Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Old Key West 1 Bedroom vs Boardwalk Inn Studio Water View?

Which would you rather stay at for two adults for five nights:

Old Key West in a 1 bedroom

or

Boardwalk Inn in a boardwalk view room

We have plans to visit to visit the parks, eat at different resorts etc. We are used to staying at a bonnet creek 1 bedroom
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Without a doubt, BW..... We prefer to be within some sort of conveyance for getting to a park... By boat, monorail or feet.....

At BW, I guess you know you can walk to 2 parks, HS and EPCOT.....convenient!

When we use to do BC, our daughter worked EPCOT during her CP, we used to pop into EPCOT for a beavertail, some beers and catch Illuminations most every night....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

A BWI room is plenty big for two people. I wouldn't trade the location and experience of BW for the added space of an OKW 1 bedroom.

Plus the linens at BWI will be nicer than OKW.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe of ohio
Without a doubt, BW..... We prefer to be within some sort of conveyance for getting to a park... By boat, monorail or feet.....

At BW, I guess you know you can walk to 2 parks, HS and EPCOT.....convenient!

When we use to do BC, our daughter worked EPCOT during her CP, we used to pop into EPCOT for a beavertail, some beers and catch Illuminations most every night....
Hard to beat the location of bwi
Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Tink2182014
Earning My Ears

i'd say boardwalk if you want to be closer to the parks
Tink2182014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
floridaminnie
WDW is my 2nd home and working on DCL being my 3rd!
Give me a foot massage andI'm yours!
Friends don't let floridaminnie grade papers drunk from too many margaritas!

With the studio you only have a kitchenette area and no washer and dryer. With a one bedroom you have a full kitchen with washer and dryer. Room size, a studio would be fine. Depends on what you want from the room also. Boardwalk is an awesome location. Travel time with buses from OKW can be pain at times.

7/27/02 7-Night Western Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2019; 3/23/03 4-Nigh Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 7503; 7/17/03 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 2605; 12/27/03 7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 2105; 07/08/04 3-Night Bahamian Cruise Stateroom 6094; 07/04/09 7-Nigh Eastern Caribbean Cruise Stateroom 5020
floridaminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Depends on how you vacation. If you go to parks from open to close, there's no need for a bigger room. If you spend time at the resort and in your room, more space might be nice. Also, the 1 bedroom will have a washer/dryer, full kitchen, and large jacuzzi tub. Do any of those appeal to you? Would you like the ability to eat meals in your room? You really can't go wrong either way, good luck deciding!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Old Key West 1 Bedroom vs Boardwalk Inn Studio Water View?

or

We have plans to visit to visit the parks, eat at different resorts etc. We are used to staying at a bonnet creek 1 bedroom
Boardwalk Inn does not have studios. Do you mean Boardwalk Villas?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB

Boardwalk Inn does not have studios. Do you mean Boardwalk Villas?
I meant boardwalk inn I should have said standard room instead of studio.

Does anyone prefer old key west just for the resort alone?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
kkmauch
"Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts!"

For us that is a hard choice! BWI with a BW view is incredible. I would love that!! And the proximity to epcot and hs is so appealing. But our family loves OKW and we stay there often. The rooms, especially a one bedroom, are so spacious and fresh. The bus is no problem for us, wehave always been happy. The boats are a fun option as well. We also prefer the "vacation condo" feel of the exterior entrances and open air corridors. The "hotel" feel of interior halls makes us feel like we are at just another hotel. The luxury of a laundry and full kitchen is always appealing for those late night frozen pizzas!!

Upcoming trips: October 2014 SSR
Recent trips: Aug 2013 CBR - Sep 2013 POR - Nov 2013 Pop - Mar 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - May 2012 SSR-THV - Nov 2011 OKW GV and Disney Dream - Sep 2011 AS-Sports - Dec 2010 SSR - Oct 2009 POFQ
displansforyou.com - facebook.com/displansforyou
kkmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post

or

No question about it,OKW is so much nicer and classier then BW. The design and layout, rooms are tops. The landscaping and pools are a wonderful combination of active and qiuet.

The bus service is the best at WDW and there is boat service to DTD.

If you want a box biulding resot,then you may like BW. If to want a qiuet, just a bit slower paced resort..then OKW is without question the place to be.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
No question about it,OKW is so much nicer and classier then BW. The design and layout, rooms are tops. The landscaping and pools are a wonderful combination of active and qiuet.

The bus service is the best at WDW and there is boat service to DTD.

If you want a box biulding resot,then you may like BW. If to want a qiuet, just a bit slower paced resort..then OKW is without question the place to be.

AKK
The problem with the busses at OKW is depending on where you get on, it seems to take forever just to get out of the resort. There are 5 total stops.

You can walk or boat from BW to either Epcot or DHS. Nothing beats leaving Epcot and be able to be back at your resort in 5 or 10 minutes.

I've stayed at both. OKW is great for a quiet laid back vacation. If you want to be "in the middle of the action", Boardwalk is the best.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

I love a one br villa. Having a full kitchen and separate living room area can't be beat for luxury. And then there is the extra large whirlpool tub, so nice on the weary legs after a long day. I haven't been to OKW, but I've done some research into it for consideration of the next family trip. The place looks awesome.

But unfortunately when it is just DH and I on a trip, we don't really need all that space. BWI is a great location. You mentioned that you plan to eat at some of the resorts. It is very easy to walk or take the boat to HS to catch a resort bus to your reservation. If you stay at OKW you would have to take a bus to a park and then a resort bus. Or you can drive or take a taxi. OKW means four buses to four parks. BWI means two buses, which is really nice.

But a one bedroom villa at OKW is a nice choice, too. Sitting on the huge veranda with a morning cup of coffee looks very appealing.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2
Does anyone prefer old key west just for the resort alone?
Yes. I'd live there if I could. It's really relaxing, well-landscaped, and the units are big! A one-bedroom villa is about the same size as my apartment, and I don't have the washer/dryer, the dishwasher, or the jacuzzi .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph
If you stay at OKW you would have to take a bus to a park and then a resort bus.
Or they could take the boat to Downtown Disney and transfer to the destination resort's bus there. Voila! Just me, but I'd rather head to dinner with a relaxing boat ride than a fifteen minute walk.

Also, if I remember correctly, the bus rides from OKW to Epcot or DHS are less than ten minutes each.

Last edited by kaytieeldr; 03-01-2013 at 08:10 AM. Reason: forgot to quote
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #15
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

While I do love OKW, especially the bigger units, I'd still pick the BWI Boardwalk view room. A balcony overlooking the Boardwalk is my favorite spot in all of WDW. I'm willing to give up my jacuzzi tub to have it.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boardwalk inn, old key west

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: