Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Chest infection advice whilst here

I started feeling ill on wednesday and hv lost voice. Now settled on chest and finding it hard to breath. We fly home on tuesday and dont want to end up nit being able to fly. Iv got the usual vic paracetamol drinking plenty but really need ABX.
We hv travel insurance but I have never had to claim before. Would we have to pay OOP and claim when home or will they just take our insurance details. We only have $600 left and no CC so obviously dont want to have no money.
Any advice would be helpful. I hv carried on despite feeling awful for DD sake but just have no energy today.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

I'm so sorry to hear that you're sick! When our DDs were younger they always managed to get sick when we were in the US, so we've had to claim several times. We've always paid OOP and claimed the money back when we got home, but we've never asked about doing it any other way. The best thing might be to contact your insurance provider and get some advice from them. I'm pretty sure that it cost around $150 including getting the prescription filled when we went but that was a few years ago. hopefully someone will be along soon with some more useful info. Take care. hope that you're soon feeling a lot better!

ETA just asked DH and he said that it was the contract from out insurance providers that we had to pay OOP, but your may be different.

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

I'd head to Walgreens or the chemist section of Walmart or similar and ask the pharmacist if there is anything you can get over the counter. The USA has very different limits to the UK as to potency of drugs so it's possible that there's something cheap and effective you can pick up that would only be available on prescription over here.

Fingers crossed and hope you feel better soon!
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
fairytale
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
I started feeling ill on wednesday and hv lost voice. Now settled on chest and finding it hard to breath. We fly home on tuesday and dont want to end up nit being able to fly. Iv got the usual vic paracetamol drinking plenty but really need ABX.
We hv travel insurance but I have never had to claim before. Would we have to pay OOP and claim when home or will they just take our insurance details. We only have $600 left and no CC so obviously dont want to have no money.
Any advice would be helpful. I hv carried on despite feeling awful for DD sake but just have no energy today.
I think it depends on the Travel Insurance.

Ours comes with our HSBC bank accounts and whenever we have claimed we have never had to lay out any money. They just deal with it all direct.

Hope your feeling better soon, nothing worse than been poorly when your away from home

Annette x
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Sorry you ill Alyson

Get in touch with your insurance and they should tell you who to call.

Hope you feel better soon!

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
irisheyes123
DIS Veteran

Hope you feel well soon Walgreens can be great so I would try them first if you need to see a doctor we used these in January for one of our twins cost $99 to see the doctor. We went to the one on highway 27 four corners but they have one on turkey lake road (don't know how far that is from you). Hope you feel well soon.
http://paramounturgentcare.com/

irisheyes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran

Sorry you are feeling ill, get better soon.

In 9 trips we have had to call doctor once for my son who had ear infection. In hindsight I should have called them much earlier and won't hesitate to in future, hopefully will never have to.

The insurance sorted everything out and contacted the medical centre. The doctor came to us at SSR. We did have to pay for medication but that was only because he didn't have the ear drops in stock but he did have antibiotics which he gave us there an then and we didn;t have to pay for. He arranged for the local walgreens to deliver the ear drops ($70 for a little bottle, no wonder the healthcare in US is so expensive) This was put on our bill at SSR. I never did get round to claiming it back when I got home. My son had had an ear infection 3 months before and I was worried that if I claimed back the extra I would have to tell them and then end up paying back the insurance for the doctors visit. I was surprised that the insurance company never asked me to complete a claims form.

Last year I had had an ear infection a month before I went so I made sure I declared it. Had to pay £20 for whole year and of course never had an issue while I was there!

Also, I agree with going to the pharmasist. They are great. I think alot of people in US bypass the doctor and go straight to them. They have so many drugs you can buy over the ocunter that you can only get on prescription here so definitely worth checking.
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
A few years ago, I got very sick with sinusitis while in FL. We had to pay up front and get reimbursed on return and it was REALLY expensive. Just the antibiotics were $150 and then there was the Dr fee etc. It will depend on your insurance, so my advice would be call the number on your insurance and find out the procedure. They may be able to work with the Dr directly.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Thankyou for all ur advice. I have slept all day today . I dont think OTT medicine will work. Im very wheezy and coughing up phlegm.I know if it was one of my patients I would recommend ABX. Im going to see how this evening goes then call the Dr as I do not want to end up with a LRTI or pleurisy if its been left untreated. Just hope my insurance has a 24 hr number. Will check. Thanku so much again.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

I was exceptionally ill in Florida on honeymoon. Had a doctor out to the hotel and prescription meds. Has to pay but got it all back very quickly on the insurance. I hope you feel better soon. If you haven't got your insurance policy with you it will be on line to download so you could check it hopefully.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add that if it gets real bad Disney will call a taxi so you can go to the ER and they py the trip their and back if you can't pay t the ER upfront then they take your insurance details and will clim it back from them directly,
We had to do this twice now.

Once when 1 of the twins cut his finger open the other when I ended up with kidney stones and had to go in for pain meds and anti sickness IV ( the day before we had to fly home)

Also have had my meds ( opiates) stolen from my case and had to go to the ER no charge for seeing the doc went on insurance as most hospitals work through the insurance instead of getting it from you!
Thankgod as my kidney stone trip to the ER cost over £4000!!!!

Hope your feeling better for your flight home nothing worse then flying sick,

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #12
cmbpanda
Mouseketeer

Hoping you are feeling better & have a good journey home.
cmbpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
OhanaSam
Mouseketeer

A few years ago I had a horrible cough that got so bad that one night I could hardly breath so my doc told me to use an inhaler and it went away withing about 2 days. It's not the same thing but maybe you could go to first aid and see if they have an inhaler that might help a bit

Me(23) DBF(23)
OhanaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
clareyfairymouse
Mouseketeer

If it helps, there's a Centra Care walk in centre in Lake Buena Vista we used to go to as cast members.
Here's the address: Address: 12500 S Apopka Vineland Rd, Orlando, FL 32836, United States
Hope you're feeling better soon!

2004 - IP UK Pavilion, 2008 - 1st WDW Holiday - Pop Century, 2010 - WDW Wedding - Wedding Pavilion & Stayed at Wilderness Lodge 2013 - Florida Keys & Port Orleans Riverside
clareyfairymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: