Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Loveofgage
Earning My Ears

Alaska verandah worth double price?

Hi all. We just did the 3day Bahamas cruise in January and loved it. It was our first cruise and we had a verandah and were in heaven. So now we are hooked. I really want to do the Alaskan cruise in 2014 as we live on the west coast, to save on airfare and because I like getting the opposite season during the trip ( we live in central Cali which gets insanely hot in the summer). Anyway, I'm struggling with whether the verandah is worth the double price tag on the Alaska cruises. There are three of us ( me and my two sons) and if we do the inside cabin it would be several thousand dollars less than the verandah.

Is an inside cabin on the Alaska cruise even worth it or should I just pay for the verandah to
Loveofgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Much of the Alaskan cruise has land on both sides of the ship, and the views are spectacular. So yes, the verandah is worth it. Also love the fresh air without getting dressed and going up on deck.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

When I did Alaska we did an inside cabin and was glad I did. I heard people complaining about not being able to sleep because of the light. The sun does not go down until about 11:30 pm and comes back up about 4:30 am. When were were in areas that we wanted to see the outside we were on the top deck that let us see both sides quickly. I was just talking to one of my friends about their Alaska cruise and he did state they had problems because anytime the captain talked about a whale or something to see it was on the other side and they were setting on the veranda and did not get to see it.

Just my opinion
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

Hands down get a veranda. I was resting when my DH calls me outside with "Honey, blue iceberg floating right under our veranda!!!"! Beautiful! Sit outside and watch the eagles and bears.
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Our first cruise was to Alaska on our honeymoon. We did not get a balcony/verandah, and we never once missed it. Frankly, it was often chilly out on deck when the ship was moving, and I don't think it would have felt pleasant to sit on the verandah and look out.

We *did* get a verandah for our second cruise, which was the 3 day Dream Bahamas last month, and that was highly pleasant. Nice and warm to sit outside even while the ship was moving.

So for us, verandah is for the warm cruises. Cheaper cabin is for Alaska. Go out on deck to see the sights!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
EllinK
Earning My Ears

Save your $ for excursions

We took Disney to Alaska. It was an amazing trip. Since it was our first cruise, we got a verandah. Maybe went out on it twice. Yes, the scenery is amazing but unless you have little ones who are napping,you are going to be up on deck where you have a wide open sky and view of both sides of the ship.

I would spend some of the $ you save on the helicopter/dog sled excursion. Just amazing! We did it independently with Temsco out of Skagway. We walked about 50 feet from the dock to the Temsco office. I don't think the price was much different from Disney but it was so great to be in a tiny group -- our family of 3, another family of 3, the pilot and the people who trained the dogs. That was it on the glacier!

My son was 7 and led the dog sled. It is worth the $$.
EllinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Like you, I justified the extra money spent on DCL to Alaska with the fact that I won't be paying huge amounts in airfare. That said, as much as I'd like a verandah for this cruise, I just can't justify THAT much money. I'll be camping on deck.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Lobofan5
Mouseketeer

Verandah!

We have a 2014 Alaska cruise planned and we have an aft verandah right near the 'secret deck 7' and I think being aft, it will be less breezy and all spectacular!

We have had verandahs on all of our cruises and it has made the small space completly livable for our family of 4.

I plan on spending a lot of verandah time.. a lot!

Note: we booked while onboard and got an awesome rate on the room, not like the insane rates that are showing on the website now..
Lobofan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
gojulia
Earning My Ears

Loved our verandah! In my mind totally worth it. I think an outside stateroom with window would have been fine too though. But there was constantly something to see in Alaska, so I think I would have gone crazy not being able to see from my room. We were really never in a place where there wasn't some beautiful view.
gojulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
super mike b
DIS Veteran

It depends what you want out of your trip. The views are amazing. If you have an inside cabin you have to go out to public areas to see anything. We saw quite a few whales from the comfort of our cabin.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobofan5 View Post
Verandah!

We have a 2014 Alaska cruise planned and we have an aft verandah right near the 'secret deck 7' and I think being aft, it will be less breezy and all spectacular!

We have had verandahs on all of our cruises and it has made the small space completly livable for our family of 4.

I plan on spending a lot of verandah time.. a lot!

Note: we booked while onboard and got an awesome rate on the room, not like the insane rates that are showing on the website now..
We will be right next to you! When are you going? We are on the Aug 18 2014 sailing. Although we did pay the insane rates showing up online right now! Oh well.

OP, I justified the veranda because I like the idea of hubby and I going out there while the kids are inside. I have heard from some people on the DIS that at times it can be super crowded on deck especially during the Tracy Arm day. I don't want to fight crowds, I like the option of having our own space for our family. I have seen photos people have taken from their veranda and they are AMAZING. Also the veranda rooms are slightly larger and every square foot counts in our family! I doubt we will go back to Alaska again so I want to make the most of it. I booked two connecting 4e rooms. Good luck with your decision!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

While we didn't get a verandah for our Alaska cruise, and have a porthole booked again for 2014, you can't compare the cost of a 3-night cruise to that of a 7-night cruise. If you book a verandah on the Fantasy in the summer it will be the same or even more than on the Alaska cruises.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

We had a verandah when we did alaska and hardly went out on it...too cold. When moving you get the constant breeze of cold air.

If I did it again I think I would be happy with a porthole so I can at least see out.

Also if you dont get a veranda there are a lot of public places to go and view. Deck 4 is great and doesnt get that crowded

I would save your money, excursions, whether through Disney or on your own (which is what I would recommend) are pricey.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #14
Pooh001
Mouseketeer

A verandah is a must . There is land on both sides . We sat on verandah and watched whales jump out of the water and wave at locals on shore . Totally worth the extra money
Pooh001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveofgage View Post
Hi all. We just did the 3day Bahamas cruise in January and loved it. It was our first cruise and we had a verandah and were in heaven. So now we are hooked. I really want to do the Alaskan cruise in 2014 as we live on the west coast, to save on airfare and because I like getting the opposite season during the trip ( we live in central Cali which gets insanely hot in the summer). Anyway, I'm struggling with whether the verandah is worth the double price tag on the Alaska cruises. There are three of us ( me and my two sons) and if we do the inside cabin it would be several thousand dollars less than the verandah.

Is an inside cabin on the Alaska cruise even worth it or should I just pay for the verandah to
We've had a verandah a few times, and enjoyed it, but the Alaska cruise was the only one where it seemed worth the additional expense - we were on Carnival, and in Glacier Bay there were hours and hours of ice and animals to watch.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: