Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
WittyAmb
Mouseketeer

Honeymoon Registry?

Okay ladies... so here's what's up.

I look around our apartment and I say to myself "self... what exactly is it that we need?" and the answer is nothing. There are a few wants, sure, but needs... none. We live in NYC and space is pretty limited SO we've been considering doing a honeymoon registry. I don't know much about them or the different types though I think, at least given our circumstance, it's ideal and way more practical. I definitely don't want to rent a storage space for wedding gifts.

Do any of you have any experience with setting up a honeymoon registry or know much about that? These boards have already been SO helpful... I figured it was worth a shot asking! :-)

Hope you're all having a fantastic day!
WittyAmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

If you're honeymooning at Disney, there is one run by Honeymoon Wishes and branded as Disney's Honeymoon Registry that give you money you can use toward your honeymoon. However, it charges up to 10% of each gift amount in fees (7% that you choose whether you pay or guests pay, plus 3% if guests use a credit card), and all it's doing is giving you a check or a direct deposit, not, like, Disney dollars, so it's probably better to set up a honeymoon registry through a service with lower fees.

By contrast, eHoneymoon Registry (http://www.ehoneymoonregistry.com) charges couples a 3% transaction fee and guests a 4.9% credit card transaction fee. Traveler’s Joy (http://www.travelersjoy.com) charges couples 7.5% and guests nothing. Wanderable (http://www.wanderable.com/pages/honeymoon_registry) charges no transaction fees, but to make credit card purchases, guests use PayPal (3% fee).

lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
lurkyloo

Aw, nuts! Double post...

Last edited by lurkyloo; 03-06-2013 at 12:03 PM. Reason: El post-o doubl-o!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
WittyAmb
Mouseketeer

Thank you!!! I'll definitely look into those. I've read a lot about honeyfund too.

I have to say that I read reviews from other boards, weddingwire and the knot. The girls are SOOO much nicer on here than they are there. Especially the knot. You wouldn't believe how mean they are to the girls who put postings up about honeymoon registries. I feel so lucky to be apart of such a supportive community of brides.

~Cristina
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

Are you honeymooning at Disney?

We are and I don't like the fees of these sites so we registered at Target and only put on Disney Gift Cards. This way we can use them for whatever we want and there's no extra fees!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
lurkyloo

Ooh! That is a really good idea! I usually don't recommend Target for a regular wedding registry because their return policies for registry items are so crummy, but that's genius! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

Thanks I will!

Jodi
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
WittyAmb
Mouseketeer

What a great idea!

We're actually not gonna honeymoon at Disney... we're thinking about going to Hawaii... seems relaxing enough.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

Oh I LOVE Hawaii!! We would've done that but were getting married on the Disney Dream and that would be way too much flying.

Would you stay at Aulani?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
WittyAmb
Mouseketeer

lol! Actually I hadn't even considered it. I'll look at reviews but my fear would maybe be since it's a Disney hotel that there'd be more kids than other places. Not sure though... we have to research it for sure! :-D
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

We went last year and I loved it! It's a gorgeous resort!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
ziggystardust
DIS Veteran

I'm not in the honeymoon planning stages (yet!). But we have been to a ton of weddings plus we just moved out of a closet in Long beach NY, so
I feel your pain.

We had one bridal/wedding registry that was for their honeymoon. It was part of their wedding website. It said out you gave $100- it was a plane ticket. $200 it was a dinner at the resort or whatever.

I personally liked it. I'm sure some people prefer to give cash. I think some 'old school' guests might not know how to handle such a registry but I'm sure they would figure something out.

Congrats!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyAmb View Post
lol! Actually I hadn't even considered it. I'll look at reviews but my fear would maybe be since it's a Disney hotel that there'd be more kids than other places. Not sure though... we have to research it for sure! :-D
We just did a vow renewal at Aulani, and I'd say the number of kids there was not overwhelming. Granted, the resort was only 65% full, but I never felt like the ones who were there were underfoot or anything. We still managed to have a very romantic time!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
WittyAmb
Mouseketeer

I'll definitely look into Aulani then. Would be extra nice if they gave discounts to people who get married at WDW :-D

We would be going in January when kids are back in school. I teach college so we don't start our semester until the end of the month and our wedding is on the 5th. So I guess it wouldn't be too crazy any way.

Thanks for you all your help!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
aprilpeter
Earning My Ears

Hi there.. It is being very nice to read your post. I have also created a honeymoon registry with ourwishingwell.com for my wedding and very excited for it. I think having your own personalized registry is a great fun.
aprilpeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: