Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

I LOVE BOMA!!!! It is a must do for every trip now. I am a sucker for the Butternut Squash soap. I also really like to FooFoo which is a combo of Mashed Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Corrine 1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #17
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Modes of Transportation

I had been toying around with the idea of possibly driving down to Florida. Besides that fact that Gabrian considers the plane ride as part of his vacation, it dawned on me that I would be in a car for 23 hours each way with a 4 year old...ALONE

So clearly flying is the way for us to go. We have 3 airports that we are considering flying out of. The first, which is the easiest option is to fly out of Portland, ME. This airport is only 10 minutes from my house. Unfortunately, it tends to be fairly expensive to fly out here.

The next option would be to fly out of Boston. Gabrian and I could take either the train or bus to Boston. It is an ok option.

The last option would be to fly out of Warwick, RI (the Providence Airport or TF Green). My Mom could drive us there (about 3 hours away) and visit my Grandmother the same time. Then Gabrian and I could take the bus/train back to Portland. The money savings would have to be pretty great because it would be a pretty big hassle and there would be hotel nights involved which would be extra expenses.

I have been eyeing Southwest. So far they have the schedule up to the end of October. The best price right now is to fly out of Providence (if I plug in a made up week in October). For the two of us with taxes they were coming in about $339. Pretty good price! I will keep watching the websites and will jump when I see a good price.

What have you guys done to get good deals on airfares?

Ok...I will leave you with some pictures from our last vacation:

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Last edited by Riles_and_Gabe; 03-13-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Not too much as changed since I last posted. My Mom came to visit this weekend so we have been having fun around Portland. Yesterday we went to the Portland Flower Show and had a great time. It didn't come close to the Boston show but it was nice to get a touch of Spring when we are so desperate for Winter to be over.

I feel like there are so many decisions to make. I have been looking at the different resorts but it so hard to try and pick one. Then I go back and forth about whether or not I should stay offsite and try to save some money. Though traveling with just Gabrian that makes me nervous and I am definitely leaning towards staying onsite.

I think my main concern is that the value resorts seem so large and it may get overwhelming with the walking...especially after a long day at the park. I look at the mods but they seem quite large as well and I am pretty sure can't afford them anyway. I guess I am hopeful some great discount will come out and I can afford something better.

Then I am trying to decide if getting a dining plan would work. I think what I need to do is figure out which restaurant I want to go to and then price out what I would order to see which would make more financial sense. It will help when the park hours come out and I can try to get a rough outline of my plans.

I tried my hand at priceline for airline tickets. I got no takers on my $125 bid per ticket. I will keep trying periodically because it would be great to save some money on the tickets.

I am thinking about doing some type of pirate experience for Gabrian. I am interested in maybe the pirate boat ride or the pirate thing at Magic Kingdom.

There are so many decisions to make. It is almost harder when you don't have anyone to veto you or have their own opinions. Oh well...whatever happens it will be a fantastic vacation!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!!

Last edited by Riles_and_Gabe; 03-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #19
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Hello! Checking in! Looks like you've got some great plans going...

And, yes, you've got two handsome guys there.

It's so nice that you'll get that one-on-one time with your little guy. And so sweet that big brother was fine with the plan!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
Hello! Checking in! Looks like you've got some great plans going...

And, yes, you've got two handsome guys there.

It's so nice that you'll get that one-on-one time with your little guy. And so sweet that big brother was fine with the plan!

Can't wait to read more!
Welcome!! Thank you so much and I agree Riley is really sweet about Gabrian going. It is one really great thing about having such a big age difference between the 2. Riley is very protective of Gabrian.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
gtpoohbear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
Not too much as changed since I last posted. My Mom came to visit this weekend so we have been having fun around Portland. Yesterday we went to the Portland Flower Show and had a great time. It didn't come close to the Boston show but it was nice to get a touch of Spring when we are so desperate for Winter to be over.

I feel like there are so many decisions to make. I have been looking at the different resorts but it so hard to try and pick one. Then I go back and forth about whether or not I should stay offsite and try to save some money. Though traveling with just Gabrian that makes me nervous and I am definitely leaning towards staying onsite.

I think my main concern is that the value resorts seem so large and it may get overwhelming with the walking...especially after a long day at the park. I look at the mods but they seem quite large as well and I am pretty sure can't afford them anyway. I guess I am hopeful some great discount will come out and I can afford something better.

Then I am trying to decide if getting a dining plan would work. I think what I need to do is figure out which restaurant I want to go to and then price out what I would order to see which would make more financial sense. It will help when the park hours come out and I can try to get a rough outline of my plans.

I tried my hand at priceline for airline tickets. I got no takers on my $125 bid per ticket. I will keep trying periodically because it would be great to save some money on the tickets.

I am thinking about doing some type of pirate experience for Gabrian. I am interested in maybe the pirate boat ride or the pirate thing at Magic Kingdom.

There are so many decisions to make. It is almost harder when you don't have anyone to veto you or have their own opinions. Oh well...whatever happens it will be a fantastic vacation!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!!!
You know, even though we are staying Deluxe this time, I've actually found myself missing ASMo, and really wishing we could try AoA. The value resorts really are a lot of fun! And for just 2 people it's plenty of room. Going to have to find a way to slip down there without DH sometime soon since he refuses to try one.

I think you may end up with a bit of walking no matter what level of resort - we were pretty far away from everything at both Poly and CBR. It mostly depends on what building you get - we were the closest to the pool and food court at ASMo actually.

I know what you mean about all the decisions- it's overwhelming, but that's actually part of the fun for me. I feel a little sad when everything is all settled, like part of the vacation is already over!

All Trip Reports & Photo Albums are located here!
Previous Trips: 2008: Poly | 2010: CBR | 2012: ASMo | 2013: YC | 2014: AKL, AoA | 2014: POR
Upcoming Trips: 12/14 - WL | 7/15 - ASMusic | 3/16 - DCL Fantasy - W.Car (7 nights)
gtpoohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #22
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read more!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Can't wait to read more!
Thank you so much for joining in!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpoohbear View Post
You know, even though we are staying Deluxe this time, I've actually found myself missing ASMo, and really wishing we could try AoA. The value resorts really are a lot of fun! And for just 2 people it's plenty of room. Going to have to find a way to slip down there without DH sometime soon since he refuses to try one.

I think you may end up with a bit of walking no matter what level of resort - we were pretty far away from everything at both Poly and CBR. It mostly depends on what building you get - we were the closest to the pool and food court at ASMo actually.

I know what you mean about all the decisions- it's overwhelming, but that's actually part of the fun for me. I feel a little sad when everything is all settled, like part of the vacation is already over!
That is good to know about the walking. I will take that out of the equation when looking at the resorts. I do like the decisions...at the beginning it seems like anything is a possibility. I guess this is the first time where I was the sole decision maker for a trip. It is very different but exciting at the same time

Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #25
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I am starting to get really antsy to book something. I have been checking the airline tickets several times a day...I tend to get obsessive in my planning. I am determined to come under $200 a ticket. Southwest is killing me that they have their dates out until the 1st of November. It is just missing the dates I want to go. I am somewhat flexible with the dates but I don't want to be there for Halloween. We were in Disney last year and went to an awesome festival. We had a great time but I want Gabrian to do regular trick-or-treating this year.

I want to book the hotel but I really want to have the airline tickets set first so I have definite dates. Southwest says there new dates won't come out until May 6th. I am not sure if I can wait that long. It will be getting awfully close to the 180 day mark for reservations and I am not sure I want to cut it that close. I have to do tons of research to find out which reservations I want to have and wouldn't want to have make definite decisions in such a short span of time.

I had almost talked myself into driving again so that way I could go down whenever but then I talked myself off of that ledge. With just Gabrian and myself going it actually should be cheaper to fly. If Riley was coming it would be a whole different ball field. After I added in the extra meals, tolls, gas, and hotels each way it just ends up being too much money.

Oh well...eventually things will fall into place.

Last edited by Riles_and_Gabe; 03-13-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #26
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Super Duper Exciting News

We Have airline Tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so beyond excited. I have been stalking all the sites and found some great tickets on Southwest. We are leaving from Providence on Saturday October 19th at 8:15 and will arrive at 12:55. We will be there until Thursday October 24th and leave at 7:10 and arrive at 9:40 back in Providence.

My plan is to drive to RI on Friday night and stay at a cheap hotel near the airport. Then we will get up early and head over to the airport. When we get home it will be early enough for me to drive home

I am so happy to have definite dates. Now I will start researching the hotels to decide where we want to stay. Does anyone know if I book now and a discount comes out afterward, if I am able to get the discount? I would hate to miss out on a discount.

I just updated my ticker to show the new dates Now the real planning comes in!!

219 Days until Vacation!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #27
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Oh I forgot to tell you the other good news. Gabrian went to the Doctor's today and he measured at 40.5". That means he is cleared to go on the rides...at least the ones he can handle!!!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
Oh I forgot to tell you the other good news. Gabrian went to the Doctor's today and he measured at 40.5". That means he is cleared to go on the rides...at least the ones he can handle!!!
Woo Hoo! Always great when they finally hit those landmark heights. My kids are short (got that honest), and I always hated when they couldn't make a ride while their (much) younger cousins could. We had a few silent over the years. So glad that's over.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
tink519
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! Looks like you arrive just after we leave. Congrats on booking your flights and on your son hitting the 40 inch mark. My DS is about 39 inches right now, keeping fingers crossed he grows that last inch. He has 6 months, he better!
May 2012: HHI ~ October 2013: OKW
2013 PTR: Looking for a creative title :)

2011 Trip Report: It's a Gluten Free World After All: March 2011! ~ Gluten Free Dining Review 2011
tink519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
Woo Hoo! Always great when they finally hit those landmark heights. My kids are short (got that honest), and I always hated when they couldn't make a ride while their (much) younger cousins could. We had a few silent over the years. So glad that's over.
I was so relieved because he is definitely my daredevil of the 2. I know that he will want to go on some of the more thrilling rides and I am glad I don't have to miss out on the rides...so basically it is all about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink519 View Post
Subscribing! Looks like you arrive just after we leave. Congrats on booking your flights and on your son hitting the 40 inch mark. My DS is about 39 inches right now, keeping fingers crossed he grows that last inch. He has 6 months, he better!
Fingers crossed he gets that extra inch!! Otherwise you will need to invest in shoes with a reall thick sole

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: