Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
KingdomHeartsFan
DIS Veteran

Luggage on disembarkation day

I am a first time cruiser planning my first cruise on DCL next year. This may be a silly question, but I can not find an answer to it anywhere.

I will be flying Southwest airlines, which does not participate in onboard check-in. So I will not be able to check my luggage the night before. So what exactly do I do with my luggage on disembarkation day? I know I have to be out of my cabin by a certain time. What do I do with my luggage while I eat breakfast before I get off the ship?

I am sorry if this is a silly question. I just don't quite understand the logistics of disembarkation day. Thanks for your help!

KingdomHeartsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingdomHeartsFan View Post
I am a first time cruiser planning my first cruise on DCL next year. This may be a silly question, but I can not find an answer to it anywhere.

I will be flying Southwest airlines, which does not participate in onboard check-in. So I will not be able to check my luggage the night before. So what exactly do I do with my luggage on disembarkation day? I know I have to be out of my cabin by a certain time. What do I do with my luggage while I eat breakfast before I get off the ship?

I am sorry if this is a silly question. I just don't quite understand the logistics of disembarkation day. Thanks for your help!
You can still put your bags outside your door the last night. They will be in the terminal the next morning. You will claim you bags in the terminal and take them through customs.

If you are using DCL transportation, you will hand your bags to the driver, and claim them again at the terminal to checkin at the airport.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

You will place your luggage except that you desire to carry off the ship, outside your door by 10pm the night before. The next morning after you depart the ship, your luggage will be in a designated location for you to locate. You will recieve luggage tags the night before with a character on the tag. At the luggage pick-up, there are character signs posted to make your retrieveal easier. Porters are available if you desire.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
pannm
Mouseketeer

It depends on where your port is and what time your flights are...We just got back from the Magic out of Galveston. If your flights are at 1:00 or earlier, they tell you that you must carry 100% of your luggage off of the ship with you the next morning (called express checkout). In that case, you can leave your bags in your room until 8:00 am the morning of departure, go up and eat an early breakfast, go back to your room, get your bags and get off the ship.

If your flight leaves later than that, you leave all of your luggage outside of your room before 10:00pm the night before (as previous poster said), then they come around and pick them up. You hold onto a 'carry on bag' for your last days worth of clothing and supplies and you bring that with you to your breakfast before you leave the ship. Everyone else also has their carry on's and there's plenty of little nooks and crannys to place it while you're eating. Plus, if you eat breakfast in your main location that last morning, you will be served- it's not buffet style- so you never loose sight of your carry ons.

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
KingdomHeartsFan
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for your replies! I understand now how it will work. I will be on the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

Even when we don't have a flight to catch, we prefer to have breakfast in the buffet on the last morning rather than the main dining room. We do make sure that we time it such that we are out of the cabin by 8 a.m. - and we let our cabin steward know the night before that's what we're doing so he won't expect us to be at the early seating for breakfast. We find that's easier for us getting up and ready as we can do it each at our own pace. And we don't have to take our carry-off bags with us to breakfast. Plus it gives us a chance to brush our teeth, etc. after breakfast without having to dig through bags in public areas.

As others have mentioned, you can fetch your own bags from the terminal if you put them out the night before. As a first time cruiser, you'll want to take extra care in what you DON'T put out Don't put out your PJs, toiletries, clothes for the next day, shoes, medicine, electronics or anything of value that you care about whether it gets broken, lost or stolen (not that things go missing but better to not take that chance). If you have small children, keep out an extra set of clothes or underwear at least so if there's an accident, you have a spare onhand. Don't put out your identification information or passport - you'll need that when you get off the ship and go through customs - you typically won't have access to your bags until after you've cleared customs at the port.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
KingdomHeartsFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom
Even when we don't have a flight to catch, we prefer to have breakfast in the buffet on the last morning rather than the main dining room. We do make sure that we time it such that we are out of the cabin by 8 a.m. - and we let our cabin steward know the night before that's what we're doing so he won't expect us to be at the early seating for breakfast. We find that's easier for us getting up and ready as we can do it each at our own pace. And we don't have to take our carry-off bags with us to breakfast. Plus it gives us a chance to brush our teeth, etc. after breakfast without having to dig through bags in public areas.

As others have mentioned, you can fetch your own bags from the terminal if you put them out the night before. As a first time cruiser, you'll want to take extra care in what you DON'T put out Don't put out your PJs, toiletries, clothes for the next day, shoes, medicine, electronics or anything of value that you care about whether it gets broken, lost or stolen (not that things go missing but better to not take that chance). If you have small children, keep out an extra set of clothes or underwear at least so if there's an accident, you have a spare onhand. Don't put out your identification information or passport - you'll need that when you get off the ship and go through customs - you typically won't have access to your bags until after you've cleared customs at the port.
Thank you so much for the advice. I can see how a newbie could easily make a mistake like accidentally packing something you will need the next morning. The buffet does sound like a pretty good option for breakfast to avoid the time crush on that day.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
mncooldad
Earning My Ears

Not a silly question at all. And great answers. Some more things I never thought of. Thanks for sharing.
mncooldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzdisneymom View Post
... you typically won't have access to your bags until after you've cleared customs at the port.
Just a minor correction - you WILL collect your luggage before going through Customs. However, it's in the terminal (think big warehouse-like space), and not really where you want to be opening and digging through luggage to find the passports or IDs and needed paperwork.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Just a minor correction - you WILL collect your luggage before going through Customs. However, it's in the terminal (think big warehouse-like space), and not really where you want to be opening and digging through luggage to find the passports or IDs and needed paperwork.

Enjoy your cruise!
Yes this and it includes your KTTW (room key). First time around I put then away and had to start looking for then to disembark. You have to swipe them one more time before you go down the escelators to your luggage and customs.
NAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: