Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #31
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
I thought I didn't care what anyone other than my family and I wore to formal night or any other dinner...then, last week, I saw a shorts, baseball cap with sunglasses on brim and t-shirt with crocs ensemble heading into formal night.
That's when I realized that I'm not as "forgiving" as I thought I was.

(1) no wearing of crocs, anywhere, ever;
(2) I know I'm old and maybe now I just figured out that I'm old-fashioned but I wouldn't dress like that to go to Applebee's on a Tuesday.

It really kind of seemed like it was done purposely to offend.

Yes, I know, I need therapy
I too am pretty lax and decide I was just too tired to change out of my black, knee length shorts on Pirate night and really didn't feel out of place, especially since our tablemates also had shorts on.

But on Christmas night, which was (I think) semi-formal night, I wasn't happy when the entire table next to us was dressed in basketball shorts and shirts, and acting like they were in basketball clothing - shouting, jumping up and down, leaving the dining room and coming back to talk to their parents. Parents (at least the mother) was in 'proper' attire of jeans and a shirt, but looked very sloppy, like she was headed to play basketball too. It was Christmas. I thought they could have tried a little harder. But they got to eat, I got to eat, and it really wasn't the end of the world.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
lgcountry
Mouseketeer

Formal night adventures

On previous cruises, we have done the full formal route just for the family pictures. My husband has a tux, and we rented one for our son on the ship. We got lots of pictures taken and picked the best, and these pictures became gifts for family and close friends, as well as displayed in our home.

We had our adventures with the rentals though. One cruise they gave my 5 year old son adult size 8 shoes instead of child 8, even though it was a mini size tux! My son wore his black tennis shoes instead to the envy of more than one man in uncomfortable dress shoes. One cruise we had to quickly hem sleeves and pants so he didn't look like he shrunk. The last time we attempted a rental, we forgot black socks, so he wore white socks with my black nylon knee highs over them.

We had so many compliments on our son in his tux, and the pictures are priceless.

It wasn't always easy, but it was worth it. We don't go quite to that extent anymore, but I'm glad we did it a few times.
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #33
disney honeymooners
Disneyholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibes View Post
yes, he will be fine there will be plenty of men wearing khakis and polo's.
thank you sooo much!!!

disney honeymooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johmapri View Post
You don't want to wear shorts and sandals, but as long as you dress up you will blend right in. Nothing fancy needed.
I agree. You do not have to wear a ball gown if you do not want to, but please do not wear, sandals, shorts, jeans or tank tops, that is the complete opposite of formal. It amazes me to see people in shorts, sandals and tshirts on formal night. I know some people are all about comfort especially on vacation, but their are nice comfy things that would look way better than shorts in a formal event.

[

disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
Queen2
Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
It might if it turned out she was your table-mate, and you had to look at them all through dinner!

Sayhello
That is funny
Wonderful Memories April 2005 Disney Magical Birthday Cruise April 22- 29, 2006, Disney Christmas Cruise Dec 15-22, 2007 Disney Magic Eastern Tortola, April 25, 2009[SIZE="1"] Disney Fanasty Easteren Sept 21-28 2013

Queen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Quote:
Originally Posted by labela View Post
I guess my idea of Formal and Semi-Formal are almost the same. I would take black dress pants and a sparkly sweater/blouse and still be comfortable.
This is exactly what I wear to formal and semi-formal nights. It's comfortable, looks nice, and I'm not using precious luggage space for a dress and heels that I'd only wear for a few hours on the cruise!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #37
cpc430
Mouseketeer

When we talk about no sandals on formal night, do you primarily mean the rubber flip flop kind? I have some heel sandals that have a flip flop like front (thong) but they are white, leather. Would that not be appropriate on formal night? I'm not even sure what I'm wearing yet but those or my only white shoes! Now I am curious.

Last edited by cpc430; 04-25-2013 at 05:11 PM.
cpc430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #38
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc430 View Post
When we talk about no sandals on formal night, do you primarily mean the rubber flip flop kind? I have some heel sandals that have a flip flop like front (thong) but they are white, leather. Would that not be appropriate on formal night? I'm not even sure what I'm wearing yet but those or my only white shoes! Now I am curious.
Leather sandals are great. You'll see a lot of them onboard, even at Palo and Remy.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #39
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
(1) no wearing of crocs, anywhere, ever.
Agreed!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #40
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

OP here - just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I've decided to just go with a knee length dressy dress with strappy sandals. I want to respect the dress code, but don't want to spend money on a dress I'll never wear again.
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
SapphireMind
Mouseketeer

Bah, I wear crocs and it's hard to get my DD out of hers. I rarely do "pretty" shoes. I wear danskos for work (they start out pretty, but after a while get beat up). I have a hard time wearing anything but danskos for any length of time anymore. But my crocs are definitely my slipper shoes.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #42
wwwosie
Mom by Day - Disney Freak by Night

I just looked at our cruise documents, on page 4, under vacation checklist, it mentions attire. I don't dress up if I can help it, but on formal night, I do, if anything else so I can get some great pictures with the family!
wwwosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I just ordered my formal night Crocs. Laugh all you want, I will be comfy http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Sanrah-...keywords=crocs
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #44
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I just ordered my formal night Crocs. Laugh all you want, I will be comfy http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Sanrah-...keywords=crocs
I have 3 pairs of crocs dressy shoes - 1 pair is purple and plain (crocs grace), 1 pair is red velour on the outside (snazzy - they are crocs Alice) and 1 pair is dark beige with brown trim and a bow (I don't know what their name is but they have a small heel/lift on them).

I used to love wearing just regular crocs but then I found these at big lots for $10 (and the red ones at Goodwill for $5) and now I love these other styles.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #45
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
As much as I love going all out for Formal Night, shoes are not part of it, both for luggage issues and comfort issues. I pack the folding slippers that come in a pouch for all dress-up stuff onboard. Last year DH forgot his dress shoes and wore Birkenstocks every night, even with his tux. No one ever looks at feet. :D
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: