Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #31
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2000 View Post
I also liked Princess . Alaska (Glacier Bay) and Panama Canal thru the locks !

Disney is very good however there are other great ships!
IMO Celebrity is also very good!
I have to laugh when posters compare Carnival to DCL

I don't think anyone did, since the OP was asking about Princess.

Here's your laugh for the day, though. I thought the Carnival Magic was FAR above and beyond DCL in every area. The only thing it didn't have were characters in costumes.
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
DenLo
DIS Veteran

wdrl, is my DH as he said in his post above, our cruise on the DCL Magic was our 26th cruise, and 20 of the cruises have been on Princess.

Disney is about families and doing activities on board on on Disney's private island, Castaway Cay (or with Galveston cruises going to Port Canaveral). The whole idea is to immerse yourself into Disney.

Princess is able to handle families with children ages 3 and up in their children's centers if there are 20 or more children(ages 3 to 17) traveling on the larger Princess ships. Princess has two very small ships that do not have kid programs, these ships do world cruises. Other that the kids clubs, the only other entertainment for the kids is dance parties for the older children 8 and up and karaoke parties, but they are limited to certain hours and locations. The dance parties are really dancing. Not the aerobic instructor dance moves taught during a Disney dance party. There are some family entertainers but it's more like a regular entertainer dumbing down the early show for the children dining in first sitting. Late show is for adults. Unlike Disney there no 6:30 early show but shows 45 minutes after each traditional dinner time.

I have never heard any adult nor a child complain about the children's programs on Princess. They always cheer them during the closing show. It's quite possible that a Disney parent would prefer DCL over Princess, but I don't know.

I really doubt kids would hate a Princess cruise. Some might want to know where the Princesses are, but that's easily explainable, with "you're the princess on this ship". Just let the children know up front it's not a Disney vacation.

However, I too, as my DH said in his post, would take my nieces and nephews and their families (all 24 of them) on a Disney cruise, not a Princess cruise, because the children, infants to age 10, are the perfect ages for a Disney cruise. But at some point they will mature and be ready for more adventures beyond Disney.

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We have make great memories on all the cruise lines we have been on.

The trick is to not compare them. Just enjoy the moments

We have found things that other lines have done better than DCL.

We have sailed DCl, NCL, RCI, HAL, Carnival and Princess.
The only line we won't sail again is Carnival. We tried them twice and we don't like it.

We look at prices and ports.
Although, we enjoy DCL. We get bored with their ports. There are only so many Eastern and Western cruises we can take. We have sailed on DCL Transatlantic, Alaska, Eastern Carr., Western Carr., Bahamas and California Coast. We are sailing on an 8 night Galveston in a few weeks.

We sail other lines for different ports. Plus, we get bored of DCL shows and like the change.

Any day on a cruise ship is better than being at home.

ETA: FOr $2000 savings, I would go with Princess.

Last edited by stsomewhere; 03-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #34
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyfaz View Post
In about 10 days I will be boarding DCL out of Galveston. I was looking online last night at different cruises and noticed that the prices on Princess out of the Houston port in November are pretty good. This port is less than 10 minutes away from my house!

Has anyone been on a Princess ship? Will my family be disappointed if we go on Princess after DCL?

Here are the prices for an oceanview on each boat during Thanksgiving 2013 week:

DCL

Caribbean Princess- $2996, 174 sq.ft. room
-sails to cozumel, belize city and honduras

Disney Wonder- $5098.68, ($4588.81 if I book on board next week along with $400 OBC), 204 sq.ft. room
-sails to key west, nassau, castaway cay

I am sure you will find that almost everyone on the Dis and other line sites will give you the most honest answers, discriptions of thier expriences and opinions. Yes they are all fans of their line, but they are more interested in helping another cruise people or famiies find the best line for their needs and interests.

The ones to ignore are the few that think there is no other line worth a dam except their favorite line and the people that hang around, putting down other person opinions and/or mocking other poeples ability to offer honest opinions.

In agree with the past poster who suggesting trying sites with other line themes........Its the best way to explore all the lines your interested in.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: