28/09, 7 night to the Western 10/17/09, Back to back on the Wonder 10/14/10 and 10/17/10, 15 night Panama Canal to Bring the Wonder to my home and her new Home 1/6/2011. 10/8/2011 Eastern on the Magic. 4/29/12 15 nights to Hawaii and back from my home in Los Angeles, 5/6/13 14 nights from Miami back to my home in Los Angeles via the Panama Canal, Premier Pass holder, DVC Member since 2008.
aan1701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: