Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
I saw a shorts, baseball cap with sunglasses on brim and t-shirt with crocs .... Yes, I know, I need therapy
OK, I am not that OLD unless you ask my teenager. I was raised... you always wear a shirt when eating anything... You do not wear shorts to dinner (for some reason breakfast and lunch is OK)... and you take your hat off when you enter the dinning room.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
smootenloopers
Works to Support Cruise Habit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Maybe because it was brunch and not dinner? It's less formal but we still wore "country club" type clothes.
Palo brunch is cruise casual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo View Post
(1) no wearing of crocs, anywhere, ever;
Crocs are one ofd the ugliest shoes out there; however, I'm willing to live with that since they provided a significant decrease in my back & knee pain levels. A fashion plate I'm not, but I'm definately less cranky!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
Queen2
Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootenloopers View Post
Palo brunch is cruise casual.

Crocs are one ofd the ugliest shoes out there; however, I'm willing to live with that since they provided a significant decrease in my back & knee pain levels. A fashion plate I'm not, but I'm definately less cranky!

I love my crocs, yes ugly but comfortable. Every time I go on a cruise my feet swell three times there normal size. One cruise they were so bad I had to wear my son's size 11 Miami Dolphins slippers. It was Formal night I had on a gown & slippers. I didn't care what people thought . It was either that or sit in the cabin. So like PP I try not to judge. I was on a Disney Cruise on FN & the lady entering before me had on bib jean overalls, & her breast almost hanging out of her too small low cut shirt.
Didn't keep me from eating my dinner
Wonderful Memories April 2005 Disney Magical Birthday Cruise April 22- 29, 2006, Disney Christmas Cruise Dec 15-22, 2007 Disney Magic Eastern Tortola, April 25, 2009[SIZE="1"] Disney Fanasty Easteren Sept 21-28 2013

Queen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #19
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

Is there a formal night on the 4 night cruise or is it only on the longer cruises?

As a first time cruiser, how would one know about this if they weren't reading forums and researching?

ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #20
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddlm View Post
I too am stressing over formal night for our fantasy cruise in 17 days. Even considering not doing mdr that night but depending on rotation, dont want to miss anything. Will bring a cocktail style dress and dressy palazzo style pants and decide when there I guess.
What you describe is fine for formal night...don't stress about it. Go to the MDR.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2 View Post
I love my crocs, yes ugly but comfortable. Every time I go on a cruise my feet swell three times there normal size. One cruise they were so bad I had to wear my son's size 11 Miami Dolphins slippers. It was Formal night I had on a gown & slippers. I didn't care what people thought . It was either that or sit in the cabin. So like PP I try not to judge. I was on a Disney Cruise on FN & the lady entering before me had on bib jean overalls, & her breast almost hanging out of her too small low cut shirt.
Didn't keep me from eating my dinner
It might if it turned out she was your table-mate, and you had to look at them all through dinner!

Sayhello
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgardner View Post
Is there a formal night on the 4 night cruise or is it only on the longer cruises?

As a first time cruiser, how would one know about this if they weren't reading forums and researching?
I would assume they would look at the DCL website for information. And there they would find this:

"On 3-night cruises:
One cruise casual night—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:
First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
Final night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:
First night: cruise casual—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit."

As well as info about Palo and Remy and their codes.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
labela
Earning My Ears

I guess my idea of Formal and Semi-Formal are almost the same. We are booked on the 7 Night Eastern on the Fantasy later this year. I'm planning on taking two nice dresses, not ball gowns, but dresses I would wear to a nice wedding. If for some reason the dresses do not fit, I would take black dress pants and a sparkly sweater/blouse and still be comfortable.

As for the cruise casual nights, I plan on wearing capris with a nice shirt (not the t-shirt I wore all day) and sandals. They are thong sandals but not flip flops I would wear to the pool.

Don't stress but also try not to wear shorts, t-shirts and pool type flip flops to dinner. It is very nice when everyone at your table is dressed appropriately. Not over the top, just appropriately.
labela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
ajgardner
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=Dug720;48199689]I would assume they would look at the DCL website for information. And there they would find this:

I meant for people such as my husband who would book the cruise and do nothing else until the day he walked on board - he would have no inclination to look anything like that up on the website, he wouldn't even realize there would be a reason to look. As obsessive as I am with planning, he is the opposite. I was more wondering if a packet is sent out at some point with information such as this in it? It's not something I would necessarily need due to all the wonderful information I get here, but those that don't actively research may. I just feel bad for the people who show up with only shorts because they didn't realize it was supposed to be no shorts in the MDR or for those caught off guard by the tips at the end of the cruise. I was just being curious is all...

ajgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

There are some really cute knee length dresses out there that don't have to be formals.

BUT if you want to diverge into the realm of a nice formal, don't forget about your neighborhood thrift shop. You don't have to pay a lot, and it's as I call it, the "David's Bridal graveyard"...

We also get some nice deals at a bargain liquidators place that includes unsold formals.

Just putting the ideas out there...
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
disney honeymooners
Disneyholic

Now i am thinking of not skipping the MDR on Formal night i have a nice dress (not ball gown) the is knee length the only problem would be mu husband he tends to wear Khaki pants and a different polo shirt every night of our cruise do you think that would be ok?

disney honeymooners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=ajgardner;48201382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I would assume they would look at the DCL website for information. And there they would find this:

I meant for people such as my husband who would book the cruise and do nothing else until the day he walked on board - he would have no inclination to look anything like that up on the website, he wouldn't even realize there would be a reason to look. As obsessive as I am with planning, he is the opposite. I was more wondering if a packet is sent out at some point with information such as this in it? It's not something I would necessarily need due to all the wonderful information I get here, but those that don't actively research may. I just feel bad for the people who show up with only shorts because they didn't realize it was supposed to be no shorts in the MDR or for those caught off guard by the tips at the end of the cruise. I was just being curious is all...
In the cruise documents you receive about 30 days out (with luggage tags) there is a page that deals with the gratuities (how much and who gets them). But there's nothing there about formal nights.

I guess, when traveling, it's on the traveler to find out all he needs to know to be comfortable with his trip.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
hibes
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney honeymooners View Post
Now i am thinking of not skipping the MDR on Formal night i have a nice dress (not ball gown) the is knee length the only problem would be mu husband he tends to wear Khaki pants and a different polo shirt every night of our cruise do you think that would be ok?
Yes, he will be fine there will be plenty of men wearing khakis and polo's.
hibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #29
johmapri
Earning My Ears

You don't want to wear shorts and sandals, but as long as you dress up you will blend right in. Nothing fancy needed.
johmapri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #30
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I wore jeans and a fleece every night except formal. On formal I wore khakis and a button shirt. I did not feel out of place at all. Its a Disney ship not Cunard.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: