Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #16
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

I'm along for the journey and can't wait to see and read more.

I would have been disappointed in the Disney store too! Hope your feet recovered ok!?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #17
Christieand
Mouseketeer

Great TR so far
Sequoia Lodge, April 2013 (TR here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099510)

Christieand is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 AM   #18
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
It's great fun to watch
Oh you're terrible Carrie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
I would have been disappointed in the Disney store too! Hope your feet recovered ok!?
I did have to be careful with blisters for most of the trip, but I managed ok with my stash of bandaids

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - The Hills are Alive

Paris  Innsbruck

Our train was leaving just after 8am this morning, so we were up at 6am to give us plenty of time for showers, packing, breakfast etc. I had chosen a hotel close to Gare de Lyon station so that it would be a nice easy walk for us. Wed just stopped for photos at the entrance to the train station when Dad realised hed forgotten to give the room key back! So he quickly ran back across to the hotel while we minded the luggage.

Once Dad got back, we carried on into the train station and looked out for instructions on what platform we needed etc. Turns out we were so early that the platform information wasnt even up yet!

Since wed already had breakfast, we just sat in the waiting area until the platform was announced. I took a photo of a train like ours while we were waiting.

Finally we saw the platform number and started making our way across. We saw that the train was already there, so got on and found our seats. It was great! We had first class seats on the top level, in a group of 4. Very comfortable.

Coming out of Paris, it was very foggy and we couldnt really see much. Didnt take long until we could see some French countryside emerging. This was between Paris and Dijon Ville, where we were doing upwards of 300km per hour.

We were served breakfast along the way, a croissant, yoghurt, juice and bread roll. It was more like morning tea for us since wed had breakfast early.

Before long we saw some signs of snow.

Then we were pulling into Dijon Ville.

Between Dijon Ville and Mulhouse Ville we came across a lot more snow. Mum and I were so excited to see it and had great fun looking out the window. Dad had just spent a week in Finland so snow was a bit less of a novelty for him!

The stretch between Mulhouse Ville and Basel was quite short and I didnt get any decent photos. We found it amusing that they just suddenly switched from doing the French spiel first to then doing the German spiel first when we reached a certain spot. It was then another short ride to Zurich, with more snowy scenery to look at along the way.

Continued in next post...

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR

Last edited by zanzibar138; 03-07-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 4 - The Hills are Alive

Continued...

It was a short transfer at Zurich to our next train, but it was just a short walk between platforms so we made it with plenty of time. This next train wasn’t quite as luxurious, and stopped a lot more stations. Mum and I sat in a row of 2, and Dad was across the aisle from us on his own. We were impressed when they gave us all Kit-Kats when we were leaving Zurich. However, later when we tried to buy some lunch, they advised us that they only had 3 out of about a dozen items on the menu in stock!

When we left Zurich, we were in a tunnel for a fair while. We emerged next to a lake.

Soon we were approaching some serious mountains and more snow.

At Buchs station we were surprised to find that the train started going backwards! Mum wasn’t very impressed because she doesn’t like going backwards lol!

After that we started to get into some real alps and real snow. This was ski resort territory!

Then the snow started thinning out again – didn’t make the scenery any less stunning though!

Although it had been a wonderful journey through some amazing scenery, after 8 hours on trains we were all pretty glad to see Innsbruck station. I had pre-printed a map of the walk to our hotel, which was about a 10 minute walk taking in the beautiful scenery around the town.

We were all impressed with our hotel. The guy at check-in was really friendly and helpful, the room was huge and modern, and there was even great pressure in the shower! PLUS we had amazing views! We really couldn’t have asked for anything more.

After settling in, we thought we’d find somewhere for dinner. It was still on the early side, but Dad didn’t want to be out all night. We asked the guy at reception if he knew of anywhere good, but unfortunately because it was Sunday night, all his favourite places were closed. He suggested we take a walk into Old Town (which was about a 2 minute walk from the hotel) which would have lots to choose from. On the way we took in the view across the river.

Before making our way into the Old Town.

We discovered that they unfortunately still allow smoking in restaurants in Innsbruck. That meant that our options were quite limited. We wandered for quite a while looking into restaurants trying to see if there were people smoking or ashtrays provided lol! Finally we found one which was non-smoking and had a drink at the bar while we waited for the kitchen to open. We ended up all ordering the same thing for dinner, fish with a parsley mashed potato and carrots. I forgot to take photos.

After dinner we went back to our hotel, did some washing and tried out the free wi-fi.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great pictures. I love your train trip sitting in the comfort of my home; although it must have been tiring towards the end.

Looking forward to more.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #22
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Enjoying the trip and all your lovely pics and bringing back very old memories. The plane trip reminded me of how much I am not looking forward to that bit though-but one has to suffer these things for the goodies at the end. You had a perfect day to explore Paris and covered an awful lot! Would have been nice also knowing that you would be back in a couple of weeks. Trains may get tiring/boring but at least you avoid dodgy private pick-ups from airports! I would have been getting very cross with them after a long flight!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #23
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great pictures. I love your train trip sitting in the comfort of my home; although it must have been tiring towards the end.

Looking forward to more.
Yep, we were pretty pleased to get off the train in the end! Luckily that was our longest train journey, and it was a lot more comfortable than an 8 hour flight too lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Enjoying the trip and all your lovely pics and bringing back very old memories. The plane trip reminded me of how much I am not looking forward to that bit though-but one has to suffer these things for the goodies at the end. You had a perfect day to explore Paris and covered an awful lot! Would have been nice also knowing that you would be back in a couple of weeks. Trains may get tiring/boring but at least you avoid dodgy private pick-ups from airports! I would have been getting very cross with them after a long flight!
That's the trouble with living in Australia - it's such a long trip to get anywhere! But it's always well worth it Having said that, getting around Europe on a train was much easier and more comfortable

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
Christieand
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you were very organised with your map printing etc! Must have made your trip a lot easier
Sequoia Lodge, April 2013 (TR here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099510)

Christieand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying reading along. It's brining back some great memories of Austria - one of my favourite countries in Europe.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Isila
There is a big beautiful tomorrow

wonderful TR. I'd like to do this kind of traveling some day. And do a bit more of Paris than just DLP. Waiting for more update
Isila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
HappyPanda
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come shining through.

Really enjoying your trip report so far ! Can't wait for more xx
February 1996 - Hotel Cheyenne ~~~ June 2001 - Newport Bay ~~~ December 2001 - Sequoia Lodge ~~~March 2002 - Newport Bay ~~~ February 2002 - New York~~~ February 2011 - Santa Fe ~~~ March 2012 - Cheyenne ~~~ June 2012 - Sequoia Lodge ~~~ March 2013 - Disneyland Hotel
HappyPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #28
netimka
DIS Veteran

great TR looking forward to reading more... you did write a lot already... when did you come back home? On Monday?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #29
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Great start to your report!!

I am loving seeing your Paris photos, and reliving our trip through your photos as well

Can't wait to read more!!

2014 - Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - Trip Report - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe
maryr1oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #30
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christieand View Post
Sounds like you were very organised with your map printing etc! Must have made your trip a lot easier
It sure did! Although most of the hotels were so close to the train stations we could just see where they were

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
I'm really enjoying reading along. It's brining back some great memories of Austria - one of my favourite countries in Europe.
I've always loved the look of Austria - it was awesome to get to go there, and next time I'll definitely spend more time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isila View Post
wonderful TR. I'd like to do this kind of traveling some day. And do a bit more of Paris than just DLP. Waiting for more update
Thanks Isila, glad you're enjoying it! We really didn't do that much in Paris to be honest But we all enjoyed just wandering around taking it all in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyPanda View Post
Really enjoying your trip report so far ! Can't wait for more xx
Glad you're enjoying it HappyPanda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netimka View Post
great TR looking forward to reading more... you did write a lot already... when did you come back home? On Monday?
I actually only got back Wednesday morning! I'm making the most of being on my own (DH is still overseas) and not working to plough through some TR before life gets too busy again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryr1oz View Post
Great start to your report!!

I am loving seeing your Paris photos, and reliving our trip through your photos as well

Can't wait to read more!!
I'm enjoying re-living my own trip through my TR I love that about TRs though, and seeing different perspectives on the places you've been to.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: