Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmom View Post
Thank you for the excellent resposes. We live in a high COL area so I am not at all put off by the prices.Thanks especially for warning me of the atmosphere at Flying Fish. Not at all what we would want for this trip. I think I am going to stick with our Turf Club and Ragland Road reservations as we are staying at SSR and these will be so easy to get to. I am, however very tempted by the description of Bluezoo...... Our trip is early April so California Grill is not an option. Too bad because that too would be easy to get to from our resort.
Back on topic, glad to hear you've made a decision to stick with the two reservations. Nothing wrong with either one, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves.
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer
 
fuzzlekins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
But honestly olive garden and red lobster may be good to you, but I can't make it through a dinner at either of those places without a trip to their restroom.
LOL! No, no, that was my point. If someone gives a seafood restaurant a great review but also thinks Red Lobster is top notch, then that kind of negates the review for me. The problem is that you have no idea what every reviewer's taste is like so it's a crap shoot most of the time. :\
__________________
11/4-11/12/10
2/4-2/11/12
2/1-2/9/13
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins

LOL! No, no, that was my point. If someone gives a seafood restaurant a great review but also thinks Red Lobster is top notch, then that kind of negates the review for me. The problem is that you have no idea what every reviewer's taste is like so it's a crap shoot most of the time. :\
Ohhh got it! Hahaha! Derrrrr
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #19
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran
 
Masonmj84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,255

It's hard to compare the signatures to chains outside the World because there are so few that make for a good comparison.

But just to provide my frame of reference as far as chain table service restaurants go . . .

To me, the low end (Level 1) are chains like Denny's, Friendly's, and Applebees. In my book, most fast food chains serve better food than these places. I'm also not a fan of Red Lobster.

Next up (Level 2) are chains like Chli's, Olive Garden, and Outback. To me, these are just okay.

Somewhat better (Level 3) are chains like P.F. Chang's, Macaroni Grill, and Texas Roadhouse. I generally enjoy these places and find the food to be good but not great.

Above these (Level 4) are places like Bonefish Grill, Hillstone Group Restuarants (Houston's etc.) and some of the Brazilian steakhouses (e.g., Fogo de Chao, Tejas de Brazil, etc.). I really enjoy these places and usually find the food to be quite good.

Yet above those (Level 5) are places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris. I rarely frequent those unless on an expense account (not enough bang for my buck relative to the next level down).

Now back to Disney . . .

To me, most of the dining plan signatures are at least as good, if not somewhat better, than Level 4. While I definately think some of these are better than others (and approach Level 5), to my palatte, there's not an enormous amont of difference between the best and worst of them.

In contrast, the non-signatures are all over the place. Some are closer to Level 1 while others approach Level 4. I will say that the best of these are a better deal than the average signature (either OOP or DDP). For example, I'd put Via Napoli at nearly Level 4 (by way of comparision, I'd put California Pizza Kitchen somewhere between Level 2 and 3 and Pizza Hut and Domino's closer to Level 1).
__________________
Masonmj84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #20
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well
 
bedogged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,641

I guess I am in the minority here, but I think that the quality of food at the Signature Restaurants is MUCH better than at the non signature restaurants. We always do Deluxe Dinning with a one point TS lunch and a Signature Restaurant at Dinner. I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I would not be willing to give up Signature meals for one point TS meals. Let's face it, regardless if it is CS, TS or Signature, ALL food sold at WDW is very expensive and IMHO not worth it! We put up with it because we are a captive audience and WDW knows it.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer
 
fuzzlekins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
It's hard to compare the signatures to chains outside the World because there are so few that make for a good comparison.

But just to provide my frame of reference as far as chain table service restaurants go . . .

To me, the low end (Level 1) are chains like Denny's, Friendly's, and Applebees. In my book, most fast food chains serve better food than these places. I'm also not a fan of Red Lobster.

Next up (Level 2) are chains like Chli's, Olive Garden, and Outback. To me, these are just okay.

Somewhat better (Level 3) are chains like P.F. Chang's, Macaroni Grill, and Texas Roadhouse. I generally enjoy these places and find the food to be good but not great.

Above these (Level 4) are places like Bonefish Grill, Hillstone Group Restuarants (Houston's etc.) and some of the Brazilian steakhouses (e.g., Fogo de Chao, Tejas de Brazil, etc.). I really enjoy these places and usually find the food to be quite good.

Yet above those (Level 5) are places like Morton's and Ruth's Chris. I rarely frequent those unless on an expense account (not enough bang for my buck relative to the next level down).

Now back to Disney . . .

To me, most of the dining plan signatures are at least as good, if not somewhat better, than Level 4. While I definately think some of these are better than others (and approach Level 5), to my palatte, there's not an enormous amont of difference between the best and worst of them.

In contrast, the non-signatures are all over the place. Some are closer to Level 1 while others approach Level 4. I will say that the best of these are a better deal than the average signature (either OOP or DDP). For example, I'd put Via Napoli at nearly Level 4 (by way of comparision, I'd put California Pizza Kitchen somewhere between Level 2 and 3 and Pizza Hut and Domino's closer to Level 1).
Nicely done and great info!
__________________
11/4-11/12/10
2/4-2/11/12
2/1-2/9/13
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?
 
tarheelmjfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
I guess I am in the minority here, but I think that the quality of food at the Signature Restaurants is MUCH better than at the non signature restaurants. We always do Deluxe Dinning with a one point TS lunch and a Signature Restaurant at Dinner. I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I would not be willing to give up Signature meals for one point TS meals. Let's face it, regardless if it is CS, TS or Signature, ALL food sold at WDW is very expensive and IMHO not worth it! We put up with it because we are a captive audience and WDW knows it.
I agree. We eat at non-signature restaurants for breakfast or lunch, but eat at signatures for dinner. The one exception is I booked BOG dinner for my birthday & I've 2nd guessed it ever since. I may still end up changing it. I wish it was TS for lunch. Anyway, enough rambling.

As far as whether or not the price difference between non-sigs & sigs is worth it, that is very subjective. For example, my sisters like typical chain restaurants. They're perfectly happy with the food quality at Chili's, Outback, etc. For them, the signature restaurants would be a waste of money. They thoroughly enjoy the non-signatures & wouldn't appreciate the difference in the quality. IMHO, it all comes down to what you're used to. Those who truly like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, etc. may find the non-signatures perfect for their taste & not see the value in sigs for the difference in price. The way they see it... why would they pay more, when they would have enjoyed a cheaper meal just as much? It makes perfect sense to me. Bottom line, I think someone who is used to higher quality food will notice more of a difference than someone who isn't.
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(USO)
(")_(")



Last edited by tarheelmjfan; 03-08-2013 at 03:39 PM.
tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well
 
bedogged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
I agree. We eat at non-signature restaurants for breakfast or lunch, but eat at signatures for dinner. The one exception is I booked BOG dinner for my birthday & I've 2nd guessed it ever since. I may still end up changing it. I wish it was TS for lunch. Anyway, enough rambling.
I had the same issue for our upcoming trip. What I did to solve it was to book the Brown Derby for lunch and then BOG for dinner.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
handinpocket
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,264

I prefer Raglan Road and Turf Club to any of the signatures. The signatures are into the smaller portions, presentation and strange flavor profiles. NOT worth my 2 credits.
handinpocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #25
VrBchJ
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 875

If you want to try Flying Fish they offer the Chef's Table several nights a week. It is a wonderful dining experience. You sit at the counter overlooking the kitchen so you can talk to the chefs as they work. Chef Tim will greet you and explain the menu he's planned for your dinner. The wine guy will explain the wine pairing. Even though the dining room is right behind you don't notice all the noise and movement. It's fun and the food is really good. At the end of the evening Chef Tim presents you with a special version of the menu as a keep sake.
VrBchJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer
 
fuzzlekins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by handinpocket View Post
The signatures are into the smaller portions, presentation and strange flavor profiles.
LOL! That's exactly what I'm hoping for when we try them.
__________________
11/4-11/12/10
2/4-2/11/12
2/1-2/9/13
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #27
jude&jonah
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 309

Same as the above poster! I go to signature restaurants FOR the smaller portions, presentation, and strange flavor combos
__________________
Erin

1995- Caribbean Beach / 1998 x2- Boardwalk & Fort Wilderness / 2002- Sheraton Vistana
2006- Sheraton Vistana / 2006 to 2007- Grand Floridian Cast Member /
2011- Coronado Springs / 2013 Caribbean Beach & Polynesian Split-Stay
Booked for March 2014 for 6 nights at Coronado Springs!
jude&jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #28
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran
 
mickeysbestfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,558

Our preferred dining

while at Disney is the regular TS. We can afford to eat anywhere we want but although I am adventerous when it comes to dining, my wife is a meat and potato person so to dine in fancy places is really a waste of money. She'd rather have a fried chicken dinner at 50's than the Chefs Table at V&A.

We have found regular TS places that satisfy both of our needs so that is the key thing to remember. If I get the need for something at the signature level I do it when out of town on business.

I have nothing against the Sig's but if you are just looking for a good meal that satisfies your hunger there are a lot of non Sig options to explore.
__________________


DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #29
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to
 
sleepydog25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Twixt here and there
Posts: 3,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude&jonah View Post
Same as the above poster! I go to signature restaurants FOR the smaller portions, presentation, and strange flavor combos
Yes, though I'd substitute "unique" or "unexpectedly delicious" for "strange."
__________________
Patrick "aka" Sleepydog, Sleepy, or Slydog
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery



sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran
 
MinnieLovesMickey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.
Posts: 2,098

I'm the oddball here because neither my husband nor myself would like or want to eat at any of the signatures except maybe Yachtsman.

My husband is a meat and Potatoes kind of guy and he likes plain, simple food.

I have looked over all the menus of the signatures and have found absolutely NOTHING that he or I either one would like.

I guess we are just simple folks.

I could afford to eat at signatures. I just wouldn't want to.

I don't mind paying $45 for a meal if it is something I would like to eat.
__________________
10/27-11/6/11 All Star Music Family Suite (QSDP) --Family trip 1/26-2/1/12 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista --Adults Only trip
4/16-4/21/12 Rosen Inn --Adults Only Trip 10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista -- Adults Only Trip 11/10-11/16/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Adults Only Trip
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.