Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #31
rani8600
Mouseketeer

It was right after this that I started to really feel a pinching pain in my right hip. It started around the 10k split but wasnt too bad and I was able to put it in the back of my mind. This is something I have experienced before on some longer runs and I knew it wasnt going to go away. Just before mile 8 it became really bad. The pain feels like each time you put weight on the right side someone jams a big needle into the hip joint...not fun.

I took a long walk break hoping that I would be able to move into 1m/1m intervals for the remainder of the course. After my first few attempts at run intervals I knew that wasnt going to be a possibility. I had to switch to walking and walking fast. As I now had to reevaluate my goals for this race I made a new plan. For my own sanity and ode to the work that I put in for this I wasnt going to let myself fall behind pace. I was going to complete the remaining miles with each mile in the 16 minute per pace. In my head this became crazily important.

My GPS watch became even more important to me as it allowed me to be able to watch my pace closely and make sure I didnt fall behind. My walking pace varied between 14:30 and 15:45 minute miles. Im not sure what people would make of the expression i was most like wearing on my face at this point. I would like to think it was one of sheer determination, but it was more like a painful grimic. I was doing my best to put the pain out of my mind though, i had a job to do.

It was around this time where I thought running with my Ipod might have been a little bit helpful. The entertainment and characters were a lot more stretched out. A little background on my internal debate on whether or not I was going to run with music. This is something that I thought a lot about in the weeks leading up to the race. I had always had my Ipod with me on my training runs, however, I wasnt sure that I would be able to take it with my for the half as I wasnt sure how I was going to carry it. In the past I have tried to run with a running belt to carry some of my things, but I couldnt seem to keep them from slipping up and bouncing around my waist. They ended up being a hindrance rather than helpful. This wasnt an issue for my training runs as I wasnt carrying that much with me, but for this race I would need my phone and clif blocks. My skirt has no pockets so I had to tuck my phone on one side and fuel on the other. I figured trying to manage my Ipod too would be too much. I dont think it hurt in any way to not have it and I was by no means bored, but the music might have been nice for those few miles.

Just after crossing out of the MK resort area was the mile 9 marker. There was a nice volunteer there who was offering to take picture for people.

Just after mile 9 I came across Atta. Her line was only three people, even though I knew that I needed to keep moving to not fall behind I wanted one more character shot after all these pictures were one of the main motivating factors behind running this thing.

Just before the on ramp was the mile 10 marker.

Now about that onramp... OMG that is the longest onramp I have ever seen. It just kept going and going, I thought it was never going to end. I was walking on the inside of the ramp on the grass. I know that people tell you not to walk on the grass, but I was being careful and it was necessary for two reasons. One, it was ever so slightly less painful to walk on the grass as it wasnt so hard and two, even though I was walking I was passing people and there just wasnt enough room to go around people on the road. Near the top for the ramp were the army men from Toy Story. They were encouraging us to run faster.

We finally finished with the ramp that just wont end and found mile marker 11

At this point I was starting to feel ok, I was still in a lot of pain, but I knew now that I was going to finish this and finish in within my 3:30 time.

About half way through mile 11 the DJs and race announcers were there cheering people on. A little further on another DJ planning music trying to give us that last bit of energy and excitement we needed to finish this. She was playing some Bon Jovi, Livin On A Prayer. A bunch of us had found some energy and were singing along. The DJ just shook her head and commented that that was probably the only 80s song that all of us 20 somethings knew...well she isnt wrong :shrug:

There were also some last characters, Mulan and Mrs. Incredible. It was great Mrs. Incredible was just finishing her set and ran with us as she made her way to the trailer...in heels

Soon after I could see mile marker 12

You can see just over the clock Spaceship Earth. This was, it we were finally going to go through Epcot and the finish, just one more mile to go. Im not gonna to lie, I started to get a little emotional at this point. I had been thinking about it and training for it for so long and now it was here.

We went passed the ball on the right side and towards the World Showcase. I felt really bad for Pinocchio as he wasnt getting any love. I think everyone just wanted to be finished by this point. Right after the fountain was the Fairy Godmother. She had a little bit of a line, but nowhere near as bad as it would have been had she been any sooner on the course. I passed on both as I too just wanted to be done. Just at the entrance to WS we turned back to make our way out of Epcot and to the Finish line.

I saw my mom and sister for the last time on the course. There werent that many people in Epcot so they were easy to spot. I guess most people go straight to the finish.

Just as we were out of Epcot I could hear the Gospel Choir, then I could see them. I couldnt believe it, we were almost there. I didnt get a picture of the 13th mile marker as I was pulling myself together. I was determined. I was going to run that last bit through the finish no matter what. And I did, I ran through. It felt so strange.

Just after I crossed the line it hit me, I did it...I completed a half marathon. If you would have told me a year before that I would be standing there having done it I would have laughed and told you never gonna happen, yet here I was.

There were tears in my eyes as I found a volunteer and received my medal.

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports

Last edited by rani8600; 03-12-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #32
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on finishing!! It takes a lot to keep up the determination to continue on even with such pain. Great job.

I've never thought of NOT running with music, but when I read race reports here I sort of wish I had in the HMs, because it sounds like a good portion of excitement is found in the music and sounds from other runners. I missed out on that.

That being said, have you ever considered an arm band? They hold quite snugly on your upper arm, so you don't even have to think about it. I run with that and a little wrist wrap (like this: http://www.goneforarun.com/Lite_Wris...cket_s/854.htm) to hold anything else. I used to run with a running belt, but it started to bother me for the reasons you described. The wrist wrap is much more comfortable.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
joanzie72
Mouseketeer

Congratulations!!!! I can't wait till February. It will be my first Dinsey race. I remember running my first 1/2. It was very emotional. Shoot some of my training runs were emotional too. Funny how running can feel so good but yet make you cry or get down right mad.
The comical DS (6)

Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #34
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
Congratulations on finishing!! It takes a lot to keep up the determination to continue on even with such pain. Great job.

I've never thought of NOT running with music, but when I read race reports here I sort of wish I had in the HMs, because it sounds like a good portion of excitement is found in the music and sounds from other runners. I missed out on that.

That being said, have you ever considered an arm band? They hold quite snugly on your upper arm, so you don't even have to think about it. I run with that and a little wrist wrap (like this: http://www.goneforarun.com/Lite_Wris...cket_s/854.htm) to hold anything else. I used to run with a running belt, but it started to bother me for the reasons you described. The wrist wrap is much more comfortable.
Thank you! Finishing felt really good.

I had never thought of running without it either until i realized that i was going to have to carry it. I have thought about the armbands, but my Ipod is the first nano, the one that is a square rather than a long rectangle. I havenít seen one that will fit it. Maybe once I replace the Ipod, I will look into it more. Apple def built those things to last though I have had it for nearly 5 years and it still works really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzie72 View Post
Congratulations!!!! I can't wait till February. It will be my first Dinsey race. I remember running my first 1/2. It was very emotional. Shoot some of my training runs were emotional too. Funny how running can feel so good but yet make you cry or get down right mad.
Thank you I didnít anticipate being emotional about it. When i started to tear up at the finish I surprised myself. I think finishing and finally completing something that I had worked towards for so long was just so overwhelming.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #35
Eight
Mouseketeer

First, congratulations on finishing!!

Going back, I hated that bottleneck entrance with the stained glass windows on the sides. Not really the best design decision they could have made.

But I agree, the walk to the corral didn't seem as long as I've heard, but maybe that's one of those things that people made out to worse than it was? I'm not sure.

I also saw the guy with the monorail sign near the TTC! I loved some of the signs people had out, it was a good distraction.

That's awesome that you were able to get a picture with your mom and sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rani8600 View Post
I quickly ran off with a ďhave to go, Iím behind.Ē
I did that same thing with my mom when I saw her at the TTC, I let her take a picture but then I was like, I have to go, this is slowing down my pace!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #36
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on finishing!!! So exciting... so empowering. I just love it

I love all your picture...even the blurry ones I had some technical difficulties...so sadly don't have many pictures. It is amazing how everything becomes a jumbled memory of events... so your pics help to remind me.

BTW, you look stunning in all your pics! I look all in any and all pictures of me. You look like a princess

I remember those "hills" the first one where the army sergeant was I did fine with. Those last ones were hard though. If you ask me having the hills at the end like that is just cruel.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #37
Judgey Judgerson
Eating My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
And we have similar pictures... I can't tell.. but I think yours is from a vantage further from the stage than mine..

Yours...

Mine...

Sorry to hijack the post...but that's me in your picture annmarieda! Well, the back of me...I'm in the center of the picture in the blue Cinederella-esque costume and my friend minnie_mom is beside me in the purple...

Just a nice little surprise...

Now back to regularly scheduled trip report posting...

First Trip Ever! Coronado Springs Oct. 2011 | Forcing My Mom and Sister to Love Disney Too, Caribbean Beach Resort Jan. 2012 | Happy Thanksgiving Merry Early Christmas, Pop Century Nov. 2012

2012 Dining PTR: 6 Adults, 2 Kids, 3 States, 1 Holiday, and a lot of Disney Dining
Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #38
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgey Judgerson View Post
Sorry to hijack the post...but that's me in your picture annmarieda! Well, the back of me...I'm in the center of the picture in the blue Cinederella-esque costume and my friend minnie_mom is beside me in the purple...

Just a nice little surprise...

Now back to regularly scheduled trip report posting...
That is AWESOME! I know I look for myself in pictures...just in case. Nice to "meet" someone I have in one of my pictures. And... while it isn't a great picture... if for what ever reason you want it...feel free to snag it.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #39
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight View Post
First, congratulations on finishing!!

Going back, I hated that bottleneck entrance with the stained glass windows on the sides. Not really the best design decision they could have made.

But I agree, the walk to the corral didn't seem as long as I've heard, but maybe that's one of those things that people made out to worse than it was? I'm not sure.

I also saw the guy with the monorail sign near the TTC! I loved some of the signs people had out, it was a good distraction.

That's awesome that you were able to get a picture with your mom and sister.

I did that same thing with my mom when I saw her at the TTC, I let her take a picture but then I was like, I have to go, this is slowing down my pace!
Yeah, while I appreciate Disneyís attempt to make us feel like we were entering a royal area, I think that they are going to have to rethink it a little for next year.

From what I had read about the walk from the staging area to the corrals I expected it to feel like miles, but in actuality it didnít seem far at all. Maybe itís more about expectations?

Seeing my mom and sister along the course was really nice, more than I expected. As much as I wanted to chat for a minute about how the race was going I knew that I couldnít, I would just have to see them once it was over.

Quote:
Congratulations on finishing!!! So exciting... so empowering. I just love it

I love all your picture...even the blurry ones I had some technical difficulties...so sadly don't have many pictures. It is amazing how everything becomes a jumbled memory of events... so your pics help to remind me.

BTW, you look stunning in all your pics! I look all in any and all pictures of me. You look like a princess

I remember those "hills" the first one where the army sergeant was I did fine with. Those last ones were hard though. If you ask me having the hills at the end like that is just cruel.
Thank you!!

Next time I run on of these though im going to have to figure out a way to take better pictures (remembering to bring my camera charger will probably help :facepalm). My phone is ancient at this point. Im glad I got what I did though because I donít think I would have remembered as much without them (im still remembering some things I forgot), its amazing how some of the miles can start to blur together. I do remember those last hills. Once I was done with the ramp I thought I was done with all of the hills on the course. It did feel mean when they just kept coming. I was happy when we entered the Epcot parking area and I know they were over!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
laurenvic1312959
Mouseketeer

Congratulations on finishing I love your report and all the pictues
Definitely want to do a rundisney event on my next holiday, it's looks so much fun

Me, Lauren (21) and DF Adam (27)
1997, 1998, 2003, 2008 and 2011 - Off site
Me and my DF as a bridesmaid and best man at a DFTW! A Jan 2013 TR Complete!

Last edited by laurenvic1312959; 03-13-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #41
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

oh yeah! Congratulations! Wasn't it the best feeling when you got to the choir?

Those ramps are the WORST! Never ending!

My mom and I were getting so annoyed at people that kept yelling "the end is just around the corner" but there were never ending turns towards the end!

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #42
JessM
We all have a dream

Congrats on finishing! You are making me serious consider a Run Disney event next year... I just need to decide which one : )
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #43
Judgey Judgerson
Eating My Ears

Congratulations on running and finishing!! This was my first RunDisney event and we had a great time. Loved seeing your pics...

I kind of felt the same way about the run through the castle being anticlimactic...but i absolutely LOVED running down Main Street...it was definitely the highlight of the run for me.

First Trip Ever! Coronado Springs Oct. 2011 | Forcing My Mom and Sister to Love Disney Too, Caribbean Beach Resort Jan. 2012 | Happy Thanksgiving Merry Early Christmas, Pop Century Nov. 2012

2012 Dining PTR: 6 Adults, 2 Kids, 3 States, 1 Holiday, and a lot of Disney Dining
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
Judgey Judgerson
Eating My Ears

Quote:
That is AWESOME! I know I look for myself in pictures...just in case. Nice to "meet" someone I have in one of my pictures. And... while it isn't a great picture... if for what ever reason you want it...feel free to snag it.
nice to meet you too! I've been lurking on a few of your trip reports, really enjoying them!

rani8600: I promise, no more hijacking

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #45
TangledUp
Earning My Ears

Congrats on finishing! Especially with the pain in your hip... It's so nice that your mom and sister were there to cheer you on. By the way I love the tiara and how you don't look sweaty at all. If only I could look like that after running.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: