Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! Update 3/8/13

Hi! I'm Melissa, a 43 year old Disneyworldholic! You will notice by my location it states "No longer an hour away." In July of 2011 we moved from Tampa, FL to VA. For three years we lived about an hour away from Mickey. I had a great time, but the Air Force decided it was time for us to leave.

A little bit more about us,

Me,

As previously stated, I am 43 and love the Parks. I have always been a theme park fanatic, especially rollercoasters. I work at Kohls, which I'm still explaining to the husband that at least I am earning money to cover what I purchase. I also like photography and I know I watch way too much TV. I use to collect Boyds Bears, but stopped when I realized there were just too many and not enough room to display them. And I love WDW pins. Especially those with Mickey and Walt, Star Wars, and those with the Disney characters dressed up as someone else. I'm originally from West TX, but since marrying the husband, I have lived in AL, SC, MD, TX, FL and now VA. And this surprises most people, but I really love VA.

Next up is DH, Jonas.

He is 42, yes, younger than me and loves to rub it in. He is a year from being promoted or retiring. What this means is, if he is promoted, he will stay in another 3 years. Otherwise, he retires. 10 or so years ago, him retiring at 43 was an exciting thought since he would draw retirement and still be able to work, but with the economy today, . He is a geek and admits it. Collects comic books, loves Sci-Fi, and does what is called table top games. Here is a pic of the Lord of the Ring figures he has painted

And this is where they are played

He is also a Mustang fan and has a 2007 GT, his welcome home gift after being in Iraq for a year.

Now Jonas isn't as big a fan as me when it comes to WDW, but a few months ago he did call me to tell me he has to go to a convention in Orlando in October, so why don't I fly down and we go to MNSSHP together. Sounds like Mickey has gotten to him...or maybe it is those princesses. Especially the redheads

By the way, the pics of us are from our Anniversary trip in January 2011 that we spent at WDW and those are from the Wilderness Lodge photoshoot.

Next is our son, Jacob.

He is 13, almost 14. The above pic is from our last trip to WDW as FL residents, we spent our last weekend in FL at WDW, of course. I posted this so once I post pics from the trip you can see he is a different child from the one that left FL.

He loves Legos and Star Wars. He saved all his Christmas money to purchase this:

Looks at the crazy look in his eye, do you think he was a little excited? Took him just three days to build. But he built it on the carpet and it wasn't "structurally sound", as he put it. So, he redid it on the dining room table

in two days. And that included time with the Grandparents and sleeping. Not sure if he ate or not. He's a smart kid, but has a hard time focusing, unless it is something he really likes. He was diagnosed with severe ADHD at 3 and then once we got to VA he was diagnosed with Aspergers also. Jonas and I had thought this for years, but the doctors in FL didn't follow through with it when I asked about it. The doctors here were on their toes and recommended we see a Developmental Pediatrician. He has sensory issues, mostly with food. This will play out during our trip. Loves chicken nuggets, but only from certain restaurants and fast food spots. At home will he only eats Kraft Mac & Cheese character meals, or the Velveeta Shells, and breadsticks. But just this past year, he has started eating pizza. This is huge!!!

We have one family member that wasn't able to come this time

This is Bubblegum, suppose to be Jacob's dog. She stayed at a kennel, if she is bad, it is called Doggie Prison.

Ok, next up will be the details of how this trip came about.

POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Minions take over the MK and cause havoc at Gringott's

Last edited by jmskinner; 03-08-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Updating!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Links!!!

The Plan!!!
A road trip we will never forget!

HOME!!! Royal Princess Suite!!!
A trip to DTD!!! and a PTR!
We were able to get an ADR at DTD on a Saturday night?
Jonas gets his picture with another redhead!
Rides, Rides, and more Rides
Oh, and more rides!
Is it still my favorite restaurant if they stop serving my favorite menu item?
Dessert for Dinner!
I love the parks at night and MK EMH is the best!
Animal Kingdom, Monday August 20
Expedition Everest
Thou Shall Not Pass!
Yachtsman Steakhouse...and Jonas has a meltdown.
A 7am ADR and I was up early enough to walk the resort and take pics?

I will never let my Stepdad drink at 50's Primetime again...sorry CM.

Mom, don't feed the ducks!
Legoland!!!
Legoland Part 2
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012, POR Sept 2013, GF Sept 2014

My DH wants another trip to WDW?!?! MNSSHP, F&W, and Diagon Alley A PTR for Sept 2014

Last edited by jmskinner; 10-17-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Adding links.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to read all about your trip!

Dee

PS- I was behind on your PTR so I just read about your credit card. That stinks! Hope it all worked out.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
SimmerBaggins
DIS Veteran

YAY!! Thanks for the heads-up on FB...

Two moms get away to act like teenagers...or do they? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2739158
Old 09-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Sooze
DIS Veteran

I think I will follow this one!! You all just look like a fun family!
1978 CR,1989 Off Site, 1991 Off Site, 1992 CR, 2003 ASM, 2004 CBR, 2005 CBR, 2005 BCV, 2006 OKW, 2007 SSR,2007 BWV,,2008 POR,2008 OKW,2008 BCV,2009 SSR, 2009 BCV,2009 SSR,2009 SSR ,2010 BWV,2010 POFQ ,2011 Grand Gathering at BWV,2011 Drama Queens in Orlando,2011 Disney Dream New Year's Cruise,2012 OKW,2012 OKW Parents' 40th Anniversary2013 Spring Break at WLV,2013 Adult Trip BWV,2013 Disney Fantasy New Year's Cruise2014 OKW Summer Fun,2014 AKL Girls Only,2015 My First Half Marathon,2015 Spring Break Cruise

ME DH DS 14 DD 8
Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!

I'm in!!

I keep asking DF if we can get the AF to send us to Tampa. His response? Good Luck getting us out of Dover!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

Hey Melissa, Can't wait for more posts and pics. Those figure that Jonas paints are awsome. They are so perfect.

Now I see how long your hair got in the pic from before you moved.

Ang
Old 09-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
rgoble5972
Are we there yet?

Sounds good to me. Bring it on!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #10
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

Along for the ride

I am hopping aboard to for the ride with you. Might get some tips for our upcoming trip. I am sorry I could not be there at the same time as you. Maybe after I get all renovated I will be able to do more.

Jacob sure has shot up in height and I am glad you got a better diagnosis. Makes it easier on all concerned.

Looking forward to hearing ALL the details and love the pictures!

SG/Linda

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
I'm here, I'm here!! Can't wait to see what fun you had at Disney and Celebration!
We had a great time, glad you are following along. Are you doing a TR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

Can't wait to read all about your trip!

Dee

PS- I was behind on your PTR so I just read about your credit card. That stinks! Hope it all worked out.
It worked out, I was just worried about not earning my Disney dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmerBaggins View Post
YAY!! Thanks for the heads-up on FB...
Woo Hoo! The BFF is here!!! I thought about all of you while on this trip. So use to getting to spend time with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooze View Post
I think I will follow this one!! You all just look like a fun family!
We can be a fun family, but we have our "grumpy" moments.

Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebbradley View Post
I'm in!!

I keep asking DF if we can get the AF to send us to Tampa. His response? Good Luck getting us out of Dover!
You aren't too far from us then. I had no idea when Jonas told me we were going to MacDill. Conversation went like this "Got orders for MacDill." "Where is that?" "An hour from WDW." I was at work and didnt' want them to know I was leaving yet, so I couldn't scream, but sure wanted to.

Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angwill View Post
Hey Melissa, Can't wait for more posts and pics. Those figure that Jonas paints are awsome. They are so perfect.

Now I see how long your hair got in the pic from before you moved.

Ang
Hi! Yes, I hadn't realized how long it was from that anniversary trip to when we moved. A year later it was really long. Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoble5972 View Post
Sounds good to me. Bring it on!
I will. Thanks for joining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyGoofy View Post
I am hopping aboard to for the ride with you. Might get some tips for our upcoming trip. I am sorry I could not be there at the same time as you. Maybe after I get all renovated I will be able to do more.

Jacob sure has shot up in height and I am glad you got a better diagnosis. Makes it easier on all concerned.

Looking forward to hearing ALL the details and love the pictures!

SG/Linda
So glad you are here! I'm sorry we didn't get to see you too. There was one Dismeet, but a very short one.

Maybe you can come see us in October!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

The Plan!!!

How did this trip come about? Back at SWW 2011 we were speaking with some people that said they heard Star Wars Celebration was going to be held in Orlando again. Oh, guess I should explain Celebration, it is the International Star Wars Convention. We attended in 2010 and I loved it. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but my boys are and I have realized like I enjoy watching people doing what they love to do. After the 2010 show, I told my boys we would try to go to the next one if it is stateside, there have been a couple overseas. A few months after moving to VA, the news was released that it was going to be Orlando.

But, not until the end of August, the 23rd-26th. When is school going to start? I had to wait several months for the school board to get their act together and release the new calendar. School would be starting the 27th. That's cutting it close, but the boy doesn't drive, he can sleep the whole way home. We could make the trip!

Now, I gave Jonas the choice of Universal or WDW, but part of me wants to wait to do Universal until they have completed the new Harry Potter area, so WDW it would be.

And remember, Jacob loves Legos. We moved at the end of July, 2011 and Legoland opened that following fall. Poor Jacob didn't get to see it, so we had to go there.

We still have a home in the Tampa area we have rented out since we can't sell it. Jonas wanted to drive by it and just make sure it looked ok.

And then there are these people:

My Mom and Stepdad. They had no idea what was about to happen to them. And the look I got after they got wet:

They had purchased a home in FL right after we left and we hadn't seen them since we moved. Originally thought about them coming to VA for a visit and then they could take Jacob back to FL to spend some time with them, and then we could pick him up or we could meet at WDW.

Then life got in the way. I signed Jacob up for a two week camp where they explored the different battlefields in the area. They went to Gettysburg, Antietem, Harpers Ferry, and down to Jefferson's old home. I also got him started back in Occupation Therapy and managed to get three weeks of it setup. Jonas' mother wanted him to visit her in NC and we had to get braces on him. Poor kid got his braces the Wednesday before we left for FL. I think this was the busiest summer.

My mother and I decided that they would come pick him up at WDW and Jonas and I could have a few days in the parks by ourselves. I originally planned on taking Jacob to all 4 parks on Friday. He only wanted to do a few things and I knew we could do it. Then we got a little update from Celebrations...they were doing a Red Carpet Premiere for the first episode of the Clone Wars new season, which doesn't air until the end of September. Well, I knew my boys would want to do that and it was on Friday. I also knew we would have to wait in line for probably two hours to get in. So trying to make all four parks in one day wasn't going to happen.

Called my Mom and finally came up with a final plan...two weeks from the day we would leave! I was even able to move a couple of ADR's to make it all work.

So the plan for the trip was:
Friday, the 17th, leave for FL and get as close as we can.
Saturday, arrive in FL and get Jacob to the Grandparents (even this changed a few days before the trip)
Sunday and Monday, Jonas and I would go to the parks.
Tuesday, the Grandparents would bring the boy over and we would spend the day.
Wednesday would be Legoland
Thursday - Saturday would be Celebrations and I planned on late Saturday getting as far on the road to VA as we could. You notice I say "planned".

Next up would be a road trip we will never forget!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
SlightlyGoofy
I shall be forced to take you on an endless tour
I know where some of your favorite spots are

McDill AFB

So you are going to be about ten miles from me but you will have a very busy schedule. Figures. One of these days.

Your mom is very pretty and has a face that looks like she has your disposition. That is a good thing btw.

SG

We just moved to our Happy Place
All Star Sports is our second home!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Coming along for the ride. I Star Wars.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
LisaKeys
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to your TR!

I am such a lover of Boxers! Bubblegum is so cute.

Read you soon...

Oh, and the photo of your parents reaction to getting wet? Priceless!!!

Someone please stop the Mango, Garlic and DxDP!!! Jan 10-23, 2011

July 1973 - MK one day/off site; November 1991 - WDW Villa's; February 1993 WDW off site; November 1999 - WDW offsite; December 2001 - WDW BWLBV-DTD; Jan 10-23, 2011 - Coronado Springs Resort and Best Western DTD

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: