Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #151
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I think I might have to think about heading back to Hong Kong when Mystic Manor opens up. It looks beautiful at night and I suspect that Grizzly Gulch ride might be something that we're going to enjoy as well.

Thanks for sharing. Great pics at night.
If they put as much effort into Mystic Point as they did for Grizzly Gulch, it's going to be beautiful area with awesome theming I think my next visit will be part of my 2015 Asia trip.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #152
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Continued...

We headed straight for Grizzly Gulch again. I wanted to make sure we saw it and rode the mine train at night. It was even quieter there than it had been during the day!

As is usually the case with these things, the mine train was more fun at night!
We love doing the rides both during the day and night. Like you, I'm more of a night fan.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #153
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemum View Post
We love doing the rides both during the day and night. Like you, I'm more of a night fan.
Although during the day you get to see more of the theming

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
Old 03-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #154
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Continued...

The tour left from the tourist information desk at the train station. The map had a little camera symbol where you were supposed to stop and take photos. I was following it very literally to start off with! First stop was the arch in front of the train station.

Then we were to continue walking in that direction until we reached the pier on the lake.

Next stop was the Chapel Bridge, which of course we’d already crossed the night before. I hadn’t taken any photos from this angle though.

Then we were to walk around the back streets a little, and past an old church.

When we got back to the river, there was another old covered bridge across. There was also remnants of the paddle wheel power supply the city used to rely on.

It was here that we realised there was a city wall around the Old Town! It was very exciting for me as I love the idea of city walls, and I hadn’t been expecting to see any. It was a bit hard to find exactly where we were supposed to go, and we were all very surprised to see a herd of cattle in the paddock in the middle of the city lol! We were all very careful on the snowy path, even though there were a group of teenagers along the way using the snow for sliding just for fun.

It was kind of difficult to know where we could cross the wall to get back into the city – I thought we might have to wander the whole length of it at one point lol! But eventually we found our way in and ended up back in the Old Town. We thought that was as good a point as any to stop for a bite to eat. Eventually we found a cafeteria style place, of the same chain that we stopped at for afternoon tea the day before. We only just managed to find a seat as our lunch was ready.

After filling our bellies, it was time to continue with the tour. There were a few windy bits around Old Town, which we decided to skip, having explored a bit the previous afternoon. So we went straight onto the Lion Monument. It took a while to find, and for the last couple of section the map hadn’t been that useful (it was more cartoon style than an actual map), but we managed to find it in the end.

I had never realised that the monument was over a pool of water, so I thought I’d better include the water in my photos. It must be there for a reason. Maybe because it's a nice place to go for reflection? If it wasn't for the group of kids playing a game there it would have been quite a solemn, thoughtful place.

There was a bit of a museum thing at the monument, which we decided to skip. It was getting fairly late and Dad still needed to shop for his Swiss army knife lol! So the next stop was the big church that we could see from our room. The church was beautiful in an entirely different way to something like Notre Dame. It was solid and stable, with just a few carvings at the main entrance.

From the church there was a nice view back towards the lake.

Mum had her eye on a shop for Dad’s Swiss army knife, it was like a big department store for tourists in the Old Town area. It had several floors of crazily expensive watches, jewellery and bags, and one little section of reasonably priced souvenir type stuff. Dad bought his white Swiss army knife, and I bought one for DH, then we both had them engraved which was pretty cool. It was a mission buying it though, we had to show our passports and fill in forms – it took about 10 minute just to put the transaction through!

Eventually we made it back to the hotel to have a bit of a rest before dinner. We went to an English pub style place in the same area we were in the previous night, where we all had fish and chips. Yep, very Swiss of us lol! Then it was back to the hotel for some packing and getting organised for yet another move the next day.
The English pub is where we had lunch too. I can taste the chips with vinegar right now.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #155
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

All caught up. Just loved it and what a great surprise from your husband.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #156
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
All caught up. Just loved it and what a great surprise from your husband.
Yep sure was!

What a small world that we've both eaten in the same pub in Lucerne

Hang in there everyone, nearly finished! Just got one more day to go!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #157
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Day 20 - The Finale

Hong Kong – Melbourne

As it was our last day today, we woke up reasonably early to pack, get organised, and check out before heading to the park. I planned to be there for opening again. Unfortunately DH was having some issues organising the next part of his holiday (he was going onto Thailand to visit a friend), so we didn’t make it again.

We decided to just have a quick breakfast at the Hollywood & Dine, which was kind of cafeteria style. DH had a made-to-order breakfast of noodles and eggs with chicken wings (which we both thought was kind of weird as a breakfast food). I just had a selection of fruit, yoghurt and juice from the fridge. I had left my camera in the room, so didn’t get any photos of the breakfast or the restaurant. It was definitely a quick service kind of place, but perfectly adequate for a quick breakfast on the way to the park.

Eventually we were ready to check out, so did that and caught the shuttle bus to the park (since we had our suitcases we decided it would be easier). There was no line for check out, and the shuttle bus pulled up just as we were getting to the bus stop.

First thing we did when we got to the park was stow our luggage. It was very quick and easy to do, and cost us HK$60 for each case. Well worth it for the convenience and time saved not having to go back to the hotel.

Soon we were in, and heading towards Winnie the Pooh. You may have noticed that I didn’t ever go back with my fastpass the previous day, and we thought it would be quieter not long after opening. We were in luck, only a 15 minute wait. So we jumped in line.

Then we were boarding our honeypot and bouncing along with Tigger! I did attempt to take photos on the ride, but failed miserably.

We exited through the shop. There were some specials in this shop last time I was there, so I had a quick look. There were specials again, but nothing that was of particular interest to me.

By the time we were exiting Pooh, it was nearly time for Fantasy Gardens to open.

We decided to have a bite to eat while we were waiting, and made our way to Clopin’s Festival of Foods.

We got a Schizuan (no idea how that is spelt lol!) beef between us, and watched the teacups while we were eating.

Then it was time to head back to Fantasy Gardens. The characters hadn’t all arrived yet, but I thought we may as well go around in order, so we lined up in Minnie’s pavilion. Soon enough she arrived, and there were only a couple of people in front of us in the line. The handlers saw my anniversary button and started singing happy birthday lol! I had long given up trying to correct people so I just went with it. But then they saw that DH had one too, and got very confused. We explained to them that it was actually our anniversary, which caused much amusement to Minnie, who had a good giggle (well, made lots of giggling gestures anyway). I had photos on my own first, but after learning about our anniversary, they made DH get in the picture too and got us to have a kiss.

Next up was Pooh, who also had a very short line! I hadn’t met Pooh before, so it was quite exciting for me!

We decided to give Mickey a miss, since we have lots of photos with him. The next pavilion was for Mulan, but she must have been on holidays while we were there, and Donald was there in his Chinese outfit instead. DH wanted to go straight to Goofy, so we skipped Donald and went to Goofy first.

Next we went back to Donald, and just walked straight up to him as there was no line at all! I felt a bit sorry for him!

There was a showing of the Golden Mickeys coming up, so we made our way out of the gardens and over to the Golden Mickeys theatre.

On the way out, we stopped to have a look at the official photos (as you may have remembered that I had vowed to buy one if we saw them again). We ended up getting one of the Minnie ones where we had a kiss, as we thought it was a nice souvenir of our 1st anniversary. We also got some keyrings with one of the Pooh photos on it. It took about 10 minutes to process the keyrings, then we made our way to the theatre.

Continued in next post...

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Last edited by zanzibar138; 04-06-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #158
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great update. Love the Donald in his chinese outfit. I must make a point of visiting the characters in that area NEXT time I go.

Looking forward to more.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #159
Disneyfanswicklow
Disney Fanatic!

Fabulous photos!

Jo Olivia
Disneyfanswicklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #160
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

That's a super cute 1 year anniversary photo with Minnie.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #161
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great update. Love the Donald in his chinese outfit. I must make a point of visiting the characters in that area NEXT time I go.

Looking forward to more.
I missed out last time, so I made a point of going this time. I did want to spend more time getting character photos, but with DH there it didn't quite turn out like that I was really hoping to get a photo with Mulan, but I think she had the week off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfanswicklow View Post
Fabulous photos!
Why thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemum View Post
That's a super cute 1 year anniversary photo with Minnie.
Yeah I love it too! We got a big copy of the professional one which is even nicer.

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #162
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran

Awww, such a cute pic with Minnie! We love having character pics done and getting them in all their different outfits is fun!

I adore the shirt you have on! I am looking forward to Mystic Manor as I do love me a good haunt!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #163
netimka
DIS Veteran

great report, enjoy reading it before going to DLP after you and then finishing on our return... and thanks for photos of Andy toy box, it really nice looking store and lots of stuff I didn't see here...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #164
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Oh good! I made it back before the very end! Grizzly Gulch looks just like Grizzly Peak!

Toy Story land sounds like fun! I'm not sure why I thought that Mystic Manor was already open. I'll be interested to hear about it when it does!

Great photos and TR so far!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #165
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
Awww, such a cute pic with Minnie! We love having character pics done and getting them in all their different outfits is fun!

I adore the shirt you have on! I am looking forward to Mystic Manor as I do love me a good haunt!!!
Yeah I love the different outfits And that t-shirt is one of my new favourites! I think Mystic Manor will be awesome You'll have to let us know how it compares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netimka View Post
great report, enjoy reading it before going to DLP after you and then finishing on our return... and thanks for photos of Andy toy box, it really nice looking store and lots of stuff I didn't see here...
You're welcome! There's more shop/merchandise photos coming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Oh good! I made it back before the very end! Grizzly Gulch looks just like Grizzly Peak!

Toy Story land sounds like fun! I'm not sure why I thought that Mystic Manor was already open. I'll be interested to hear about it when it does!

Great photos and TR so far!
Yep just made it! Grizzly Gulch is like a cross between Grizzly Peak/Grizzly River Run and Big Thunder Mountain. I can certainly see the resemblance to Grizzly Peak I'll be interested to hear about Mystic Point too!

TRIPS TAKEN

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: