Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

If they are anything like the bands places like Great Wolf Lodge use (room key, water park pass, charging ability to your room, etc), they suck. Our last trip we had to have one of ours replaced because it stopped working. We had to get every single person in our room together and reprogram/replace every single band at one time.

Hopefully the will get better, and glad you had a positive attitude when they were testing it out on you.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #17
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsneprincess View Post
You are not alone. We had a few issues with the RDIF cards not reading on the touchpad during our stay as well. It was pretty random as to when you had to swipe card vs tap card. Sometimes one worked & other didn't. Sometimes tap needed pin & sometimes it didn't. I would NOT want to be anywhere near WDW when this first goes live; it is not going to be pretty. However, I am not a fan of MagicBand, nor do I want to decide what I want to ride or eat 180 minutes in advance. JMO
This is my concern exactly. I think that eventually they will have MOST of the glitches worked out, but until that happens, I can see it very frustrating.
Luckily, it seems that that most they'll have ready to go by my trip time in April is the RFID equipped KTTW cards and not the wristbands (I can't imagine that they'll unleash the newest technology over Spring Break). I was planning on really taking advantage of room charge this time around, but maybe I won't.
We already bought our AFS tickets (which can't be added to KTTW) so park entrance won't be an issue.

It is possible that they won't actually start distributing wristbands until after they get most of the issues worked out.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
cbnsoul
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR864 View Post
Been lurking for a while, especially in the last couple months; however, this is my first post.

Just returned from a too-short trip to WDW. I have an Annual Pass, and stayed at Caribbean Beach with the dining plan added.

I was on my own for the first day (Friday), so I headed over early to Old Port Royale for breakfast around 7:15. The place was fairly deserted (though not for long) and only 2 registers were open.

This was my first use of the KTTW RFID card to make a point-of-sale transaction (specifically to use my first counter service meal). After the young lady rang me up, I tapped the Mickey pad --- didn't light up. She touched a couple keys and asked me to try again -- I did -- didn't light up.

By this time, I had a couple people behind me in line. Now, I'm holding my key well away from the touchpad and it lights up on its own. She tells me to enter my PIN, but it won't enter (the little keypad screen still said "Welcome" or something to that effect).

People in line behind me now shrug and sigh and move to the other line.

The cashier is embarassed at this point. I look at her screen and see that the system is now rebooting. She apologizes profusely, calls over two separate managers, and I go stand in the now ever-growing line for the other register. I wasn't irritated in the least -- stuff happens after all with point of sale registers even using debit/credit cards.

I was surprised to see how she was grilled by the managers -- "what keys did you touch?" "why is this screen showing?" -- I thought they were unnecessarily rough on her (especially since they were 3 feet away from the line to the other register).

Her system comes back up and she motions to me to come back. I laugh and say, "should I risk it?". She apologizes again, and I tell her not to sweat it. Still no response from the touchpad, so she takes my KTTW card and swipes it, and I'm on my way (after verifying that I in fact didn't accidentally use three counter service meals).

A minor inconvenience, but think about the implications here. In the amazing Tomorrowland magic-band future that Disney is envisioning, I would not have a KTTW card -- just a groovy wristband emblazoned with the requisite amount of flair.

So now replay this scenario -- when the Mickey keypad goes on the blink (or in this case, off the blink) -- how do I prove that I'm on the dining plan? And how do I complete the transaction without shelling out cash or a credit card since there's no magstrip to scan from my nonresponsive (but pretty!) band. And what does this do to the poor schlubs in line behind me while multiple managers attempt to fix the issue (and grill the cashier CM) before shuttling me off to a different register.

Now replay this scenario once FP+ comes into play and you're in line for Peter Pan. Imagine what that does to the wait (both FP and standby) when the Mickey posts stop responding!

Aside from the many valid concerns raised in earlier posts, I think the lack of a viable, readily available backup to the magicbands will prove to be the most distressing, and could prove to be their undoing. When a point of sale keypad goes down at Target, the cashier can always swipe your credit card themselves, or if that fails, just key in the card number. Neither of those backup steps is available once you put all your eggs in the magicband basket. And remember -- [insert Paul Frees here] -- there's no turning back now....

So, when the RFID readers go down (and they will -- that's natural), what does that do to the unlucky souls who dutifully made their FP+ reservations months in advance? And what does it do to the line while everything grinds to a halt while one CM after another tries the required next steps before contacting tech support?

I have seen the future -- and it looks surly!

Joe
This is a very well-written post. Hopefully the Disney people have contemplated this very scenario.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

My rough guess from our trip last week was about 2/3 successful tap-to-pay to 1/3 unsuccessful. Every successful tap did require us to input our pin, however. We also wondered what sort of back up there will be for Magic Bands vs key cards.

The reactions of CMs when the readers didn't work was very mixed. Some simply switched to swiping the cards, some hit some buttons on their touch screen and asked us to try again, and some acted as though *we* were doing something wrong.

Our friends KTTW wouldn't work at any of the entry turnstiles, but fortunately the hand held scanners were a quick fix to that. When they tried back at the hotel to get them fixed, they were told there was nothing wrong with them and it was implied that our friends simply didn't know how to use them correctly. We found that pretty funny since none of the turnstile greeters could get them to work, either.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Anybody tried the WDW website? I stalled it at least two times trying to add a celebration to a restaurant reservation. On the DVC site, when you try to add a celebration, it takes you to the regular WDW resort booking page - to book a resort reservation, nothing to do with DVC reservations. Which you absolutely do not need if you are DVC. They need to clean this whole thing up before they start expecting the entire thing to be run by the website and related apps.

I used the KTTW for touch to pay once and it worked fine...but I do not have big hands, and the touchpad to insert your PIN number is TINY. I pressed the wrong buttons twice.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Diznotyzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I used the KTTW for touch to pay once and it worked fine...but I do not have big hands, and the touchpad to insert your PIN number is TINY. I pressed the wrong buttons twice.
I have small hands and had to really be careful when inputing our pin. Major design mistake there.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR864
Aside from the many valid concerns raised in earlier posts, I think the lack of a viable, readily available backup to the magicbands will prove to be the most distressing, and could prove to be their undoing. When a point of sale keypad goes down at Target, the cashier can always swipe your credit card themselves, or if that fails, just key in the card number. Neither of those backup steps is available once you put all your eggs in the magicband basket. And remember -- [insert Paul Frees here] -- there's no turning back now....

So, when the RFID readers go down (and they will -- that's natural), what does that do to the unlucky souls who dutifully made their FP+ reservations months in advance?
Your entire post seems to be built on a misconception of how the system works. The only information on your card is a reference number to allow them to identify your profile. You fear that there is no backup if the RFID card or scanner dies when in fact, there is. The CMs can look up your profile to verify your information. A dead band or scanner doesn't change that, at all.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #23
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

I have read reports that using the RFID cards gets you into the parks faster than using non-RFID turnstyles, and I have been wondering if we should get our Undercover Tourist tickets added to our RFID resort room key cards, when we go next week.

But this report (and others) are convincing me that we are better off to just use our park tickets in their non-RFID state.

Thanks for the report!

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

This entire weekend was SO frustrating for us from a tech point of view. The ENTIRE MDE site and app was down fro almost the whole weekend. COuldn't make any ADR's on Saturday, even over the phone. The MDE app wasn't showing me ride times or FP times all day Sunday and part of Monday.

The new card readers at counter service spots never worked when I swiped my credit card. Always had to have the CM key it in themselves.

NEVER got the text from BWV telling me what our room number was. We had done online check-in and picked up our packet at the desk and were told they would text me the room number. NEVER HAPPENED. When we got back to the resort late that night I bee lined to the desk where they seemed confused but apologetic. They kept saying that I was supposed to get one. Whatever...

Get all the way to our room at nearly midnight and THE ROOM KEYS DO NOT WORK. Had to hoof it back to the desk and have them make us new keys.

I am a Disney apologist but I have NO confidence in this system at all. It will likely collapse under the weight of its own hubris...and I am very bummed out about that.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Diznotyzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
I have read reports that using the RFID cards gets you into the parks faster than using non-RFID turnstyles, and I have been wondering if we should get our Undercover Tourist tickets added to our RFID resort room key cards, when we go next week.

But this report (and others) are convincing me that we are better off to just use our park tickets in their non-RFID state.

Thanks for the report!
Last week we put our AAA tickets on our KTTW, and were glad we did. Even though our friends' cards wouldn't work at the readers, the hand held scanners were fast enough the we usually just waltzed right in through mostly empty lines.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

When fastpass first came out at Disneyland there were some attractions that had FastPass available. I believe it was POC and HM. What they quickly learned was FP was actually slowing down the lines and they removed it from those attractions.

Fast forward to today and now they are adding fastpass for every attraction. I saw the screens up and it appears there will need to be information added whenever anybody uses the FP+. I can see this adding to the lines.

For example, why the heck is Spaceship Earth getting FP+? There has to be a far sinister reason why every attraction is going to be tied into the system.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
JR864
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Your entire post seems to be built on a misconception of how the system works. The only information on your card is a reference number to allow them to identify your profile. You fear that there is no backup if the RFID card or scanner dies when in fact, there is. The CMs can look up your profile to verify your information. A dead band or scanner doesn't change that, at all.
No, I get that --- everything about me, including my dining plan allotments and (when applicable) ticket info is in the computer and can be looked up/verified/reactivated, etc.

My point is that with a keycard or credit card scenario, this is easily and quickly remedied (as the young lady did at the Caribbean) by either swiping the card or entering the number.

Maybe as some have suggested there's a barcode or some other identifying number that will be printed on the super-magical wristband that will allow the CM to react quickly to a reader failure. If so, that will certainly ease things. But if the resolution involves moving to a working terminal so that my info can be looked up and verified, then there's a definite impact on the queue time (most definitely in the FP+ scenario). The queues on many rides are very susceptible to even slight hiccups.

I did notice tablet-sized screens on many of the rides at the FP/FP+ verification point that seemed to show choices to "Add 1" or something akin to that), so maybe that's how the CM will be able to look up your info. I tried to get a quick phone pic, but it's blurry because I was shooed along by a stern-faced CM on Peter Pan (which is why I used that as the example).

What I found most notable though was how worked up the frontline managers got for such a minor snafu when no one in line was really inconvenienced and crowds were nonexistent. Everyone seems very tense about this whole thing. My friend and I engaged several cast members in conversation this past weekend (mainly because it was so freaking cold we looked for opportunities to tarry inside). The general consensus among those we spoke to seemed to be guarded and worried about guests being upset and taking out their frustrations on them.
JR864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
pbrim
Mouseketeer

I have worked a few places where they have RFID type tags for security entrances. I have never seen one that didnt have a code nuber printed or embossed on it somewhere and I imagine it's the same for the Magic Bracelets. I'm sure there will be a means to enter that code number to override the sensor in case of problems, just as a cashier can type in your credit card number if the magnetic strip doesn't work.

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
When fastpass first came out at Disneyland there were some attractions that had FastPass available. I believe it was POC and HM. What they quickly learned was FP was actually slowing down the lines and they removed it from those attractions.

Fast forward to today and now they are adding fastpass for every attraction. I saw the screens up and it appears there will need to be information added whenever anybody uses the FP+. I can see this adding to the lines.

For example, why the heck is Spaceship Earth getting FP+? There has to be a far sinister reason why every attraction is going to be tied into the system.
I assume it is to greatly increase the supply of FPs, even though many people excited to get them won't realize how useless some FPs may be. Kinda like offering free water with your favorite drink at a restaurant.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post

Thanks for the report!
We are keeping ours separate on our upcoming trip.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: