Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
www.rockinghorseranch.com

My kids were never bored there!
OMG!! I can't believe that place is still open. I went here a few times when I was young!! (I'm over 50 now) LOVED IT

Glad to see it still in business.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
girli565
A Miami kind of girl

I used cruise compete the last time we booked in the spring of 2012. You enter your info for your preferred dates and sailings and they will send you info from different agencies that meet your criteria. And most include some sort of credit to your shipboard account when you book. There's not a lot of discounts but some include your gratuities or enough of a credit to pay your gratuities. My last cruise we got our gratuities paid, free travel insurance, and $100 credit.
girli565 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Wisconsin Dells. Plenty to keep two kids who love water busy.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

We have 3 kids ages 16, 14 and 12 and cruises are their very favorite vacation. I would HIGHLY recommend one of Royal Caribbeans ships...Voyager, Freedom or Oasis Class ships.

They are truly amazing and kids will not be bored. They have a whole deck for sports....free mini golf, inline skating, basketball court, rockclimbing wall. You can do a tour on their website.

Carnival ships are also fun...but I would make sure it is one of their newer and larger ships.

We sailed Royal Carribbeans Explorer of the Seas out of NJ one Thanksgiving and had an incredible time. No flying involved which is awesome.

Another place that popped into my mind is Lake George. They have the Six Flags waterpark there and there is a ton of stuff to keep everyone busy.

Hope this helps! Have fun planning!

We are heading to Cape Cod for two weeks this year.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #20
katie111
DIS Veteran

We have 3 kids ages 5, 9 & 10 and are also from New England. We are going to the Mayan Riviera for April vacation for the 3rd time. As you probably know, I just don't think you can compare the cost to any other vacation. People are always amazed at how little it costs relative to a US vacation, especially for all they offer. We have stayed at Occidental Grand Xcaret & Barcelo Mayan Palace and loved both except the food at Occidental was not very good. This year we are staying at Marina El Cid as its one of the few places that allows 5 in a a room. We have visited Xcaret and Xplor while we were there. My kids absolutely loved Explor & can't wait to go back.

For other vacations we have done Universal, St John, Turks and Caicos (both so beautiful but not much there beyond the beach), and a Disney cruise. A cruise is a good idea but I personally prefer a land vacation. This summer we are doing Hilton Head for the 2nd time. There isn't a ton there (no waterparks, themeparks, etc) but my kids love it. We usually spend the mornings biking for miles, then head to the beach after lunch, and then to the pool for the afternoon. Then out to dinner or ice cream & maybe some more biking or mini golf. My kids hate to be bored too and they love HH. Also very affordable. I'm renting a house there for 2 weeks for under $2000.

Good luck in your search.
Off site 2008

Wilderness Lodge 2008
Caribbean Beach 2009

Off site 2010
POR 2010, Swan 2011
All Star Music/Movies 2012
Wyndham Bonnet Creek 2013
katie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie111 View Post
We have 3 kids ages 5, 9 & 10 and are also from New England. We are going to the Mayan Riviera for April vacation for the 3rd time. As you probably know, I just don't think you can compare the cost to any other vacation. People are always amazed at how little it costs relative to a US vacation, especially for all they offer. We have stayed at Occidental Grand Xcaret & Barcelo Mayan Palace and loved both except the food at Occidental was not very good. This year we are staying at Marina El Cid as its one of the few places that allows 5 in a a room. We have visited Xcaret and Xplor while we were there. My kids absolutely loved Explor & can't wait to go back.

For other vacations we have done Universal, St John, Turks and Caicos (both so beautiful but not much there beyond the beach), and a Disney cruise. A cruise is a good idea but I personally prefer a land vacation. This summer we are doing Hilton Head for the 2nd time. There isn't a ton there (no waterparks, themeparks, etc) but my kids love it. We usually spend the mornings biking for miles, then head to the beach after lunch, and then to the pool for the afternoon. Then out to dinner or ice cream & maybe some more biking or mini golf. My kids hate to be bored too and they love HH. Also very affordable. I'm renting a house there for 2 weeks for under $2000.

Good luck in your search.
I agree.....our Mexican vacation was definitely budget and we had a GREAT time. We went to Barcelo Maya Colonial and really liked it.
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #22
MinnieForMe
DIS Veteran

We're also from New England and we found Williamsburg to be very budget friendly and our boys (similar ages to yours) absolutely loved it. They have a very reasonable pass that includes Busch Gardens, Water Country and Colonial Williamsburg. The entire week pass cost us about the price of 1.5 days in Disney.

We are heading to Grand Cayman and there is nothing budget about Cayman. It is expensive. From Boston, our airline tickets would take most of your budget. Although, once you are there, all the beaches are free.

Since there are only four of you, you might be able to go budget with Atlantis if you stay at the Comfort Suites. I hear it includes full access.

Finally, Southwest announced $59 flights. It might be worth it to check
out some cruises.

Good luck.

2000 - Dixie Landings
2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 at the Sheraton Vistana and Cypress Palms.

Took a break from Disney for Grand Cayman 2013.

2014- Florida and Aruba

I need to remind myself often to: "Enjoy life. To remember that life is not Disney World and you certainly don't want a fastpass. Make the most of everyday and enjoy the ride!"
MinnieForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Katie111 where do you book your all inclusives with? We are also a family of five and have stuck to cruising because I have been able to find deals on my own and can book far in advance which helps us save. Would love to do an all inclusive though so any info is really appreciated.

LUKENICK...have you decided yet? Isn't vacation planning fun? I LOVE it!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #24
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
Katie111 where do you book your all inclusives with? We are also a family of five and have stuck to cruising because I have been able to find deals on my own and can book far in advance which helps us save. Would love to do an all inclusive though so any info is really appreciated.

Nope did not decide yet. Can't really book anything til May/June. It's definitely going to be a last minute decision which I hate!!!! I am usually booked by now. My son plays baseball and really wants to know if he will get the opportunity to go to Cooperstown but won't know anything until late in the baseball season. The coaches will be checking him out. For now I am having fun searching and gathering ideas!
2012 AKL Villas

Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #25
DisneyHumbug
DIS Veteran

how about woodloch pines resort in hawley, pa?

DVC 01

Last edited by DisneyHumbug; 03-06-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: mistake
DisneyHumbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #26
coachb
Mouseketeer

Here's another New Englander that LOVES Colonial Williamsburg. LOTS to do and quite affordable. Best bet would be to buy passes online at the Busch Gardens website. As others have indicated, you can get a weeks worth of attractions for what a day at Disney would cost. Plus many passes include parking. Lots of history with Colonial Wmsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. BG and Water Country USA are top notch parks. Many timeshares in the area so you can find a place with plenty of space and a full kitchen. It takes us about 10/11 hours to drive from NH (although we leave at night to avoid traffic). Have been 3x and planning to go again next Summer.
coachb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I have heard good things about this place:

http://www.tylerplace.com/inclusive-...vities-sports/

We go here every summer:

http://www.canoeislandlodge.com/

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post

not katie, but we love our AI's too!

Try looking at:
www.allinclusiveoutlet.com
www.cheapcaribbean.com

We are going to Universal this summer. I can't help compare prices and think we could be going back to Mexico! We had Delta credits for the airline and my son needs a roller coaster fix! LOL I'm sure we'll have a great time, but there is just something soooo relaxing about AI's!!!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHumbug View Post
how about woodloch pines resort in hawley, pa?
GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!!!! have you seen the rates for that place????? WAY OUT OF BUDGET!!! But looks fantastic for rich folks
2012 AKL Villas

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY!!!! have you seen the rates for that place????? WAY OUT OF BUDGET!!! But looks fantastic for rich folks

If you sign up for specials on their website, they do run deals.
We've been 2x and never paid for the kids....always free. It fun, but their rack rates are crazy! You could go to Mexico for that! (and drinks are included )

rockinghorse was also expensive when we went there...My MIL gave us a $500 gift certificate, but it was $1400.00 for 2 nights.
I liked Woodloch better!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: