Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
KingofSwing3000
Mouseketeer

Can't take that FL trip? Think again.

If you really wanted to go to WDW for "cheap" you can do it. Below is a 5-day trip budget for four adults going during slower season (though busier season isn't much higher).

Airfare: $250 x 4 (buy on a Wednesday)
Car: $25 x 5 (carrentals.com + coupon. We just did mid-size for $10 a day)
4/3 Villa: $60 day total x 5 (Flipkey/Homeaway. We got a 3/3 for $55)
Tickets: $250 x 4
Groceries: $200
Food: $200 (it all depends on what you want to save)
Gas: $40
Souvenirs: $100 (Is it necessary?)
Parking: $15 x 5
Misc: $200 (or much less)

So four ADULTS could go to Disney for 5 full days for about $3100. And I guarantee even less -- $2500 or so -- if you have a strict budget and stick to it, or go for four full days. And if you wanted to do SW/BG or Universal for a 3-4 day trip it would be about half this.

My family and I just did a full week in a 4/3 villa; airfare; rented a car; saw SW/BG/AQ/MK/Disc Cove/Uni/IOA/Treasure Tavern; got groceries; ate out every night; played several mini-golf games; had food in the Parks; and more for less than $100 per person per day.

Start saving today to go tomorrow.
KingofSwing3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
scanmom
DIS Veteran

sounds great...

IF you can get airfare for that price (We fly out of Tulsa, which rarely has deals on airfare, if we fly from OKC or Dallas we have to drive there and get a hotel room that will keeep our car there)

IF you can get a coupon/code for the car

IF you can be flexible with your dates so you can get a good deal on a villa/rental home

These are good tips, and I have done Disney on the cheap, but it's not realistic to think everyone can get these same deals.

can't wait to get back to the "real" world!
scanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofSwing3000
If you really wanted to go to WDW for "cheap" you can do it. Below is a 5-day trip budget for four adults going during slower season (though busier season isn't much higher).

So four ADULTS could go to Disney for 5 full days for about $3100. And I guarantee even less -- $2500 or so -- if you have a strict budget and stick to it, or go for four full days. And if you wanted to do SW/BG or Universal for a 3-4 day trip it would be about half this.

My family and I just did a full week in a 4/3 villa; airfare; rented a car; saw SW/BG/AQ/MK/Disc Cove/Uni/IOA/Treasure Tavern; got groceries; ate out every night; played several mini-golf games; had food in the Parks; and more for less than $100 per person per day.

During free dining in September, I priced out 5 nights in September at POP for a little over$1700.00 , tickets included . Thats for 3 adults and 1 child.
Airfare for us is a killer though. No deals to be found.

Plus 2 bigger problems: can't pull DS from school for a week. He'll be a freshman next year AND no extra money since we're going to DLR this summer and Hawaii next summer.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliepolieoliefan View Post
During free dining in September, I priced out 5 nights in September at POP for a little over$1700.00 , tickets included . Thats for 3 adults and 1 child.
Airfare for us is a killer though. No deals to be found.

Plus 2 bigger problems: can't pull DS from school for a week. He'll be a freshman next year AND no extra money since we're going to DLR this summer and Hawaii next summer.
I'd take this any day over WDW!!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
StuckInKS
DIS Veteran

$3,100 seems a little high to me for a 5-day offsite trip where you might get one CS meal per day with that $200 food budget (I would allot all of the souvie and misc money for food too, just to be safe). I just priced out a 10-day stay for 2 adults and 2 children in an All Star Movies room with free QSDP (it costs maybe $25-$30 per ticket for an adult upgrade) for $2,475. Add on your discount airfare and it becomes $3,475; just $375 more for double the days, staying onsite and plenty of park meals and snacks for everyone.
StuckInKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
drinkme
DIS Veteran

If you get a travel rewards cc then you can get the free miles for airfare.
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofSwing3000 View Post

I'm not sure Universal would be half of that. I was pricing with military tickets for Disney so take this with a grain of salt, but when I was looking Universal was much more expensive, especially if you price it out staying onsite at both locations. Your money goes further at WDW.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #8
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
I'm not sure Universal would be half of that. I was pricing with military tickets for Disney so take this with a grain of salt, but when I was looking Universal was much more expensive, especially if you price it out staying onsite at both locations. Your money goes further at WDW.
I have to agree. Universal is not cheap. If you stay off site and a cheapy hotel and just go there it can be not bad, but then you pay for parking as well. With Disney, I have done it for a lot less than quoted by the OP by staying onsite.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who looked at the OP and thought that it could be done cheaper.

Not only that, but $3,100 might as well be $31,000 for a lot of people. It's not like everyone has that much extra cash sitting around and quite a few people prefer to not put it all on a credit card.

I've done some pretty affordable trips by using leftover days on no-expiry tickets, FF miles for airfare, renting DVC points during the least expensive times and using my Disney Rewards Dollars for food. But I'm also aware that this doesn't work for everyone.

Regardless, if you've found a way to get to Disney that works for you, then more power to you!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
indimom
Are We There Yet?

It's different for everyone. $3,000 for a week is what I consider a pricey vacation, including Disney. That's what we spend when we're going all out.

The Disney portion of our trip this summer will cost me only gas and groceries. Our Disney rewards are covering the campsite and our park tickets.

After staying onsite at Universal in 2008, I wouldn't visit any other way, and those hotels can be expensive (but worth it). For this trip, our stay is covered by Blue Sky rewards. We did have to purchase the park tickets: $600 for the four of us. Given enough time I probably could have found a slightly better deal on those.

So total oop cost I anticipate for this trip is $900 (depends on how you count the groceries, we'd spend the same amount if we stayed home, so I didn't include it). That's an 8D/7N trip, seven park days, sleeping in a tent 5 nights, and staying at a nice hotel 2 nights, eating out of the cooler for 90% of the trip, and driving the 16 hours down and back without stopping.

Not trying to argue the OP's point, but maybe add to it.

If you look at all your options and work at it, you can usually find a way to make a Disney vacation (or Universal) fit your price point!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #11
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

I don't think this is so bad. The OP states it's for 4 adults, so presumably 2 couples. If you break that down per couple it would be $1500 for a 5 night vacation that includes park tickets and car rental.
That's pretty good.

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Disneychix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofSwing3000 View Post

I have 5 people going for 15 nights for 6000...

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I think Op is not too bad, but I'd fiddle with the details and pay about the same to stay onsite,go when I could get a FD deal , share a room no rental car,etc etc.
Saving anything is a good idea,so not too bad- my last trip maxed at 2400.00 for 4 peeps for 10 days(but I use my airline points really carefully to do that plus a couple of unused ticket days from our past included then to save some $$$)This past trip we stayed onsite at both Universal and Disney,that was great!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
mikehn
DIS Veteran

Food for 4 adults for 5 days is gonna be way higher than $200. $200 is just my bar tab.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehn View Post
Food for 4 adults for 5 days is gonna be way higher than $200. $200 is just my bar tab.
4 adults can anticipate about 15.00 pp per meal. So roughly 60.00 per counter service meal. You can get it down some of course but just one meal on site with a drink will send that meal total over budget.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: