Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Ken_Breadbox
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
I'll keep my money at Canadian Stores.
This is an admirable sentiment, and one I'm sure most DISers would agree with--even the ones who shop at Target.
I'm willing to pay a small premium to Canadian retailers to keep my money in Canada. However, I will not accept paying 30%-70% more (in some cases it's even a hundred percent Canadian markup). There is no reason for it with the dollar close to parity.
"But...economies of scale!"
Except what is it, 85% of Canadians live within a hundred miles of the U.S. border? Most of this stuff has travelled thousands of miles from China already, what's another hundred miles? An eyeblink. I can understand why an apple would cost an arm and a leg in Iqaluit. I can't understand why something should cost twice as much in Sarnia as it does in Port Huron. Until Canadian retailers accept this and start charging reasonable prices, they are doomed to play second fiddle to the American retailers who offer price and selection.
Ken_Breadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

I've been to both the Guelph and Fergus stores. Same stuff. Stores are not fully stocked though, still about 1/3 empty. Lots of suits running around from different stores, learning so that when their stores open they will have an idea what to expect.

Prices are all over the place, (some better, some worse than Walmart) you really have to know to compare.

I applied for the Red Card a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. The 5% off will be nice. I'm hoping like in the US that it will apply to everything including gift cards, guess we'll wait and see...

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
My 2 princesses
Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bug:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhltiffany View Post
I've been to both the Guelph and Fergus stores. Same stuff. Stores are not fully stocked though, still about 1/3 empty. Lots of suits running around from different stores, learning so that when their stores open they will have an idea what to expect.

Prices are all over the place, (some better, some worse than Walmart) you really have to know to compare.

I applied for the Red Card a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. The 5% off will be nice. I'm hoping like in the US that it will apply to everything including gift cards, guess we'll wait and see...
I just applied for the Red Card last week and I asked about GC's and they said no. I also did not see Disney GC's for sale at the store and that's what I was really looking forward to save. Good thing we almost always fly out of Buffalo so we can now atleast use our cards there to buy the Disney GC's befor our trip.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #19
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

Our local store opens next month and looking forward to it! Not expecting US prices but hoping they're competitive and also some of the brands/variety not at other stores will be here.

Will know soon.....

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 2 princesses View Post
I just applied for the Red Card last week and I asked about GC's and they said no. I also did not see Disney GC's for sale at the store and that's what I was really looking forward to save. Good thing we almost always fly out of Buffalo so we can now atleast use our cards there to buy the Disney GC's befor our trip.
I was planning on paying off the balance of our room only reservations in cash, but if I purchase the gift cards in Buffalo prior to the trip, I can pay it off with those instead, and earn the 5% back on my Red card??
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
kuhltiffany
Mouseketeer

I did read the fine print and it did not say anything about excluding gift cards from the 5% discount. Doesn't surprise me though, and since I didn't see any Disney ones, it doesn't really matter...

Hmmm, so we can use our Canadian Red Cards in the US? I never thought of that...we'll be there in Oct before our PIF date of Dec

kuhltiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
Babooagain
Earning My Ears

You might not be able to use your Canadian Red cards in the States. Canadian Home Depot cards don't work down there and the American ones don't work here.
Babooagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I just received the initial paperwork for the Target debit I applied for last week. It clearly states that our cards can only be used in Canada.

A friend has a US Target credit card and has for years so it's possible for us to apply for cc's down there. Not sure about debit cards but I'd be surprised if we could get a US debit card attached to a Canadian financial institution.

The only reference I could find to the 5% discount and gift cards was that the Canadian Target debit is not eligible for the 5% discount when purchasing Target gift cards so not sure about other ones. I'd be surprised if they carried the Disney gc's here due to the difference in the dollar but I'd sure love to be proved wrong!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
Old 03-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
My 2 princesses
Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bug:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babooagain View Post
You might not be able to use your Canadian Red cards in the States. Canadian Home Depot cards don't work down there and the American ones don't work here.
If you applied for the Red Matercard card, you can use it in the US or anywhere else worldwide. The debit card, I'm not sure about.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #25
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

I have my new red Target credit card (courtesy of RBC). It is a mastercard, so will work wherever MC works. AND get me the 5% discount at Target. I wasn't willing to do another debit card, so this works well for me. I applied online and had the card in my hand within 2 weeks.

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #26
abdmom
DIS Veteran

17 new stores opening tomorrow

Including the one 10 minutes from my house. Woohoo!!

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013...w_at_8_am.html
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #27
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I was at one of the stores tonight that will open to the public tomorrow. Loved it!! The prices were comparable to other box stores but it was just nice to have a new place to shop and also the 5% discount with the debit card will be a savings. Found prices to be about what I expected. The little separates I normally pay about $4 for in the US were $6 here but I expected as much. In the end it will still be cheaper for me to shop at Target in the US due to lesser prices and lower sales tax but it is nice to have it close to home as an option.

Very bright and clean. Bought my DD a sweet little princess bathing suit. It felt weird to be walking around Target and realizing I was only 10 mins from home!

Welcome to Canada Target!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

I went to our Target this morning. Bright, clean, lots of great stuff. You definitely have to know your prices. Some were right on par with Wal Mart others more expensive. But I love having another option.

I parked beside "WDW MOM" in the parking lot Thought maybe she was one of us.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #29
susanv
Mouseketeer

Do they have the bottles of Mickey foam hand soap?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #30
newdeal
DIS Veteran

just watch out using your credit card to get 5% back in the states. The paperwork that comes with the card mentions they charge 2.5% extra over whatever the standard rate is to convert the money back to Canadian which basically kills the deal. I have my red credit card and was hoping they would get gift cards in Canada too
newdeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: