Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

we have three cards total and maybe theres about 100 total.
We prefer using our Southwest cards for everything, so far we've had 8 round trips FREE for 3 of us and just short of another set of three ...till late march its all good! No interest and FREE flights, cant beat it!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
That's great. My big expense is the travel part - which includes tolls, parking lots, taxi rides,subways, commuter train tickets, in addition to the normal travel categories. Between that, and dining, which includes all types of restaurants including fast food, I rack up a lot of those double points each month.

But if you spend a lot in those categories, then the card works for you ^^

I still like the 20% off travel when I book using points via their website.

Since everyone spends differently, everyone needs to assess the rewards of the card their using to find the best one for them ^^
i dont have a premiere but i have a regular one. i figured it would not work out for me to pay the $49 fee but i wasn't aware transit was 2%. so i use a bus pass and metrocards monthly. do you mean i would get double rewards if i had the premiere with those?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #18
pooh2001
been there, done that, TRYING to go back

about 42 Disney reward points ($'s)
Old 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
i dont have a premiere but i have a regular one. i figured it would not work out for me to pay the $49 fee but i wasn't aware transit was 2%. so i use a bus pass and metrocards monthly. do you mean i would get double rewards if i had the premiere with those?
I think Mary2e was talking about her Chase Sapphire card (which has a $95 fee) that she mention in this thread. The Disney Premier card does not include 2% rewards for travel other than Disney related travel.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
jmsaj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
The Disney Rewards Dollars are worth $1 each, not a penny. But I do agree that there are better rewards programs out there.
I believe the poster came up with the value of .01 by dividing $100 by $1 meaning you have to spend $100 to get the $1 in rewards
jmsaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
ThisIsTheYear
Too far from Mickey!

$397 since 11/10 on the basic card. I need to start spending more.
11/2013 - POP Century
ThisIsTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
Jankam
Earning My Ears

I have the Premiere - can someone clarify if I use the card to pay WDW for vacation, do I still get the points? Thanks!
Jankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #23
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

I have the no-fee one, I have had it since they came out with them YEARS ago. My best guess is over the course of having the card - I likely have earned and used somewhere around $5,000 - $7,000.

For our upcoming August trip, I am hoping to 'make my own free dining' by having $800 saved on the card for the restaurants we want. So far I have close to $600.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #24
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
None. I have the card, but don't use it because the bonus offers are few and far between, and it's probably not one of the best out there for earning rewards.

Yes, we all love Disney rewards, but they are worth about 1 cent each. I prefer to use a card that I can earn double points on certain categories such as paying for air travel OR if you don't want to be bothered, just get a cashback card and put the reward in the vacation pile. The earnings are the same.

If you spend a lot on travel or dining out, right now the Chase Sapphire Preferred pays double points on those categories (worth 2 cents each) and will also get you 20% off travel you book with them using those points. This card costs $95 per year, and the Disney card is free, so it may not be worth it for you if you don't spend a lot each year.
this,exactly. I have none,their rewards points are WAY too low....there are too many other great reward cards out there to save money for a vacation.....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsaj View Post
I believe the poster came up with the value of .01 by dividing $100 by $1 meaning you have to spend $100 to get the $1 in rewards
yes....you have to spend 100.00 to get 1.00 that is not great payback.....so if you have 200.00 in rewards (that = one nice dinner in WDW) that means you have to spend a LOT to get those points
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #26
Mary2e
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagginit View Post
I'm talking about the Chase Saphhire Preferred credit card that offers double points on travel, which includes every means of transportation, including train tickets and cabs. This card costs $95 per year.

For my spending patterns, I prefer to get 2% on those categories rather than others - including groceries.

For me, the Disney card just doesn't make a whole lot of sense, particularly when I can use those same reward points on the Chase mall to pay for my hotel or airfare and get a 20% point discount on top of it. I spend about $2k a month on the dining and travel categories, meaning I get 4k points that are valued at 1 cent per point. I'm getting $40 value in rewards with this card rather than $20 value from the disney card.

BUT, like I said, everyone needs to look at their spending patterns and find the card that's best for them.
Mary2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #27
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankam View Post
I have the Premiere - can someone clarify if I use the card to pay WDW for vacation, do I still get the points? Thanks!
Pretty sure you get 2% back since it's a Disney purchase.

We had the regular card for a few years. After the premiere card came out I crunched some numbers and figured out that we'd get more reward dollars by switching to that one. A few months after that we got Chase Freedom cards - every 3 months they rotate certain rewards that are 5% back (right now it's gas stations, Starbucks and drug stores, for example) and there's no annual fee. Everything else is 1% back. Earlier this week I called Chase to downgrade back to the regular Disney Card...I think we'll use that for pretty much everything except for whatever the 5% Chase Freedom reward is.

This year we've gotten at $200 reward check from the Chase Freedom card and have about $150 in rewards for that card. We've been letting our Disney rewards accumulate since summer of 2011 and currently have about $700.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
Brer Shay
compulsive Disney planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
We actually do the Dave Ramsey plan w/ the envelopes. So what I do is, I have a Chase Visa envelope also. when I go food shopping and put it on the card, I then take the cash from my food shopping envelope and put it in the chase envelope and enter the amount on a piece of paper. Same w/ gas, movie money, out to eat, all the cash goes into the chase envelope. It's budgeted and accounted for, so I'm paying everything off a few times a month and we never run a balance. ( I know, we don't have to do that, but I feel ALOT better if I do)
It's great to read that someone else does this. Going back to the literal envelope systems brought us back out of debt. For our household, the cash system (even if it appears to others as credit card) is the way to go!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

We have the premier card. After using our reward dollars in June 2012, we have started accumulating them again. We have around $650 already for our April 2014 trip!
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brer Shay View Post
It's great to read that someone else does this. Going back to the literal envelope systems brought us back out of debt. For our household, the cash system (even if it appears to others as credit card) is the way to go!
For us too....I live by the envelopes! it's a great way to not overspend for us... if it's not in there, it doesn't get bought.(unless it's something unforseen or an emergency)

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: