Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Kidani Village Questions!!!

My wife and I and our 1 year 4 month old son are planning a trip for this coming July or Aug for 1 week in a 1 bedroom. My mother-in-law is now joining us for the trip which we are both excited about, but is the reason we have to look for a 1 bedroom besides a studio. We need 2 bathrooms so our choices are limit with only BLT and AKV(Kidani), however we are looking at renting points and it seems like the BLT is booked solid. Can you guys help me answer some question about Kidani?!! I know this is a lot so please don't think you have to answer all my questions LOL!!

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Quick Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice?

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers?

4. Is the Savannah view really worth it and does it stink lol?!?

5. Is the bed in the 1 Bedroom a King or Queen?

6. Is there a place to refill your resort mug at Kidani?

7. What are your top 3 biggest PROs of Kidani?

8. What are your top 3 biggest CONs of Kidani?
Polynesian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Can you explain what you mean by intresting?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynesian27 View Post
My wife and I and our 1 year 4 month old son are planning a trip for this coming July or Aug for 1 week in a 1 bedroom. My mother-in-law is now joining us for the trip which we are both excited about, but is the reason we have to look for a 1 bedroom besides a studio. We need 2 bathrooms so our choices are limit with only BLT and AKV(Kidani), however we are looking at renting points and it seems like the BLT is booked solid. Can you guys help me answer some question about Kidani?!! I know this is a lot so please don't think you have to answer all my questions LOL!!

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Quick Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice?

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers?

1. We always drive, so yes, I feel like it's a long way to the parks, but not BAD.

2. I have never walked to the food court because I feel like it is too long of a walk, we have driven over a couple of times.

3. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Kidani kids spash zone. If I can find them real quick, I'll come back and post some pictures.

4. I like having a Savannah view room and if I thought this would be my only time staying at AKL I would spring for that view. We are staying there when school gets out this summer and only opted for a standard view. We don't spend a lot of time in our room, but with a child the age of yours, you may be back for naps, so being able to sit on the balcony while the baby sleeps would be nice in my opinion. I don't recall having any strong feelings about the smell. I'm sure there is a smell, but I don't remember it being a big deal....

5. Don't know.

6. Yes. At the gift shop.

7. (A) Parking garage, (B)

8. (A) no food (except by the pool), (b) all the "big" activities are at Jambo House - night vision goggles, etc. (c)

Can't get to my pictures here at the office but here's a link to lots of pictures - hope it lets me post it! http://allears.net/acc/g_kidani.htm This is for a bunch of pictures of the resort.

Here are the specific ones for the splash area:

http://allears.net/acc/kidani/kida09a73.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/kidani/kida09a75.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/kidani/kida09a79.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/kidani/kida09a80.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/kidani/kida09c17.jpg

Last edited by JKMJ441724; 03-05-2013 at 01:55 PM.
JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much, the pictures of the splash zone would be great!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Thanks so much, the pictures of the splash zone would be great!
I edited my post to add some links for pictures.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Polynesian27
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much, it is very helpful!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

Yes, we feel that the savannah view room is worth it. There is no noticeable stink whatsoever. I think the walk from Kidani to AKL is about 10 minutes; it's not a "nice" walk imo, but it's okay. When we stayed at Kidani this January there was a shuttle van running from Kidani to Jambo and back; we took it to eat at Boma, but I don't know if it is running all the time or not. When we have used Disney transportation we have never noticed the ride to any of the parks as being terribly long. We have stayed at both Kidani and Jambo, and for our young children, we prefer the Kidani pool area because of the splash play area. If I remember correctly, the bed in the 1 bedroom is a king? Pretty sure. Biggest PROs: the animals and theming, the 2 bathrooms instead of 1, parking under the building (we always have a vehicle, but I appreciate that may not be a big deal to others). Biggest CONs: lobby is on a less grand scale than Jambo, the store is pretty small (but we're shopping all day, so not that big a deal), and that's really it for us for cons.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

To answer #5, the 1-bedroom has a King bed in the master. The master bath is HUGE and the 2nd bathroom is a nice size! Washer/Dryer is very nice also!

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
Sammie
DIS Veteran

The walk is not horrible but far enough to be inconvenient especially if the weather is not nice, you have to go outside and through the parking lot, so is the walk nice, not really.

There is a shuttle that runs back and forth but again not very convenient.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
the park buses stop first at kidani and then at jambo house (AKL), so that means kidani guests have first crack at the seats and get back to their rooms first.

and those park buses would also function as a shuttle to AKL if you want to use them that way.

OTOH, DTD buses stop first at AKL and then at kidani...so use them for the trip back if needed.

other than the stop at AKL, park buses go directly to the parks (i think AK buses may also hit blizzard beach or something). but MK does feel like it's a long way away...it's just a trade-off.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
nelsonkg
Mouseketeer

The look on our two yr olds face every time he looked out and saw those amazing creatures Priceless I would book Savana
The pool is great zero entry is a huge plus for a toddler!
I have to admit lack of counter service combined with the remoteness of the resort was a drag with young children. I would suggest getting grocery delivery from GG to help with this and I would rent a car. I did not find using Jambo a realistic option with a young child.
Pluses: The animals, restaurants and staff all wonderful. It's a beautiful exotic place
Minuses:LACK of counter service and small store, remote local (unless you like that) and I really missed having nice walking paths/areas that exist at most other resorts.
nelsonkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
stormer
DIS Veteran

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....I don't know what everyone complains about. We always drive and it is just a few extra minutes in the car. No big deal.

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Quick Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice? We usually take the shuttle. There is a van that just goes back and forth between the two buildings all day. It holds about ten people. We never waited more than a few minutes for it.

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers? Kidani has a splash area that is perfect ofr little kids. He will love it.

We got a savannah view once. It was absolutely amazing. Breakfast on the balcony watching the giraffes was great. I wish we could do it everytime, but we don't have that many points so we usually get standard view. We spend a lot of time down by the lobby where you can just sit and watch the animals.

5. Is the bed in the 1 Bedroom a King or Queen? King

6. Is there a place to refill your resort mug at Kidani? We don't get the mugs, but I think you can fill it at the pool.

Love the animals, the pool, and the extra bedroom.

8. What are your top 3 biggest CONs of Kidani? Haven't found any yet
October 1994 Port Orleans / October 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / October 1999 Off site / October 2004 Contemporary Resort / October 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / August 2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ October 2008 Old Key West / February 2009 Polynesian Resort / August 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / August 2010 Bay Lake Tower / February 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / August 2011 Boardwalk Villas / August 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ February 2013 Coronado Springs / August 2013 Boardwalk Villas / February 2014 Coronado Springs
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polynesian27

I for one love the Animal Kingdom Lodge!! We have stayed at Jambo house in the past and will stay atnKidani village for the first time in June! Very excited!!!

1. The bus ride to and from the parks is not bad at all. No more then 20 minutes tops. The longest ride is probably to downtown Disney. The the bright side, Kidani is the first pick up and drop. So you are likely to alway get a seat on the bus.

2. Mara is located in Jambo house and is a short. 5 minute walk. There is also an internal shuttle that takes you between the two. You can also hop on any bus at Kidani as it will take you to Kidani.

3. You can use both pools, but I think the splash area at Kidani will he a huge hit for you little one!!

4. Definitely worth the view!!! Words can't describe the feeling of sitting on your balcony and seeing the animals. I loved drinking my coffee on the balcony in the morning and just watching the animals roam. This year in an effort to save some cash we opted for a standard view. And now I'm wishing I booked the savannah view, but oh we'll there are plenty of viewing areas around the resort.

5. Think the bed is a king.

6. Yes you can refill your mugs in Johari treasures gift shop. There is a refill station there.

7. Can't answer b/c I haven't stayed there yet

8. Can't answer this one either.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

Quote:

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....We didn't really think the distance was that bad except it seemed like Magic Kingdom took about 25 minutes but all in all, it was not a big deal. Kidani picks up first for all the parks, but Jambo is first for Downtown Disney. It was nice always having a seat on the bus

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Quick Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice? It takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to Jambo House. I would just hop the first park bus and get off at Jambo House. That is what we did when we stayed at Kidani in September.

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers? My son was 20 months old and he loved the splash areas, the playground and the pool at Kidani. There is a little slide (3ft long maybe?) in the main pool that he loved to go down. I would help him go down at the top and Dh would catch him before he hit the water. Mason did it about a million times during our stay LOL!

We got the standard view because there are so many places to view the animals around the resort. Kidani also has the night vision goggles to view animals in the evening, which the older kids and myself though was cool.
5. Is the bed in the 1 Bedroom a King or Queen? King! It was great. I missed that bed after I came home to my little queen LOL!

6. Is there a place to refill your resort mug at Kidani? Yep! You can refill it in the gift shop.

7. What are your top 3 biggest PROs of Kidani? Nice, new feeling rooms, great pool area and love the extra bathroom!

Feels further from the parks than other resorts(this is kind of a pro for me though, it felt like 2 vacations in 1), no "true" QS at Kidani, and umm...there isn't anything else. We loved it there and we will definitely be buying at Kidani (we rent points for now) when I get out of nursing school.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I didn't find the bus ride long, unless you are comparing it to being on the monorail line.

It is about a 5 minutes walk to Jambo. I actually walked thru Kidani till the end, then exited for the remainder to Jambo to stay in the A/C.

My son was just turning 6 months old when we went last spring, and I preferred the Kidani pool. We did go to Jambo for one afternoon to eat at Mara, check out Jambo and use the pool there. I found it much more crowded even though it was larger. I did enjoy spending an afternoon there, but otherwise was happy being at Kidani.

I didn't want to pay the extra for the Savannah view because we were also planning a trip to the Beach Club six months later. If you have the extra money it's of course a special treat. My son was really so young he didn't care, I'd rather save that for when he is a little older. You can easily see the animals in Kidani in the viewing areas.

Don't know, stayed in a studio.
Yes, right in the gift shop. I luckily had requested a room not far from the lobby, so it was an easy trip for a refill.

A few other things, I ordered some breakfast food, snacks and babyfood (he had just started eating) from gardengrocer. I did NOT miss not having a counter service at all, we had most meals planned for and it was fine having some food available in the room otherwise. I also ordered in room service from Sanaa one evening, as well as ate in their lounge one evening with my son sleeping in his stroller. It was not loud for him, and he slept just fine. I didn't have to worry about being in the restaurant with the stroller, and found it nice to just hang out on the sofa having a bite to eat and a glass of wine.

That might also be a nice option one evening if your mil watches your son while he sleeps and you and your wife run down to the lounge. No reservations necessary, so the timing is flexible depending on when your baby goes to sleep/needs feeding.

They had a bonfire or whatever it is called outside which was nice in the evening.

One evening we watched a movie by the pool at Kidani. It was actually my favorite evening, my son had never seen a movie and just seemed to like watching the screen and it was relaxing and sweet to just lie on the loungers with him. Another family had brought food and was having a late dinner at a table next to the loungers watching the movie.

I personally did not find the walk long at all. I live in NYC and am used to walking. Same when I have stayed in a DTD hotel, I don't find the walk to DTD long at all, but others would never consider walking that distance. If you drive anywhere and everywhere and are not used to walking, you may find it far.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: