Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
thorphin
DIS Veteran
 
thorphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 537

A quick Google Images search for "Disney Magic Band" shows that the bands likely will have a 12 digit unique ID number on them. I would think that it would be likely that this number is the same number that the RFID readers receive from the band. So, if there's a tech malfunction, a CM *should* be able to input that number somewhere to some useful effect. Wouldn't be quick, though, especially if the coded number is on the INSIDE of the band.
__________________




'83, '84: Fort Wilderness...'84: Golf Resort
'88, '93: Disney Inn..........'95, '98: Off Property
'00: Dixie Landings...........'02: PO Riverside
'05: Beach Club Villas.......'09, '10 PO Riverside
09/2013: Poly!
thorphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #47
fflmaster
DIS Veteran
 
fflmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 791

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
I wish I could be optimistic, but given Disney's track record so far with new technology (website, app, etc.), I'm afraid your prognosis is correct. I'm reminded of my Dad's reaction to getting a new truck with power windows - he sighed heavily and said, "Just something else to break..."
Have to ask. Would you buy a car now WITHOUT power windows?

Sometimes we just have to wait and see what happens.
__________________



_____________________________________________
fflmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!
 
Jennasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: The Triad, NC
Posts: 24,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflmaster View Post
Have to ask. Would you buy a car now WITHOUT power windows?

Sometimes we just have to wait and see what happens.
DH prefers no power windows as he views them as something else to break.
__________________
Jennasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #49
amybaud
Earning My Ears
 
amybaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 56

I am going in mid May and am curious how much of it will be rolled out by then. If they would just TELL us something, I think many of fears would ease some. But doesn't look like that will be happening. With my vacation history, I am certain I will experience every glitch possible. But will try to have a wonderful time regardless.
__________________


Me DH DS7


7/96 - CBR, 8/97 - off-site, 9/10 - AKL, 5/13 - POR
amybaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #50
TeamJones22
Cashback!
 
TeamJones22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Wales
Posts: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
When fastpass first came out at Disneyland there were some attractions that had FastPass available. I believe it was POC and HM. What they quickly learned was FP was actually slowing down the lines and they removed it from those attractions.

Fast forward to today and now they are adding fastpass for every attraction. I saw the screens up and it appears there will need to be information added whenever anybody uses the FP+. I can see this adding to the lines.

For example, why the heck is Spaceship Earth getting FP+? There has to be a far sinister reason why every attraction is going to be tied into the system.
I dunno whether its 'sinister' or not, but i suppose there reason for having new fastpass on every ride is to better understand/anticipate guest behaviour. If they know that 100 people have booked to go on Spaceship Earth at 11am, they can play staff accordingly and save money. Eventually they will know what time POTC is busiest, which rides people dont go on and which rides they do so they can react accordingly. Its all about money and efficiency.

And, of course, knowing what you do and what you like helps them make a lot more money off you; targeting and tailoring their marketing to each individual guest. If they know you love Dole Whip's, they can market Dole Whip offers to you etc. Its called Customer Relationship Management, heavily done by any supermarket where you have a 'clubcard' or 'loyalty card'.
TeamJones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #51
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 77,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamJones22 View Post
I dunno whether its 'sinister' or not, but i suppose there reason for having new fastpass on every ride is to better understand/anticipate guest behaviour. If they know that 100 people have booked to go on Spaceship Earth at 11am, they can play staff accordingly and save money. Eventually they will know what time POTC is busiest, which rides people dont go on and which rides they do so they can react accordingly. Its all about money and efficiency.
That might work, if they didn't ALSO offer Standby (walk-on) lines to attractions.

Regardless, after decades of daily experience, Disney already knows what attractions draw guests at all day-parts.

More likely, Disney can utilize FP+ being added to the attractions that DON'T naturally draw
the most experienced guests, and lure less-experienced visitors to those less popular attractions
with the offer of "less waiting in line."


.

Last edited by Robo; 03-07-2013 at 05:22 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #52
jkjs
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
DH prefers no power windows as he views them as something else to break.
Same here. We also only look to buy cars with manual transmissions.
jkjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #53
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran
 
FigmentChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,920

I'm glad there is something thinking like me! I understand there is always "glitches" with new tech implimentations, but think about the ripple effects. If it takes five or ten minutes to run someones RFID card/magic band/whatever then it backs up the line for those behind. Food gets cold, tempers get hot, etc.

Personally, I'm happy with swiping my KTTW card. I understand we need to move forward with the future of technology, but let's not roll it out until ALL kinks are worked out.
__________________


Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #54
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!
 
Robo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: In the Magic Mirror, I'm closer than I appear.
Posts: 77,553

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
I understand we need to move forward with the future of technology, but let's not roll it out until ALL kinks are worked out.
The shocking part of this is that there should BE no kinks (or, at least, very few.)

Disney didn't invent the RFID technology nor are they the first to use it.

What is scary is that they continue to roll out poorly-executed "standard" technology.
It would be like buying a smart phone that said
"Disney" on the label and having it consistently not work as a phone, text center, or web browser,
when there are already countless other reliable devices in daily use.

In that vein, there ARE already so many successful retailers and corporations using RFID tech
(and have been doing so for years and years.)
Why the heck does a Disney roll-out of "non-cutting edge" tech fail so consistently
and predictably?

Is it done on-the-cheap?
Is it designed by inexperienced techies?
Is the hardware "lowest bidder" quality?

We see it over and over and over with Disney "guest-facing" computer technology.

What's the deal?

And, to me, THIS is why many of us are less-than-enthusiastic
over the prospect of "every damn thing" we do at the parks being
scheduled, stored and operated by "Disney computer technology."

That's some scary stuff, kids!

Last edited by Robo; 03-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #55
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran
 
ManyMinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybaud View Post
I am going in mid May and am curious how much of it will be rolled out by then. If they would just TELL us something, I think many of fears would ease some. But doesn't look like that will be happening. With my vacation history, I am certain I will experience every glitch possible. But will try to have a wonderful time regardless.
My theory is they aren't telling anything about roll-out dates, because they don't know. Disney is totally winging it.

With the colossal disaster the tests have been as far as equipment and customer satisfaction, I think they are going to hold off as long as possible before they roll it out to everyone. Or maybe we'll all get lucky and they'll scrap it altogether.

Though since they've spent a kabillion dollars on it, I unfortunately don't see that happening.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #56
bwang123
Posts: 1,457,177,981
 
bwang123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR864 View Post
Aside from the many valid concerns raised in earlier posts, I think the lack of a viable, readily available backup to the magicbands will prove to be the most distressing, and could prove to be their undoing. When a point of sale keypad goes down at Target, the cashier can always swipe your credit card themselves, or if that fails, just key in the card number. Neither of those backup steps is available once you put all your eggs in the magicband basket. And remember -- [insert Paul Frees here] -- there's no turning back now....
From all the pictures I have seen of the magicbands, they have band ID #s on them. So, i would assume they could punch in your magicband number similar to how they do credit cards. i know a lot of people on here think disney has no idea what they are doing because of the problems but with all this effort on the system but I find it hard to believe that they have no back-up plan if the system fails.
__________________
OCT '15 | MAY '15 AKL | OCT '13 VWL (MNSSHP) | MAY '13 BWV | DEC '12 SSR/AKV | MAR '12 ASM/ASSp/BLT | MAR '11 POFQ/CBR | MAY '08 CS | '95 DL Offsite | '93 & '94 DW Offiste

bwang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #57
aml3679
Kita's Mom
 
aml3679's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NH
Posts: 587

Question

I am not crazy about wearing something around my wrist, especially if it is hot outside, but --- if this is what they are doing, it doesn't look like anyone is going to have a choice.

That being said, I hope they roll it out and work out the kinks before our upcoming December trip.

At least a credit card like ticket would have your picture on it. If the bracelet gets left somewhere, anyone could pick it up and use it.

I am sure there will be more to come.
__________________
aml3679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #58
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679 View Post
At least a credit card like ticket would have your picture on it. If the bracelet gets left somewhere, anyone could pick it up and use it.
No pictures on your WDW cards.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #59
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran
 
ManyMinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwang123 View Post
From all the pictures I have seen of the magicbands, they have band ID #s on them. So, i would assume they could punch in your magicband number similar to how they do credit cards. i know a lot of people on here think disney has no idea what they are doing because of the problems but with all this effort on the system but I find it hard to believe that they have no back-up plan if the system fails.

From posts I've been reading here on the RFID KTTW cards, there doesn't seem to be a backup system. If the card doesn't work, the CM's don't seem to have an alternative for making it work.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #60
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 24,828

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml3679 View Post
I am not crazy about wearing something around my wrist, especially if it is hot outside, but --- if this is what they are doing, it doesn't look like anyone is going to have a choice.

That being said, I hope they roll it out and work out the kinks before our upcoming December trip.

At least a credit card like ticket would have your picture on it. If the bracelet gets left somewhere, anyone could pick it up and use it.

I am sure there will be more to come.
From what I've gathered so far, most guests will have a choice between the bands and a standard RFID card.
__________________
WDW: 45 visits (4 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 11 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.