Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
4 mickey
4 MICKEY

seasick how bad?

HI
I am not usually seasick when I cruise ( I take bonine starting 1 day or so ahead of my cruise and for duration of my cruise )
but I wonder how bad can you be seasick ..?? a few hours ..a day or so ..tell me not duration of cruise ..what do you take to prevent it ?? and if god forbit you are sick what is best to feel good fast ... my cruise is in 6 months and I am so dreaming of it want to prevent it or prepare for it
thanks
4 mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I took ginger pills prior to the cruise and wore bands the first night..I didn't even feel the slightest ill...My grandson gets car sick without his bands and he wore them the whole time and he was fine. I am not sure this helps you, but, do take the ginger pills..they are suppose to do the trick...

noahdove is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Kristen K
Earning My Ears

I do get a little bit sea sick, but not enough to keep me from cruising.

I will have a couple hour here and there that I need to sit or lay down. I've noticed that if I have a full tummy after dinner or I'm in the aft of the ship it's usually worse. Remy was a struggle for me because I got both of those things at once.

I've tried the pressure point bands on my wrists, but I didn't really like them. Net time I planned to give ginger pills a try, so I'm glad noahdove suggests them.
Kristen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

1st cruise I felt "off" the whole time, not all the way sea sick, but I felt all the movement of the boat!
2nd cruise (same ititiery) on the very last day we hit some rough seas and I got SOOO sick! I had to skip our last dinner, and couldn't raise me head up for more than 30 seconds. It was about the worst I have ever felt in my life! DH had to do all the final packing and I couldn't tell you if we had everything or not.
That cruise I tried taking the meds the day before and every night there after and felt great, but then I guess I figured I was ok and I stopped taking them about day 4 or 5. Guest services sent some meds to me to help, but by then I was so far gone the only thing it did was put me to sleep- which was fine by me at that point.
3rd cruise I went back to taking the Bonine starting the day before and didn't stop the whole 8 days aboard. I felt a little queasy from time to time, but never to the point that I couldn't stand it.
You asked how bad it can be? If we were not so close to our home port, I think I may have ended up getting flown off the ship.
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

I can not ride in the backseat of a car or go in ride simulators and I get seasick!!
I wore the Seabands on my wrist on the last cruise I went on and never felt sick!! even when others felt quesy the last night we were on the ship!! I will be wearing them again this trip!!!!
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

I recommend taking them the entire cruise. I stopped on our last cruise because I felt fine, but the last night I was in bed right after dinner because I was so sick. I will never make that mistake again!!

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
adamsclan
Mouseketeer

I struggle with sea sickness. How bad it is depends on where you are in the ocean and how high the waves. One cruise I did pretty well just with Bonine. The next cruise, I vomited every evening. Last cruise I used scopolamine patches and was not sick at all. UNTIL I got home and took off the patches and then I was dizzy for a solid week.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
pigletat100acres
Earning My Ears

We've cruised before, but this time we have an inside stateroom instead of an outside with verandh. Just wondering if anyone had any info if it's "worse" with inside stateroom. Thanks!
pigletat100acres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletat100acres View Post
We've cruised before, but this time we have an inside stateroom instead of an outside with verandh. Just wondering if anyone had any info if it's "worse" with inside stateroom. Thanks!
We generally don't get seasick, however, when we first boarded our first cruise, my DW felt a bit "off". And she said it was worst during the "welcome aboard" show in the theater, probably because we definitely felt the motion of the ship, but our eyes were telling us we were inside a building. She said that once she saw ocean, things got better.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

If the sickness is severe you can go to the medical clinic and get an anti-naseau shot which is said to be quite effective.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
4 mickey
4 MICKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
If the sickness is severe you can go to the medical clinic and get an anti-naseau shot which is said to be quite effective.
anybody received this ?? dont you get quite sleepy / drowsy with those ?? any feedback ?
thanks
4 mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletat100acres View Post
This article has some great advice regarding sea sickness. http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=48

I would definitely not get an inside cabin, if you are prone to motion sickness. You need to be able to see the horizon (not the waves) to level out your equilibrium. And fresh air helps too. I would recommend room with a window, mid ship. Forward or aft or with a high numbered deck, you will notice the motion more.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
maggie_sam
Mouseketeer

I did not know how I would react. I have had bouts with motion sickness in the past, and for our first cruise was concerned. I was the responsible adult for my 80+ yr old mother, daughter disabled with wheelchair and my then 7 yr old granddaughter. My doctor was very reluctant to prescribe the patch, as he had several of his patient have serious side-effects. Given that everyone traveling was dependent on me, he agreed, and I promised that I would not use unless I absolutely had to. What I discovered is that I have severe vertigo. I could not walk a step without holding on to something, and even then I had a hard time. The patch was literally a cruise saver, I could not have functioned and assume eventually the vertigo would have been accompanied by nausea/vomiting. With the patch I was able to function normally and had no side effects. The patch lasts for 72 hours, and since I was feeling fine put off changing, big mistake.

I wore the patch on our 2nd cruise with no side effects and felt fine. Recommend discussing with your health care provider to make the best choice. I couldn't cruise without it.

DisneyWorld 1972, Disneyland 1973, Disneyland 1980, Fort Wilderness 1986, DisneyWorld 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2004, Disney Wonder October 2010, Contemporary & Saratoga Springs 2010, Disney Magic September 2012, Bay Lake Tower September 2013, Disney Dream September 2013, Boardwalk Villas May 2014
maggie_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Tinkerkell007
Mouseketeer

Oh crap. Reading this thread is making me so nervous! I'm gonna go on my cruise armed to the teeth. I get motion sickness bad but I've never been more than a couple minutes from shore (thankfully).

I have a question, has anyone ever brought a fan onboard with them? DO they have fans available onboard? Having air circulating always helps to some point with me.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I can get car sick, air sick, sea sick (even feel not so great on the monorail sometimes). I was reluctant to cruise, but decided to try it and my doctor prescribed the patch for me (Bonine did nothing for me in Hawaii when I tried it). I was skeptical, and scared of the side effects, but it worked great and I felt fine. I know there's no way I'd feel like that without it.

DH uses ginger snaps and ginger candy and says it helps. I drank ginger ale at dinner and it did help that first night when it felt rough.

But there is no way I could cruise without the patch.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: