Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Is Formal Night Optional?

This is our first 7 night cruise, and I'm just wondering if everyone participates in formal night? I'm a jeans/yoga pants and sweatshirt kinda girl, and I'm not big on dressing up or having to buy a dress that I'll never wear again. I have a few above the knee dresses that I've worn to Christmas parties and such - will that be okay? Or will I be out of place? I know we could always go somewhere else for dinner or get room service, but I love the MDR's and would hate to miss a night. Thanks for your help!
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

I have often worn above the knee dresses for formal night. You should be fine!

Birthday Celebration on the Dream!
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribbeandreaming View Post
This is our first 7 night cruise, and I'm just wondering if everyone participates in formal night? I'm a jeans/yoga pants and sweatshirt kinda girl, and I'm not big on dressing up or having to buy a dress that I'll never wear again. I have a few above the knee dresses that I've worn to Christmas parties and such - will that be okay? Or will I be out of place? I know we could always go somewhere else for dinner or get room service, but I love the MDR's and would hate to miss a night. Thanks for your help!
For formal night I've gone the full blown ball gown route (with and without tiara). And I've also worn a nice pair of slacks with a fancy top. DCL is pretty forgiving in the dress code area (to the dismay of many on these boards).

You'll find there are some who will "dress as I like, it's my vacation". Yes, that means there will be shorts and tshirts for formal night, as well as those who dress up with their fanciest.

You'll be fine with what you've mentioned.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
tajz90
Mama D

I have a pair of black pants and a cute "dressy" top that I wear. I never wear dresses in my normal life and feel highly uncomfortable wearing one. No way that I will buy one for a cruise so I can feel horrid

Good luck. Remember "dressy" is subjective. Have fun!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Yes formal night is optional, it's your vacation and you won't be out of place with what you mentioned you would wear. On formal nights people dress from cruise casual to formal gowns.

On our last cruise, one couple at our table was a mix, he was cruise casual, she was dressed in a formal.

I go middle of the road with a cocktail dress or simple sundress.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Yep! Wear what you like! I've never seen anyone turned away from a restaurant due to what they're wearing (even Palo) and you'll see everything from jeans to tuxes on formal night. Some people may mutter but I say who cares?!? You'll never see them again and you're paying just like they are!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Yep! Wear what you like! I've never seen anyone turned away from a restaurant due to what they're wearing (even Palo) and you'll see everything from jeans to tuxes on formal night. Some people may mutter but I say who cares?!? You'll never see them again and you're paying just like they are!
Unlike the MDRs, Palo and Remy do turn people away when dressed inappropriately.

Yes, I've seen it happen at Palo. Flip-flops, shorts, tshirt - all a big NO in Palo.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

You are going to get lots of different answers on this topic. I will just tell you, on our last Disney Cruise we had a table of 5 single adults with a single child. On the formal night a grandma and her 14 year old grandson did not realize it was formal night. They showed up, grandma in a pantsuit and grandson in blue jeans and polo shirt. It was half way through dinner before they realized it was formal night. At our table there were one mom in a formal dress and two moms in knee length dresses.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
tajz90
Mama D

I saw a gentleman in khakis and a short sleeve Hawaiian type shirt in Palo. Now, I don't know his story and he may have lost his luggage, but he certainly wasn't dressed as well as I thought you were required to.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Unlike the MDRs, Palo and Remy do turn people away when dressed inappropriately.

Yes, I've seen it happen at Palo. Flip-flops, shorts, tshirt - all a big NO in Palo.
Wow!!!! We had brunch there on our last cruise (two weeks ago) and there was a woman wearing capris, flip flops, and a t-shirt. (this proves my point that people may notice what you're wearing but it's really no big deal! )

Maybe because it was brunch and not dinner? It's less formal but we still wore "country club" type clothes.

*Note to self - don't go to Palo for dinner!!*

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Wow!!!! We had brunch there on our last cruise (two weeks ago) and there was a woman wearing capris, flip flops, and a t-shirt. (this proves my point that people may notice what you're wearing but it's really no big deal! )

Maybe because it was brunch and not dinner? It's less formal but we still wore "country club" type clothes.

*Note to self - don't go to Palo for dinner!!*
Yes, brunch at Palo is far less strict than dinner. Although a T-shirt & flip-flops still sound a bit casual even for brunch!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
ajjcarlin
Earning My Ears

I am just like you...t shirt and jeans. I have been nervous about the formal night because I am not a dress up kinda person. I do have a black knee length dress that I will probably wear, but I'm not going out and spending money on fancy clothes I rather spend on a massage or something.
ajjcarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive

On my first cruise to Alaska last year, I wore nice dress slacks and a dressy top, and my husband wore nice tan pants & a dark short sleeved dress shirt & tie. That's about as dressy as we get, and we did not feel out of place.

I know it's controversial, but I don't feel it is right to judge people for what they wear on the cruise, as I don't know all the factors or circumstances in that persons life that led to their decision. I enjoyed looking at some families really dressy clothes, but it did not bother me one bit to see others dressed in their casuals - as everyone seemed to be having a great time and that was all that mattered!

I think the dresses you have will be fine!

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

I need to get a grip...

I thought I didn't care what anyone other than my family and I wore to formal night or any other dinner...then, last week, I saw a shorts, baseball cap with sunglasses on brim and t-shirt with crocs ensemble heading into formal night.
That's when I realized that I'm not as "forgiving" as I thought I was.

(1) no wearing of crocs, anywhere, ever;
(2) I know I'm old and maybe now I just figured out that I'm old-fashioned but I wouldn't dress like that to go to Applebee's on a Tuesday.

It really kind of seemed like it was done purposely to offend.

Yes, I know, I need therapy
GoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #15
kddlm
Mouseketeer

I too am stressing over formal night for our fantasy cruise in 17 days. Even considering not doing mdr that night but depending on rotation, dont want to miss anything. Will bring a cocktail style dress and dressy palazzo style pants and decide when there I guess.
VBR/OKW (April 2009/
Spring Break Trip-OKW/VBR (2010)
September 2010 - OKW
April/May 2012 - BWV
DCL-Fantasy March 2013
kddlm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: