Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #31
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 5 - Innsbruck from Both Sides

Innsbruck

We had agreed not to have too much of a sleep-in this morning, so we could make the most of our only full day in Innsbruck. We woke to another glorious sunny day, and were all ready to go by about 9am. First we had to investigate the breakfast situation.

The guy at check-in had told us that although there was no restaurant in the hotel, they did have a relationship with the café next door with direct access and high recommendations. We decided to give them a go since it meant not having to rug up in all our wintery layers just to get breakfast. Turns out that it was great! We all had the scrambled eggs with ham, and they were just divine! We all agreed that they were the best scrambled eggs we’d ever had. Unfortunately I had left my camera back in the room. After brekky we raced back upstairs to grab our things, and left for our day’s adventuring.

First stop was the Bergisiel Ski Jump. We could have taken a tram from pretty much directly outside our hotel, but since it was such a nice day, we decided to take the 20 minute walk. We all enjoyed the scenery along the walk.

We did get a little lost when we got off the main road, but soon we were able to see the ski jump, so we figured we’d just keep heading towards it.

As we got closer to the ski jump we had to climb a bit of a hill, which was quite hard work in all our layers, and we all needed to take a layer off when we got to the top! I ended up in just my thermal top and heavy coat with a beanie. Going up the hill we got some pretty nice views.

Soon we were at the base of the ski jump.

We paid for our entry and decided to visit the Olympic Monument before going up to the top. It had awesome views over Innsbruck to the mountains on the other side.

After spending a good time admiring the views, we headed towards the cable car to the top.

When we got off we had to take the lift to viewing platform at the top of the building. Before we did that, I took in the views from that level and Dad made a ‘dad’ joke about only jumpers being allowed in one of the lifts…

The view from the top was incredibly stunning, and we were so lucky to have such a perfect clear day for it.

After spending a fair time at the top admiring the view (all on our own I might say), we decided it was time for coffee and cake. The café was on the second level of the building, underneath the viewing deck. There was only one other group when we entered the cafe, so we had our choice of window seats. The cakes and coffees (and hot chocolate) were very nice, but the view was the star.

We decided to visit the top of the actual jump on the way out, as I was pretty interested to see what the view must be like for those crazy enough to be about to launch themselves onto it on skis… Just as I suspected… complete insanity lol!

After we headed back down in the lift, we stopped for some photos among the tops of the pine trees.

Then headed back down in the cable car, and said our goodbyes to the ski jump. We all agreed that it had been both fascinating and stunning, and a very worthwhile addition to the itinerary.

Continued in next post...

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #32
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Continued...

Next on the agenda was a trip up Nordkette (one of the mountains we could see from the ski jump). At about 2.5km high, this was to be the tallest mountain on our itinerary. First we had to make our way back to the other side of town. The cable train departed from Congress station, which was about a 10 minute walk from our hotel. We decided not to bother with the tram.

And instead enjoyed another leisurely stroll through town enjoying the scenery.

One of the nice things about Innsbruck was that everything was so close. We pretty much saw all the usual tourist attractions without even trying, because we just walked past them on our way from one place to another. On our way from one side of the valley to the other, we just happened to pass under the Triumphal Arch.

There were sculptures scattered throughout the town.

Then we came across the Golden Roof making our way back through the Old Town.

I had stopped on the way to get some sunglasses (I had meant to take mine, but they somehow got left at home!), and back at the ski jump Dad’s camera had told him it needed new batteries, so we stopped at a supermarket.

We soon found Congress station and bought our tickets to go up the mountain. We ended up getting the ones that included a stop at AlpenZoo. Unfortunately we’d just missed a train, but the next one was only 15 minutes away, so we found a bench and made ourselves comfy.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #33
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Continued...

When the train did arrive, it was not what I was expecting at all! It had about 5 short, square carriages, which just had one bench seat in them and a few handgrips hanging from the ceiling. Most of the people getting on were fully outfitted for skiing or snowboarding, and we felt like we must look really silly going all the way up the mountain just to have a look lol!

The train started off underground, then crossed the river, then went underground again.

Then it started getting steep, and by the time we came out from underground again, the carriages were all on different levels! It was quite cool to see.

We had to get off a third of the way up, and get into an aerial cable car. There were lots of cars parked around too, I suppose skiers who skipped the train part. We took in the views as we transferred to the cable car station.

I was surprised to see that it was just one big cable car with standing room only, and we all had to squish on together. Again, it was mainly skiers and snowboarders, and it was quite squishy! I didnt get any photos from this part of the trip up. Before long we were coming into the next station, and had to transfer again to another big cable car. This one wasnt nearly as squishy because a lot of the skiers and snowboarders got off.

When we got off the cable car, we headed straight for the viewing area. I will always feel very grateful that it such clear weather for us that day, and we got to see such amazing views.

We were surprised to see some crazy people on skis and snowboards just taking off from there, where there was no marked ski run or anything. We even saw someone heading off around the side of the mountain! They sure are crazy over there!

We gingerly made our way to the top in the snow and ice, and over to the other side, where I had heard that there were more amazing views. We werent disappointed.

We walked through virgin snow where we sunk to our calves, then gingerly made our way back down to the station. I was the biggest wuss ever, completely terrified of losing my footing and sliding all the way down the mountain, and refused to let go of the handrail lol! Back on a relatively safe, flat bit of land, we stood and watched the crazy people skiing down the mountain.

We thought it was time for a bit more sustenance, so we made our way to the eatery. It was very small, cozy, and full of smokers! It didnt really have anything on the menu we liked the sound of anyway, so we decided to give it a miss. We caught the cable car back down to the second station, and found a cafeteria style eatery there that was much more our style, and smoke-free! Mum and I both had goulash soup, which was yummy but very salty.

There were heaps of people seated at the tables outside, and on some deck chairs scattered around the viewing area, and we wondered what on earth would convince people to sit out in the cold like that! A few more days into our trip, we would find out lol!

We had a bit of an explore while we were there, and watched the toddler skiers for a bit.

Then it was time to continue our return journey, or we wouldnt have time to get to the zoo. The cable car was nice and empty on the way back down, so I got some photos of this part of the trip.

Then we transferred to the cable train, and got off at the AlpenZoo station. We didnt realise it was such a long way down to ground level from the station, and took the stairs. By the time we got down we were all getting a bit dizzy lol!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #34
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Continued...

We made our way over to the zoo about an hour before closing. We skipped a few birds, but managed to spend a bit of time at the animals we were interested in, and just made it around in time.

The animals had some nice views!

These guys amazed us with their agility.

We were very lucky to catch the bear. He was just going to bed when we arrived.

They had nice little statues of their animals everywhere too.

By the time we were done, the sun was setting.

We made our way back to the station to wait for the next cable train (we took the lift this time lol!) and headed back into town.

We thought it would be easiest to just head to the same restaurant again tonight – it was too hard to find a nice non-smoking one. I thought I’d better have the wiener schnitzel while I was in Austria, which was yummy! Then it was back to the room to pack and get organised for the next day.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #35
mumoftriplets
Earning My Ears

Loving your TR. Austria is one of my favourite countries. Would go back there in a heart beat. Your pictures are magicial. Looking forward to reading more

mumoftriplets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #36
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

What a fantastic view from the top of the mountain. I was envious.....I would love to ski down from there!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #37
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Absolutely love love loving the Trip Report. So many beautiful photos and so many beautiful things you are seeing. Keep em coming, it's awesome.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #38
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Your pics from the top are gorgeous. Such a wonderful clear day for you. Looking forward to more!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
Christieand
Mouseketeer

Wow! Those views are amazing! The zoo looks good too!
Sequoia Lodge, April 2013 (TR here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099510)

Christieand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumoftriplets View Post
Loving your TR. Austria is one of my favourite countries. Would go back there in a heart beat. Your pictures are magicial. Looking forward to reading more
Turns out that it's one of my favourite countries too Definitely have to spend more time there next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
What a fantastic view from the top of the mountain. I was envious.....I would love to ski down from there!
PIO, I didn't know you were a crazy skier! I *may* have been convinced to try out the section where the toddlers were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Absolutely love love loving the Trip Report. So many beautiful photos and so many beautiful things you are seeing. Keep em coming, it's awesome.
Yes we did get to see many awesome sights! I may have gone slightly nuts with photos, but it was hard not to with that sort of scenery around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Your pics from the top are gorgeous. Such a wonderful clear day for you. Looking forward to more!
I will always feel very lucky that we had such nice weather for those first few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christieand View Post
Wow! Those views are amazing! The zoo looks good too!
The zoo was small and the habitats were basic, but it was interesting seeing such different animals. There were a few newer areas where the habitats and viewing areas were a bit more sophisticated, so I suppose they'll gradually upgrade the whole place. The photos I've put up were basically all the animals that were there. There was a small farm animals type area, and a few more birds that would have also been interesting if we'd had more time. We probably could have filled in another hour.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #41
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 6 - Back on Tracks

Innsbruck  Lucerne

We were up early again today (to another beautiful morning) to give us plenty of time to get ready, have breakfast, and make our way to the train station in plenty of time. I had also decided that I needed to eat an apple strudel while I was in Austria. I had seen a strudel shop advertised in the tourist magazine in our room, so we thought we might stop by on the way and pick one up.

We all enjoyed a breakfast of scrambled eggs and ham from the café adjoining the hotel again, and spent plenty of time looking at the view out the window. Then it was time to check out and get going.

We took a different route back to the train station, which would take us past the strudel shop. It meant we would take one last walk through Old Town.

There was a little gift shop right next to the strudel shop, and I couldnt help being amused by one of the souvenirs in there.

Then we picked up our strudels. There were heaps of different flavours to choose from, but since they were all in German and we couldn't really be sure what they were, we just went with plain old apple.

We got a little lost on the way, but managed to find our way to the station eventually and found our way to the platform. We noticed there was a great view of the ski jump from there!

We still had a while until the train would arrive, so Mum and I went exploring. There wasnt much in the train station to keep us occupied, so we went across the road where there was a sports shop. We had a bit of a look around, then decided we may as well head back to the platform and wait with Dad. It wasnt long before the train pulled up. We were actually standing at the wrong end of the platform for the first class carriages, so it was a bit of a rush to get on the train! But we got on ok in the end and found our seats. I decided to sit on the other side of the aisle this time to get the view on the other side of the train.

We made our way back to the ski resort country wed come through on the way.

Dad and I ate our strudels for morning tea. It was yummy, but I could only eat half of mine.

Then the snow started to thin out again and before we knew it we were coming into Zurich again. I didn't know at the time, but this would be the last time I saw blue sky in Europe lol!

We had a while in Zurich, so we had a coffee break before boarding our next train to Lucerne. When we eventually did try to find the train, we realised that we had open tickets and could have caught the earlier one, but the train we had was very nice and we enjoyed the journey.

It was only a short train ride, and before we knew it we were pulling into Lucerne.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Last edited by zanzibar138; 03-08-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #42
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 6 - Back on Tracks

Continued...

As soon as we exited the train station, we saw the hotel just across the road, so we went to check in and got settled into our room. I’d read mixed reviews about this hotel, but we found it quite nice. It was an old building, but the rooms decent and the location couldn’t be beat. And we even had a nice view over the lake!

Once we were settled in we went for a walk. We crossed the lake and wandered through Old Town, looking for something for afternoon tea. We struggled to find anything suitable, but ended up finding a cafeteria type place where we had some cake and coffee. On the way back we crossed the Chapel Bridge.

There was a little souvenir shop on the bridge we had a quick look at. Dad was pretty keen on buying a white Swiss army knife, and he very nearly bought one there, but for some reason his credit card wouldn't go through, so he just left it.

We had a bit of a break at the hotel, and soon realised that there was a problem with our power adapters. It’s a bit hard to explain, but basically none of our ‘earthed’ connections worked, we could only plug stuff in that had 2 prongs, not 3 (which meant we couldn’t charge our laptops!). Turns out that the reception desk had different adapter things which allowed it to work – we ended up buying one of our own for use in Switzerland. We watched the city light up from our room, then headed out for dinner.

We wandered around Old Town for a while trying to find somewhere suitable, and soon realised how expensive Switzerland was going to be! We ended up finding a little Italian place near the lake, where Mum and I had spaghetti Bolognese. On the way back to the room Mum and I picked up some hot drinks from the Starbucks at the hotel.

The forecast said that it was going to start snowing that night, so I sat on my bed looking out the window for a while in case it started lol! Unfortunately it didn’t. But there was plenty of that to come!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post

: Funny.....I thought we WERE Austria and there are plenty of kangaroos here!

Lovely pictures of Innsbruck Old Town and Lucerne. Can't wait to see more of Lucerne.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #44
HappyPanda
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come shining through.

More great updates you are really spoiling us! Austria looks so beautiful... But that ski jump!!!! Looks terrifying!
February 1996 - Hotel Cheyenne ~~~ June 2001 - Newport Bay ~~~ December 2001 - Sequoia Lodge ~~~March 2002 - Newport Bay ~~~ February 2002 - New York~~~ February 2011 - Santa Fe ~~~ March 2012 - Cheyenne ~~~ June 2012 - Sequoia Lodge ~~~ March 2013 - Disneyland Hotel
HappyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #45
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Wow! The scenery is simply breathtaking and I can imagine it was just wonderful to see it all picture perfect!

DD loved your pics of the wolf at the zoo! And that ski jump............I got dizzy just looking at the pictures!

I love travelling on trains and the view has been nothing but spectacular!

I really am thoroughly enjoyong your report and I can't wait for more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: