Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #16
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at pop. I do like it but yes- it is no deluxe. I currently am planning to stay there for 4 nights in the fall with a group of friends. I hope the room is big enough.

That is so cool that the chef made you your own food. I never had thought just how much everything gets "mixed" that is crazy!

Your race outfit is very cute! I tried to get into the ability to wear a costume but I just couldn't.

I too was in corral c. I was a bit irritated by my placement when I first got it. The time I submitted from a race in October was not as good as my current pace for one and two- even that pace, when using a race calculator would have put me finishing in the cut off for b... Not c and three- I had decided not to run one last 10k in order to "update" my time. When I contacted the rep from trackshack who I had submitted my time to, I was even less happy. He basically told me that he didn't think I would be able to finish the race in the time suggested by that calculator so he put down a finish time for me of 2:30. Had he put 2:29... Would have been b. as worked up over it as I was initially, I calmed down and decided the start time between one corral and the next was only a couple minutes.... So it didn't really matter. But... Don't know bout you- but I think it mattered
Old 03-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
The race shirt is so pretty this year!! I'm kicking myself for not being able to go!

I love your race outfit too. Simple but cute!!
Thanks! I was so surprised when i saw the shirt. I didnt think it would be so cute and i would actually want to wear it

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I have stayed at pop. I do like it but yes- it is no deluxe. I currently am planning to stay there for 4 nights in the fall with a group of friends. I hope the room is big enough.

That is so cool that the chef made you your own food. I never had thought just how much everything gets "mixed" that is crazy!

Your race outfit is very cute! I tried to get into the ability to wear a costume but I just couldn't.

I too was in corral c. I was a bit irritated by my placement when I first got it. The time I submitted from a race in October was not as good as my current pace for one and two- even that pace, when using a race calculator would have put me finishing in the cut off for b... Not c and three- I had decided not to run one last 10k in order to "update" my time. When I contacted the rep from trackshack who I had submitted my time to, I was even less happy. He basically told me that he didn't think I would be able to finish the race in the time suggested by that calculator so he put down a finish time for me of 2:30. Had he put 2:29... Would have been b. as worked up over it as I was initially, I calmed down and decided the start time between one corral and the next was only a couple minutes.... So it didn't really matter. But... Don't know bout you- but I think it mattered
Yeah, i think the difference in the hotels is really down to what you get used to.

I thought about doing a costume as well before hand. Everyone on the boards were talking about their ideas and how to make tutus. I figured that I would get so aggravated with it my the third mile that I would have to get rid of it anyway...lol. It ended up being so hot that morning that I felt bad for a lot of the runners in costume.

As for placement...thats tricky. Since this was my first race that placed people in start corrals i dont have anything to judge it against. I think it worked well for me, but my submitted time put me start in the middle of C i believe. I think it was probably a lot trickier for people who were inbetween corrals. I do think thought that they should look into using a 10 time requirement for all those who think they will finish in under 3 hours instead of just 2:45. I think it will help with the some of the bottlenecking that occured behind us and throughout the race.

A Fall Trip full of firsts, MNSSHP and Food and Wine Oct 2011
13.1 Royal Miles-2013 Princess Half Marathon

VeganRamblings my blog - includes additional trip reports

Last edited by rani8600; 03-08-2013 at 08:02 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Day 2-Race Day

That night I had not slept like I hoped that I would. If fact I barely slept at all. You could really tell that the walls were thinner and I could hear people and doors slamming all night long. I believe I fell asleep around 1:45 am and my alarm woke me up at 3. Yep, thats just over one hour. This was going to be interesting.

When my alarm went off at 3 I jumped out of bed surprising myself with the amount of energy that I had given my lack of sleep. I quickly gathered my things and waited for the wakeup call to come...half because the others were still sleeping and half because I wanted to hear Stitch. Soon Stitch was informing me that there was "no sleeping".

I quickly jumped in the shower to finish waking up and got myself together. The plan was to be out of the room and waiting for a bus by 3:30. I was doing pretty well and got out the door and down the stairs on time. Halfway I realized I forgot my water so I quickly ran back up to get it all the while thinking that running up and down stairs before a half marathon was probably not the best idea.

Once I got to the front of the lobby I could see all the runners and guests. The line for the buses was really long, but the buses kept coming and the line moved really fast. I was sitting on a bus at 3:40. Based on the time that we were leaving I figure I would be there with plenty of time to spare, but once we were leaving the Pop Century area the traffic started getting really heavy and I was getting nervous. The drive ended up taking about 45 minutes from Pop to the drop off location.

Once we were off the bus we had a short walk to the family reunion area, but the entrance was sooo bottlenecked. There were these pho stained glass windows set up and they had lines of people trying to take picture with them. It took able 15 minutes just to move into the area. Not such great thinking on Disneys part.

Once I got through I wandered around for a few minutes.

There was not much to see and time was ticking as the final race instructions said we had to be in the corrals around 5. I wandered over to the port-a-potties that they had set up but as soon as I got in like there was an announcement that corrals a-c should start making their way over. I hopped out of line as I had read other reports stating that there should be more bathrooms on the over side. There were a lot of bathrooms on the other side of bag check with lines 15-20+ people deep. I quickly found what I thought was going to be a shorter line (one of these days in going to learn that my gut always picks the wrong line) and waited my turn.

At a few minute to five I starting walking to the start corrals eating my second banana (I had one on the bus ride) for breakfast and made it to the corral area a little after 5. The walk to the corrals was much shorter and less congested than I had heard from others. In not sure if RunDisney has made any changes in the setup for this one. Corral C was one of the closest corrals so I was there and anxiously anticipating the start by 10 after..not bad. As i waited in my corral, my nervousness started to turn into excitement. I was really going to do this!

They had DJs play music and soon enough the pre-race program started. The had an interview with Sean Astin&I was happy to see he was proudly wearing his tiara (my mom and sis saw him later during the run and said he wasnt wearing it anymore)

They also interview a girl who was going for her coast to coast. She was the last runner to cross the finish at the Tink half and was aiming to complete this half as well.

Last edited by rani8600; 03-12-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
TangledUp
Earning My Ears

Personally I love pop century (and this is coming from a girl who had really only stayed at deluxe or villa rooms up until that point). But I will agree that it was slightly nosier in those rooms and I wouldn't want to have to share that double bed with anyone. I always have the worst nights sleep the first night away from home and never mind if I had the stress of a race - I'm always impressed that people running their first Disney marathon or half marathon manage to get any sleep at all. All that traffic and congestion (both cars and people) must be frustrating but I'm glad you made it to your corral in time. Pretty neat to see Sean Astin there.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I think it is interesting how our mornings were different. I won't go into it that much since I am writing my own TR... But between my bus experience being quicker and my walk to c taking longer- interesting I will say that maybe not everyone heard the call for c... I know I didn't and ended up walking with the masses to the remaining ones. I thought it was just me... But maybe if there was not many when you went... Maybe this is why.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #21
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangledUp View Post
Personally I love pop century (and this is coming from a girl who had really only stayed at deluxe or villa rooms up until that point). But I will agree that it was slightly nosier in those rooms and I wouldn't want to have to share that double bed with anyone. I always have the worst nights sleep the first night away from home and never mind if I had the stress of a race - I'm always impressed that people running their first Disney marathon or half marathon manage to get any sleep at all. All that traffic and congestion (both cars and people) must be frustrating but I'm glad you made it to your corral in time. Pretty neat to see Sean Astin there.
Yeah, for me it tends to be sleep on the whole vacation that can be hard. As much as i love vacations i dont tend to get very much sleep as i just dont sleep as well when i am away. I was just hoping that for some reason it might be different this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I think it is interesting how our mornings were different. I won't go into it that much since I am writing my own TR... But between my bus experience being quicker and my walk to c taking longer- interesting I will say that maybe not everyone heard the call for c... I know I didn't and ended up walking with the masses to the remaining ones. I thought it was just me... But maybe if there was not many when you went... Maybe this is why.
The calls for the corrals were really quiet. With the DJs and all the people im surprised i heard it. It is interesting though that so many people had a different experience that morning and through the race. I cant wait to hear about your princess morning.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #22
rani8600
Mouseketeer

And so it begins

By this time the corrals were starting to fill up and it wasn’t long before they were sending off the wheelchair athlete.

Then it was time for the first corral. With their send off there were fireworks from all around including towers of sparklers. It was an impressive sight and helped to get me excited to run this race. I couldn’t wait until it was our turn.

We slowly made our way forward until it was time. They sent us off with fireworks of our own and by calling out people by their costume. They also gave one last warning to make sure to hydrate well.

I placed myself just over midway back in the corral hoping that I would be a group of people with a similar pace. It worked pretty well as according to my Garmin we were running just shy of a 12 minute mile.

The first few minutes were a little strange for me. It was the change from all the excitement back in the corrals to the now seriousness of what we were all setting out to do. There was not a lot of talking and the music was quickly fading behind us.

Because of the heat and humidity Disney I thought added another water stop either just before the first mile marker, it surprised me as I was not expecting one until after the second mile. Looking back at the map i guess i just missed that one as i usually dont take water that early. This time i made sure to grab a cup. The first mile marker came on quickly. I tried to get a picture, but it came out so burry that you can’t see anything.

It was after the first mile that I knew that I was going to have to adjust my strategy. The humidity before the sun rose was killer. I had run the first mile with no walking and planned to run the second the same way. After running in the humidity I knew that I was going to have to add walk breaks in early or I was going to overheat fast. For the second mile I shifted to run 5 minutes walk 1 strategy.

Hey look, we made it.

It was just after this mile marker that I started to feel thankful about my change in plan as I saw a girl being sick on the side of the road… this was only just after the second mile marker. That’s how you know the humidity was bad.

Just before we hit the second mile the course had opened up as we were on the main road heading for Magic Kingdom. The first set of characters was in this area, the pirates. There was a long line and I knew that they would still be out when we ran by later on the course so I passed on them for now.

Like a beacon we could see in the distance the entrance to the Magic Kingdom area calling us. Soon enough we found ourselves running through the toll plaza . During our approach to the area they keep making announcements about the speed bumps telling us to be careful. While running thru the plaza I heard a girl turn back to her friend and jokingly tell her to be careful. Now I’m sure you can all guess what happened next…she tripped over it. It looked like a small misstep and she seemed fine…im sure that was not the last time something like that happened on the course that morning.

After the gates just before the Speedway was the 5k split, time 39:20 Pace 12:39, not too bad considering the weather and not that much slower than my planed 12mm pace. Soon after we veered to the right towards the speedway and through another water stop. By this point I was taking both powerade and water. I had never run while drinking powerade so I crossed my fingers that my body liked the idea. It ended up being fine throughout the whole race.

Near the Speedway the Cars characters were out. There was a line again and they were not a must for me so I took a picture and kept going.

The road had begun to narrow again and the course became more crowded as we ran through the mile four mile marker, I don’t know what I was looking at but I completely missed this one. I didnt realize until half way through the mile that i must have missed it. I was starting to think that mile was the longest mile ever

By this point we were heading into the Ticket and Transportation center. There were a lot of people in cheering on the runners. They had great signs and the energy was really nice. There was one person with a funny sign that said “I took the monorail, it was faster.” There were a few more funny signs along the course. I had to laugh out loud at a few of them.

I started to look around for my mom and sister as this was the first area we planned to see each other at. I thought I must have missed them as I was almost out of the ticket and trans area, but saw them at the last minute right by the monorail ramps. I shouted a quick hi and waved as I passed. It was really cool to see them on the course. After I passed they were going to make their way to the Grand Floridian via the monorail to try to catch me as we ran out of the Magic Kingdom.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Disneychix
Is it summer yet?

SO happy you got to see your family! Way to go so far on your race!

Did you listen to music or anything. I have never run solo (I ran the Princess 1/2 with my mom and all 5ks with her, and the ToT with my DH). We are getting to the point where DH is faster than me and I don't know if I should just let him run on his own.

"You ain't never had a friend like MEEEEEE"

May 2010 TR-39th B-Day full of surprises!

Come read my December 2009 TR!!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

I had so much fun reading your last update. Not being a runner, had no idea how the Princess Half Marathon was laid out. And how cool to have the characters line up along the route for pictures!! Almost makes me want to start taking up running. Almost.

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneychix View Post
SO happy you got to see your family! Way to go so far on your race!

Did you listen to music or anything. I have never run solo (I ran the Princess 1/2 with my mom and all 5ks with her, and the ToT with my DH). We are getting to the point where DH is faster than me and I don't know if I should just let him run on his own.
Thanks, it was really nice to see them.

Running with or without music was something I thought a lot about in the weeks leading up to the race. For all of my training I always had music with me. For the race, however, I decided not to try to run with any music. It didn’t bother me though as there was a lot going on during the run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I had so much fun reading your last update. Not being a runner, had no idea how the Princess Half Marathon was laid out. And how cool to have the characters line up along the route for pictures!! Almost makes me want to start taking up running. Almost.
haha, this was my first long race. Disney def does the entertainment on long races well. I didnt feel the boredom that i usually feel on long runs during the race at all. On my 10k previous, i was sooo bored of running by mile 4. It was a really small 10k and there was no one around; i just wanted to be done. Not so for this one.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
beachta1
Mouseketeer

Great run report so far. Can't wait to read how the rest of the run went for you!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
jwgm2012
Mouseketeer

Just joining! Great report so far. I'm hoping to do a Disney run in the future; maybe next year?? I did my first 5K this weekend and really enjoyed the whole process.

Question though - do you feel like the Disney run is as hard as a "regular" 1/2 marathon? When I read about the characters being out and people stopping to visit - it seems those are opportunities to rest and catch your breath before continuing on the race path... I'm curious because the though of running a 1/2 or full is pretty intimidating but also doable if I know I'd be able to do it with small resting periods. Does that make sense?

Can't wait to read the rest.

gina

June 2012 - Our First Semi-Blended Family Trip - CSR
December 2012 - DBF and I's First Ever Disney Christmas
June 2013 - Celebrating DD's 15th Birthday - OKW
November 2014 - DBF and I Celebrating My Big 4-0 at AULANI!!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

I was dying when I read your story about the "caution speed bumps ahead" warning. Not so much because of what happened to the gal, but... omg!!! The warning..over and over and over and over. Same with the "caution, road narrows ahead"

I didn't read any of the spectator signs. Now I wish I had. That is hilarious!!!

BTW, do you mind if I snag that picture of the map and use it on my TR (when I get that far?) It is a nice way to indicate just what the race route looks like. I mean.. It is easy enough to say from Epcot to MK and back... but to look at it on a map is helpful.

And we have similar pictures... I can't tell.. but I think yours is from a vantage further from the stage than mine..

Yours...

Mine...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #29
rani8600
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachta1 View Post
Great run report so far. Can't wait to read how the rest of the run went for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgm2012 View Post
Just joining! Great report so far. I'm hoping to do a Disney run in the future; maybe next year?? I did my first 5K this weekend and really enjoyed the whole process.

Question though - do you feel like the Disney run is as hard as a "regular" 1/2 marathon? When I read about the characters being out and people stopping to visit - it seems those are opportunities to rest and catch your breath before continuing on the race path... I'm curious because the though of running a 1/2 or full is pretty intimidating but also doable if I know I'd be able to do it with small resting periods. Does that make sense?

Can't wait to read the rest.

gina
I would def recommend the Disney races especially as a first long race. It’s hard to say if they Disney races are harder that non-Disney races as I haven’t run in any longer than 10k. I am toying with a half with friends, but that is not until next November. They starting and stopping may help, but I wouldn’t count on it. Some of the stops are long 3-4 minutes, but most of the stops I took (mile markers, short character lines) were more like 30 seconds. The nice thing is that Disney’s pace requirement is 16 minute miles. This is greater than some others. The pressure to run hard and fast also seemed a little less so I didn’t feel so intimidated by the other runners out there. There were also a lot of people running run/walk intervals.

[QUOTE=annmarieda;47771495]I was dying when I read your story about the "caution speed bumps ahead" warning. Not so much because of what happened to the gal, but... omg!!! The warning..over and over and over and over. Same with the "caution, road narrows ahead"

I didn't read any of the spectator signs. Now I wish I had. That is hilarious!!!

BTW, do you mind if I snag that picture of the map and use it on my TR (when I get that far?) It is a nice way to indicate just what the race route looks like. I mean.. It is easy enough to say from Epcot to MK and back... but to look at it on a map is helpful.

And we have similar pictures... I can't tell.. but I think yours is from a vantage further from the stage than mine..

[QUOTE]

I know, if she was really hurt I would have felt bad but she just laughed and kept going so... That’s one this about this race, no one can say that they didn’t warn us able obstacles in the course…haha.

I was def looking for signs after I saw that first one. I wish I could remember some of the others. I was great how a laugh at some of the signs gave you a little bit of push for a few minutes after.

Of course you can use the map pic, I may have borrowed direct from a Disney site .

Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
rani8600
Mouseketeer

The road narrowed down to one lane as we started towards the Contemporary Resort.

I soon was running under the water bridge and up the hill that everyone talks about. I didn’t find it that bad, I ran down the hill but mostly walked up the other side as there was things to see. About halfway up the hill they had the giant puppets out that they had for the mile 20 spectacular for the full in January. I guess this was our mile five surprise .

Sorry for the blurriness. I could only slow down a little as the course was only one lane still and I didn’t want to stop in front on anyone. The crowdedness of the course could really be felt in the areas that were one lane. RunDisney stated that there were just under 24,000 runners participating this year .

Hey look… we made it to the fifth mile!

It was just after the mile 5 marker that we turned into the backstage area that would lead us down Main Street USA .

Our path towards the Castle had us entering MK from just behind Tony’s. There were a lot of spectators lining the left side of Main St and Cast Members on the right. There was cheering and lots of energy. Based on what others had said I expected Main St to be really congested and not really be able to run, but this was surprisingly not the case. Magic Kingdom was one of the easiest areas to get the space to run in. The only difficult area was actually going through the Castle.

Once we ran down Main St we made a right into Tomorrowland. Buzz was out but I passed. As we made our way into Fantasyland Alice and the Mad Matter were out. The line wasn’t so bad (about 12 ppl deep) so I thought them would make an excellent first character picture.

My eyes are closed in this one, guess I was in need of a quick nap…lol
After a quick thank you to Alice and the Mad Hatter we ran around passed new Fantasyland. PS It is so fun it to be able to write that we were running around Magic Kingdom. Doesn’t the idea just make you smile

The next character I saw was Gaston. There was no question… I was definitely stopping for this one. Gaston always has great lines. I was greeted with a “Come on over, don’t be shy.” Aside from the Hatter he is the only character that really said anything.

Gaston’s line pretty much lead right into Belle’s since she was my princess on my bib I wanted to wait for a picture with her. Plus now that she has Story time with Belle this is really the only way to meet her in her ball gown without standing in line for 2 hours.

Mickey and Minnie were out just before you ran through the Castle but there line was soooo long that I knew I couldn’t waste the time.

I have to say, running through the Castle was a bit anticlimactic. I expected to feel super great and excited, but didn’t. It was sooo crowded that we all had to walk and we were on top of each other. I tried to create some space so that I could get a picture but there was no way.

After our run (walk) through the Castle we made a right into Liberty Sq, then into Frontierland. It was here I made use of the real bathrooms. I was surprised to find no lines to use these. I have to tell you real bathrooms during the race were the way to go. They had things like soap and paper towels…the indulgence. As I was walking out I hear two girls quickly talk to each other about using the boys room to avoid the line, I told them they could go ahead to the girls room that there was no one there. They gave a quick thanks and I ran back to the course.

After Frontierland we ran backstage. They had one area set up for photos with one of the parade floats as a backdrop. When I ran past it was Aurora and Prince Philip, I heard that they were switching out with Cinderella and Prince Charming.

As we ran out of the backstage area we pasted the mile 6 marker and soon after the 10k spilt, time 1:34 pace 15:16. That mile in MK with pictures and stops really slowed my overall pace. Based on my running watch the mile through MK was just over 25 minutes.

This was not the pace I was aiming for, but feeling good cardio wise after taking it easy through Magic Kingdom I knew I was going to have to pick up the pace. I made a plan to run the next two miles straight as some of the humidity seemed to have let up, of course stopping for pictures.

Before I knew it we were at the hearing the half way song This Girl is On Fire.

Can’t tell but im pretty sure this is the mile 7 marker

Just after stopping for Mary Poppins and friends I found my mom and sister again. It was funny, I found them pretty easily, waved and yelled Hi and they still didn’t see me. I had to back track a few feet and walk right up to them before they realized it was me. A nice spectator took this picture for us.

I quickly ran off with a “have to go, I’m behind.”

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: