Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

HARP Questions

Anyone that has financed thru HARP. Does the paperwork say HARP on it. I got my paperwork today. Does not say HARP anywhere on it. I was told refinancing thru HARP that there is no appraisal fee, Good Faith estimate says $410 for appraisal. Loan Officer told me $2765 in closing cost. Good Faith Estimate says $6060. Something doesn't feel right here. Trying to do this thru Bank of America with whom my original mortage is with. Got a huge envelope full of papers to read and sign. Thought this HARP process was simple. Please offer any advice or knowledge.
yankebabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

We did. Nothing said HARP. All the fees were listed, we weren't responsible for. It was slow, but pretty easy. No appraisal was needed, but a few hundred phone calls were. It seemed too good to be true to us, but it was legit! Good luck!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

But my new loan amt says $134, 000 but I only currently owe $128, 400. So they really are charging me $6000 in closing. Why??
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

What is the breakdown of fees on your good faith estimate? They do seem very high. But is it really all closing costs, or does the $6K also include pre-payments into an Escrow account?

As far as the appraisal goes, I am refinancing through HARP right now too, and I unfortunately have to get a real appraisal. HARP allows the appraisals to be done by computer model in many cases but only when it is deemed reliable. Some neighborhoods are harder to peg than others, so a physical appraisal is still required by HARP in those situations. Also, some banks are requiring them more than others from the sounds of things - they do still have some say in all of this. (My loan officer at Chase said 50% of his refis were coming up requiring appraisals, but I got the feeling that was a possibly just a complete lie by him to get me to stop bugging him about it - when I pushed back about WHY I got stuck with an appraisal despite the Chase website saying that most people don't, he didn't really have much of an answer other than "the computer is telling me you need one". Yes, I think he's an idiot at this point, or worse. I also discovered 2 other pieces of misinformation I was given during the process.) My appraisal fee is $460.

Last edited by MomToOne; 03-04-2013 at 06:12 PM.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

My breakdown of good faith goes like this:

$672-origination charge
$410-full appraisal
$89-tax service fee
$35-credit report fee
$17-flood check fee
$1268-title services & lenders title insurance ( why do I pay for their title insurance?)
$500-govt recording charges
$980-transfer tax
$1441-initial escrow deposit
$155-daily int charges (says its interest from your settlement date until first of the month. 13 days in my case)
$492-homeowners insurance

Does all this sound right?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankebabie View Post
My breakdown of good faith goes like this:

$672-origination charge
$410-full appraisal
$89-tax service fee
$35-credit report fee
$17-flood check fee
$1268-title services & lenders title insurance ( why do I pay for their title insurance?)
$500-govt recording charges
$980-transfer tax
$1441-initial escrow deposit
$155-daily int charges (says its interest from your settlement date until first of the month. 13 days in my case)
$492-homeowners insurance

Does all this sound right?
The 6K does include your escrow deposits as well as closing costs. I thought the escrow deposit could not be rolled in to the loan like that and you had to pay it at closing, but maybe I'm wrong????

Keep in mind that if you have a balance in your escrow account on your current loan, that will be refunded to you so that may wash out some of the cost of the new escrow deposits.

What I'm not getting in looking at your numbers: why is your homeowners a separate payment and not included in the escrow deposit? Is it almost due? If that's the case, then the loan agent may not have caught it in your orginal conversation. He may not have caught the transfer tax either.

Last edited by MomToOne; 03-04-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #7
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

I was wondering too why they would list homeowners ins separately and as a matter of fact it was just paid in feb. and I shouldn't have a transfer tax? Why, because we are not selling only refinancing?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

He didn't say anything about needing money on the table at closing. I have left 2 messages for him and he doesn't return my calls. Things just don't seem to be adding up. I really appreciate your help. I am feeling very nervous about this
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankebabie View Post
I was wondering too why they would list homeowners ins separately and as a matter of fact it was just paid in feb. and I shouldn't have a transfer tax? Why, because we are not selling only refinancing?
My understanding is that you often have to pay the transfer tax on a refinance. It depends on the area. But I'm not a pro, that's just what I've read.

Take a deep breath and don't panic just yet. I've had them make errors on the GFE before, and at other times there's been things I just didn't understand properly - just ask about things and see what they say.

Last edited by MomToOne; 03-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
mistysue
DIS Veteran

I am mid-refinance right now and my numbers look nearly the same as yours. Even my escrow and home ins. are shows separate, I think it's for them to track the different numbers more easily. If they are not talking about you bringing money to the table and the loan amount is more than you owe they are probably planning to roll all of your costs into the new loan. If it helps you any, on mine they put the full amount for one year's taxes and one year's insurance on the estimate in case they are due right away after closing and I've been told that it adjusts down to account for actual due dates.

I would talk to them to verify that you are getting whatever the HARP deal is though, mine is not through HARP. One really easy way to figure it out is this: Are you financing more than 95% of your appraised value? If so, you are in the HARP program. Also, if you are financing between 80-95% and are NOT being charged PMI, you are through HARP. If you are getting PMI, make sure your appraisal is right because they will base your end date on that appraisal. My appraiser is full of crap and unfortunately it's going to cost me a few thousand dollars because he listed all of the high comps in my appraisal, then ignored their numbers. You can only contest an appraisal with comps that aren't listed which he obviously knew. (my house is newer, with deeded lake access and more updates, yet is priced ~$12/sq ft less than the comps!)

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Our new loan number was more than our outstanding mortgage, too. We didn't "miss" a payment, but there was a transition time from old to new mortgage where no payment was due, so that was forwarded & rolled into the new mortgage. According to the lawyer who did our closing, at our home on a Saturday morning, the mortgage company has to disclose & "pay" all the fees, even if it is just moving them on paper. I freaked about all the fees & wordings, like escrow which kept coming in the kajillion documents we were sent, because we didn't have it in our old loan. I was told the documents are "standards" & my situation was different & it wouldn't change & it didn't. Did I keep calling & asking? You betcha. It also took over the 90 day lock in period, through no fault of our own, but they did extend. We were at 7pm Friday night, with a 10 am closing Saturday morning, when lawyer called ME to ask why he had no documents or final numbers! They came through at about 10pm night before, so I guess banker's hours are pretty much a joke, too!
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

My concern is that if I sign loan papers for $134,000 then how will they make any adjustments after the fact regarding the escrow?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #13
Swimalie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
My understanding is that you often have to pay the transfer tax on a refinance. It depends on the area. But I'm not a pro, that's just what I've read.
Same here. We just refinanced (traditional refinancing) and had to pay $608 for the transfer tax. I was told some counties require it and others don't.
Swimalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Remember the GFE is an estimate. Any overage will be refunded to you. And yes they do have to include the Ins. if it has already been paid it will be refunded. Its just how they have to list the items. They have to list what the cost is and then in the end it will get refunded. As for no closing there are always fees that have to be paid and it looks like rather than having to pay them they are putting them into the loan equalling no money to refinance.. So yes your loan is for 134K.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
yankebabie
Mouseketeer

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input and help. I feel much better about things. You guys are the best!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: