Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

I just happened to see your ticker from Karen's Trip Report & noticed it looked like you were going in November- just like me. So I had to jump over and read your report!!! (I have one too going for November below). I do see you now changed to October- but close enough! Right?

Family is adorable! Esp. that little one.... what a fun trip just the two of you!

And I'm totally jealous of your other big travel plans. I LOVE (LOVE, LOVE) to travel. It's my passion! My mom worked for the airline growing up and I was a total airline brat & that carried over (only now I can't fly free!!) Hahahahah!

I've been thinking about food too for our Nov trip... I have so many ideas. .just not sure what I want to commit to! I'm staying at AKV so I have to go to Boma but I don't think my family will like it. Maybe I'll do it by myself..........

Looking forward to following-
Nicole
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #32
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
I just happened to see your ticker from Karen's Trip Report & noticed it looked like you were going in November- just like me. So I had to jump over and read your report!!! (I have one too going for November below). I do see you now changed to October- but close enough! Right?

Family is adorable! Esp. that little one.... what a fun trip just the two of you!

And I'm totally jealous of your other big travel plans. I LOVE (LOVE, LOVE) to travel. It's my passion! My mom worked for the airline growing up and I was a total airline brat & that carried over (only now I can't fly free!!) Hahahahah!

I've been thinking about food too for our Nov trip... I have so many ideas. .just not sure what I want to commit to! I'm staying at AKV so I have to go to Boma but I don't think my family will like it. Maybe I'll do it by myself..........

Looking forward to following-
Nicole
It will be so fun sharing plans with each other (I am about to jump over to your PTR!!). I am totally jealous that you are staying at AKV...I think I have just about talked myself into a Mod hotel though. I keep wavering between staying on budget and staying at a slightly quieter place.

You have to go to Boma!! We went last November and it was incredible. I will definitely be going there again this year. There are so many great choices so I am having such a hard time deciding which restaurants I want to go to. Oh well...I have about 38 days until I can make reservations (not that I am counting or anything), so a little more time to decide. I wonder if there is any chance free dining will come out. That would be huge for me. I am pretty much decided that I want to do the deluxe dining but any savings on that would be most welcome.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #33
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

My secret is I rented points for a rather good value (except if free dining comes out, I won't get it... that's the only trade-off). I decided however, I will console myself by eating a pop-tart from home looking at a giraffe on my balcony!

If you lean towards mods- I have stayed at Coronado. It's very big. If that's a negative for you (nice pool & playground area). Maybe go with the French Quarter? That's supposed to be pretty small & beautiful.

I see on your resturants you have Kona for breakfast- YES!!! Go there, it's SOOO good. That tonga toast. Oh my! YUM. YUM. YUM.

I am doing Beaches and Cream in November as well & was thinking Big River. I've never eaten at Big River. Have had Beaches and Cream like 11 years ago.

I'm debating Prime Time and Sci-Fi for HS. Still havn't decided on that....

I guess that is a lot of the fun- planning this ALL out! Right?
Tinker326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #34
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

So exciting that you have official dates - can't wait to hear what resort you pick!

I know the feeling about the kids hitting those "magical" heights. My Christmas present to the kids last year was a trip to Legoland, and pretty much everything there requires 36in height. DS was stuck at 35in for MONTHS leading up to Chrismtas! I was so nervous that my present was going to be a bust for him, but he finally got that last inch right at the last minute, and I was so relieved

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA | 2014: POR
Upcoming Trips: 12/14 - WL | 7/15 - ASMusic | 3/16 - DCL Fantasy - W.Car (7 nights)
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
My secret is I rented points for a rather good value (except if free dining comes out, I won't get it... that's the only trade-off). I decided however, I will console myself by eating a pop-tart from home looking at a giraffe on my balcony!

If you lean towards mods- I have stayed at Coronado. It's very big. If that's a negative for you (nice pool & playground area). Maybe go with the French Quarter? That's supposed to be pretty small & beautiful.

I see on your resturants you have Kona for breakfast- YES!!! Go there, it's SOOO good. That tonga toast. Oh my! YUM. YUM. YUM.

I am doing Beaches and Cream in November as well & was thinking Big River. I've never eaten at Big River. Have had Beaches and Cream like 11 years ago.

I'm debating Prime Time and Sci-Fi for HS. Still havn't decided on that....

I guess that is a lot of the fun- planning this ALL out! Right?
I am so excited about the Tonga Toast. Every reading countless reports I just know they are for me. I debating getting the pressed coffee pot. I probably will because hey I am on vacation! Kona Café and Boma are my two definites and everything else is up for debate.

If I had had to choose between 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi, I would definitely go with Sci-Fi. I really disliked the food at 50's Prime Time and it is the luck of the draw with the server you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
So exciting that you have official dates - can't wait to hear what resort you pick!

I know the feeling about the kids hitting those "magical" heights. My Christmas present to the kids last year was a trip to Legoland, and pretty much everything there requires 36in height. DS was stuck at 35in for MONTHS leading up to Chrismtas! I was so nervous that my present was going to be a bust for him, but he finally got that last inch right at the last minute, and I was so relieved
That must of been nerve-wracking while you were waiting for him to grow that extra inch! It would really stink if he couldn't enjoy the rides.

I think I have talked myself up to a Mod. When I am looking at pictures of the Values, they are really looking like Motel rooms. I am thinking I would like to try and come up with the extra money and stay at a nicer place. I am really interested in the French Quarter. It seems smaller and more manageable. Though I tend to change my mind every 5 minutes. I am pretty confident that I am going to book this weekend so I am nervous and excited about committing.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #36
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

Alright I'm subbing in to this one!

I can't believe I didn't come over here and check it out yet. How is your list of dining plans coming along? Got it narrowed down any?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #37
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
Alright I'm subbing in to this one!

I can't believe I didn't come over here and check it out yet. How is your list of dining plans coming along? Got it narrowed down any?
It is getting there. My only definites so far are Boma and Kona Cafe. I find my biggest problem is I keep getting drawn to lots of buffets and I am not a fan of buffets so I am not sure if it would be too much. I feel like usually the quality of food is way better if you have a regular menu.

My other problem is I am reading other people's PTR and start thinking that their restaurants so awesome. It is slowly getting whittled down.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #38
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

my DS will be turning 4 two days before our trip and know you got me wanting to go measure him. I really am planning on him being tall enough this time. That was one of the main reasons why we did not go last year.
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | April 15
ME(28)and DS(4)Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
leshunlenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #39
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

So I believe I am going to pull the trigger this weekend and book a resort. Hopefully I won't drive myself too crazy before making a decision

I have been obsessively stalking the Resort Forum and googling and pricing out stays at the different resorts. The other thing I am going crazy over is looking for discounts. I keep hoping I will magically get a PIN code or Free Dining would be announced (I realize that one won't happen any time soon).

I have narrowed it down to the following resorts...when I say narrowed, I pretty much mean any Resort that I can remotely afford. I have the following on my list:

All Stars Movies:

Pros: I like this one because of the price. That is pretty much the only plus I have for it.

Cons:I think it looks super big, I am not in love with the way the rooms look, and there are very few characters that Gabrian would get. Most of the movies they are featuring are ones that he has not seen.

POP:

Pros: I really want to eat some of that tie dye cheesecake. The price is still really decent. It is in walking distance to AoA which I really want to explore. A lot of people seem to really like it.

Cons: I am not a fan of the theming of the resort and again I don't think Gabrian would get it. It sounds like it is very crowded and noisy. The bus is the last stop at the different parks. It sounds really large and difficult to get to places.

AoA:

Pros: Gabrian would love the theming of the Resort. The price of the LM rooms are still reasonable. I love the picture of the pools.

Cons: It sounds like it is a really far walk from the LM rooms and I wouldn't be able to afford a Cars Suite (which is what Gabrian would love to have). It sounds like I would have no shot of getting a discount at this resort. The resort sounds really big.

POR:

Pros: The Resort grounds look beautiful. They have a great sounding restaurant onsite. The rooms look really nice in the pictures. It has a boat to DTD. It has a real resort feel. It is more likely to get a discount.

Cons: It sounds like the busses can get really busy. It is a really large resort. There are over 2000 rooms.

POFQ:

Pros: I love the look of the lobby. It is a very compact resort and it seems like it would be easy to get around. It is the first bus stop so you are more likely to be able to get a seat. It has an awesome pool that Gabrian loved the look of. It has the boat to DTD.

Cons: Some of the pictures of the outside of buildings look like cheap motel. The reviews are not as good as POR. It seems like you would be less likely to get a discount offered on the room. There is no TS restaurant onsite.

I am also considering CBR and CSR but that seems like it would be a very slim chance. I am not feeling quite the same pull to them.

I am open to every and all suggestions. Please let me know if I am missing something that I should be considering.

My other food for thought is how many park ticket days should I get. I am leaning towards 4 but would consider 5. We are arriving on Saturday at 12:55 PM (though by the time we get to the resort I am thinking it wouldn't be until closer to 3). We are leaving on Thursday at 7:10 PM. I am thinking we will need to leave the resort by 4.

My thought on Saturday is that we can take advantage of the free miniature golf that is included in the package and maybe go to Planet Hollywood for an appetizer with the $15 voucher. On Thursday I thought we could go to Disney Quest that is included in the package and then have a nice lunch and get in last minute shopping. It seems like a shame to pass up on those free items with the package (I realize with the money I am paying...that I am totally paying for those things but I like to think of them as free!).

What do you guys think? Will I regret not getting a 5th ticket?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #40
indimom
Are We There Yet?

We've only stayed at Pop Century, so I can't compare it to the others. But, we really liked it. I'm sure the theming isn't quite as young kid friendly as the All Stars, and I don't think anything can compare to the kid-centric theming at the AoA (we are totally going to explore that one on our trip also, if I can convince dad. ).

But, we stayed at the far reaches of the resort both times and didn't find the walk too difficult (we prefer the outskirts of the resort for the quiet). We were in the 90s section the first time and could easily trot across a parking lot to the buses. Very quick. But it was much warmer crossing all that blacktop.
Our last trip we were in the 60s (I think), on the back side facing the lake and AoA. A slightly longer walk, but still not bad.

We found the buses great. We never waited long. The longest drive is to MK, so that's not ideal, but still not awful when you had a seat.
Just do NOT get on a bus back to the resort at the end of a long day if you will end up standing with your little guy. Just my opinion, but it would be easier to wait for the next bus (which come quickly when the crowds are exiting the park) than to try to stand with a young one for the entire ride back. (We actually try to follow the advice of staying seated while the crowd exits, then heading out as things quiet down.)

Good Luck making the resort decision. That's a tough one!

As for tickets. I think you should get the 4-day pass. You can always add a day to your tickets if you decide you want to add another park day.
We're going to be at Ft. Wilderness for 5 days, but we're only going to have four park days. We'll just enjoy our resort, DD, or maybe some putt putt on our check-in day.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunlenese View Post
my DS will be turning 4 two days before our trip and know you got me wanting to go measure him. I really am planning on him being tall enough this time. That was one of the main reasons why we did not go last year.
How did the measuring go? Is he there yet. Fingers crossed for you guys

Old 03-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #42
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
We've only stayed at Pop Century, so I can't compare it to the others. But, we really liked it. I'm sure the theming isn't quite as young kid friendly as the All Stars, and I don't think anything can compare to the kid-centric theming at the AoA (we are totally going to explore that one on our trip also, if I can convince dad. ).

But, we stayed at the far reaches of the resort both times and didn't find the walk too difficult (we prefer the outskirts of the resort for the quiet). We were in the 90s section the first time and could easily trot across a parking lot to the buses. Very quick. But it was much warmer crossing all that blacktop.
Our last trip we were in the 60s (I think), on the back side facing the lake and AoA. A slightly longer walk, but still not bad.

We found the buses great. We never waited long. The longest drive is to MK, so that's not ideal, but still not awful when you had a seat.
Just do NOT get on a bus back to the resort at the end of a long day if you will end up standing with your little guy. Just my opinion, but it would be easier to wait for the next bus (which come quickly when the crowds are exiting the park) than to try to stand with a young one for the entire ride back. (We actually try to follow the advice of staying seated while the crowd exits, then heading out as things quiet down.)

Good Luck making the resort decision. That's a tough one!

As for tickets. I think you should get the 4-day pass. You can always add a day to your tickets if you decide you want to add another park day.
We're going to be at Ft. Wilderness for 5 days, but we're only going to have four park days. We'll just enjoy our resort, DD, or maybe some putt putt on our check-in day.
This decision is just so tough. Woe is me right?? I am so torn between a moderate and the value. I am glad that you are thinking the same way as me about the tickets. Do you think it is better to do one resort at a time or should I think about park hoppers? I am thinking it is not worth the extra money at this time with Gabrian. Maybe when he gets older it would be better.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #43
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
How did the measuring go? Is he there yet. Fingers crossed for you guys
I actually did after you gave me the idea and he is well and good at 42 inches. He likes to watch roller coaster rides an you tube and he thinks he can ride them. I found Everest on there and he wants to ride it. One brave kid but he still has 2 more inches before he can ride it.
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | April 15
ME(28)and DS(4)Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
leshunlenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #44
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Reservation Time

"Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea"

Ok...I completely surprised myself but I have finally committed to a Resort and I couldn't be happier. October 19th - October 24th we will be staying at AoA in a Little Mermaid room!

(Thank you to whoever's picture this is. It was a great shot of the room!)

I was debating back and forth and really thought I had decided on a moderate (even though it was out of my price range). However, I found a great resource of pictures on trip advisor and none of the pictures of any the moderates were really speaking to me. I just couldn't see any of them really being worth the extra money. When I found the pictures of AoA, I just knew it would be perfect for Gabrian. He will recognize all of the characters and the biggest selling point was this:

It was so exciting to actually make the reservation. On my Disney page it says 217 days until vacation. I am so beyond thrilled and I love how you can make multiple payments online so I can chip away at this balance. I would like to request a King size bed and to be put in the building that is the closest as possible to everything (I realize that all of the LM rooms are pretty far away and all pretty close to each other but it seems that building 9 may be the "closest" so I will have to research). Then I will have to figure out how to make the request.

Now I can spend the next 37 days obsessing over the dining reservations.

Last edited by Riles_and_Gabe; 03-17-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #45
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
"Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea"

Ok...I completely surprised myself but I have finally committed to a Resort and I couldn't be happier. October 19th - October 24th we will be staying at AoA in a Little Mermaid room!

(Thank you to whoever's picture this is. It was a great shot of the room!)

I was debating back and forth and really thought I had decided on a moderate (even though it was out of my price range). However, I found a great resource of pictures on trip advisor and none of the pictures of any the moderates were really speaking to me. I just couldn't see any of them really being worth the extra money. When I found the pictures of AoA, I just knew it would be perfect for Gabrian. He will recognize all of the characters and the biggest selling point was this:

It was so exciting to actually make the reservation. On my Disney page it says 217 days until vacation. I am so beyond thrilled and I love how you can make multiple payments online so I can chip away at this balance. I would like to request a King size bed and to be put in the building that is the closest as possible to everything (I realize that all of the LM rooms are pretty far away and all pretty close to each other but it seems that building 9 may be the "closest" so I will have to research). Then I will have to figure out how to make the request.

Now I can spend the next 37 days obsessing over the dining reservations.
Ooooh, so jealous. I think that resort is adorable. Your son is going to LOVE it!!!
I couldn't see the photos? So I've got a question...
Are those standard rooms or suites? I know they have both at AoA.

I wish, wish, wish I could stay the night in a cosy cone. lol. Too bad they didn't create cosy cone cabins for that section.
I'm such a dork and think that would be hilarious.

Yeah for AoA! Take lots of pictures!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: