Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
ssledoux
Mouseketeer

Best meals to share for budget trip?

We are going to Disney twice this year. We just booked the May trip today, and are planning on it being a budget trip. We have military discounts on room and tickets. We aren't doing a dining plan.

What are some of the best meals for sharing? It's 2 of my dds (adults) and 2 young (21 months and 5 months) grandbabies. None of us adults are huge eaters. We are hoping for some places where we could split 2 meals 3 ways. We will probably purchase dgs kid's meals most of the time, unless we have such a quantity that he could also share with us.

We will be eating breakfasts in the room most days (with the exception of my Nutella waffle in the MK), and we will have plenty of healthy, hearty snacks in the room for evenings. We just need some good, abundant meals to share.

Also, any appetizers in the TS restaurants that would serve as a light meal? And any "snacks" that might serve as a light meal or hearty, filling snack?

Any ideas are appreciated!! Thank you!

Headed to AofA in November with dd and dgd!!
Headed back September, 2015 with dd and family!!
ssledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
mkacar24
Mouseketeer

Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom has large portions. You could easily split two meals for three there. We did this on the last two trips with the Chicken/Rib combo plate and had plenty to fill us up. I think Cosmic Ray's in Magic Kingdom offers something similar but their menu may have changed.

The corn dog nuggets at Casey's Corner in the Magic Kingdom also worked well for us last year. Three orders of nuggets and two fries is about $20 and was enough for my wife and two hungry boys and would probably work for you as well. If you like corn dogs.

Something else that helped us last trip was learning that you can also request to remove the side from many entrees at the counter service locations and save about $2.00 off the price. Thanks to Josh at easywdw for that tip.

Last trip was our first attempt at no dining plan and we liked it much better. Good luck!
mkacar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
smidgy
dimples

the funnel cakes at Sleepy Hollow (MK). are huge!!

hubby and I split one all the time.. a great breakfast or snack.

at starring rolls those sandwiches are huge too. 2 people could easily split one. and each get a butterfinger cupcake for dessert!

we have also eaten at prime time and split an appetizer (onion rings) a fried chicken meal ( 2 pieces each, and they let us both get mashed potatos instead of one potatos, one veggie) and split a huge milkshake.

not sure about splitting 2 meals 3 ways, though.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
at starring rolls those sandwiches are huge too. 2 people could easily split one. and each get a butterfinger cupcake for dessert!
While I agree those sandwiches at Starring Rolls are easily big enough to share, I don't think they'd need three butterfinger cupcakes. I love those things and am a big eater, but those cupcakes are huge and also very, very sweet. I always order one, but have yet to finish one. In fact, the last time I got one (this past Dec) I shared it with my husband and we still threw some away. This is from someone who seldom needs/wants to share a meal with anyone.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
JeannieKY
Tink fan

I love The Plaza Restaurant in MK! Priced fairly and huge portions for sharing. Best fries in the World.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannieKY View Post
I love The Plaza Restaurant in MK! Priced fairly and huge portions for sharing. Best fries in the World.
Going to 2nd the Plaza recommendation. We are going in Aug and not on the dining plan, I have a reservation here and plan to have my dh and I split. We'll get 1 milkshake to share, 1 chicken sandwich (chicken cordon bleu) with fries and then one dessert.

Total cost will be around $25 but that's with a milkshake AND dessert. You could get by under $20 for just getting and splitting one or the other.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
gabzee
DIS Veteran

A great option is Via Napoli at Epcot. You could split a delicious pizza or some dishes and it is pretty inexpensive.

gabzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Not sure where you are staying but the Mara at aKL has flatbreads that are very large. My family of five split 2 flatbreads and 2 Caesar salad. They also have a African stew in a bread bowl that you can get with the bowl on the side. Add a salad and you could def feed 3.
Columbia Harbor House in mK has a salmon filet lunch. It comes with rice and broccoli. Two of those could be split by 3 people.

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Columbia Harbor House in mK has a salmon filet lunch. It comes with rice and broccoli. Two of those could be split by 3 people.
This made me laugh because we each get one of these (family of 4, kids age 11 and 12) and we eat every speck and the kids say they could really eat another piece of salmon. We're not huge eaters, it's just that good...or we're really hungry when we go there.
January 2009 - POP Century
February 2010 - POP Century
February 2011 - POP Century
August 2011 - POP Century/POFQ Split Stay
January 2012 - POR
August 2012 - POP Century/AKV Split Stay
March 2013 - POP Century/Off-site Condo Split Stay
August 2013 - Pool House/AKV Split Stay
August 2014 - Windsor Palms Splash Pool Townhome
Cap'nJack'sMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

We go to Sci-Fi every time we're at WDW. DH and I split the All-American Picnic Burger and fries. It's a lot of food (and yummy!) and it's more cost effective than doing DHS counter service! Plus we get to enjoy Sci-Fi, which is the kids' favorite!
January 2012 - POR
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
LeahA
DIS Veteran

My dh and I were going to try to split meals while we were down there, but everytime it came time to eat, we were starving, and ordered are own meal!

But, if I have to pick 1 place that the portions were huge is the stand by Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom, we have 2 adults and 3 kids and we all got one of the individual containers (bowls) of food. Definitely we could have split these, they were GINORMOUS!
SARATOGA SPRINGS RESORT-X2
OLD KEY WEST
WILDERNESS LODGE
POLYNESIAN
POP CENTURY
LeahA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
DavidandDenise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nJack'sMum View Post
This made me laugh because we each get one of these (family of 4, kids age 11 and 12) and we eat every speck and the kids say they could really eat another piece of salmon. We're not huge eaters, it's just that good...or we're really hungry when we go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nJack'sMum View Post
We go to Sci-Fi every time we're at WDW. DH and I split the All-American Picnic Burger and fries. It's a lot of food (and yummy!) and it's more cost effective than doing DHS counter service! Plus we get to enjoy Sci-Fi, which is the kids' favorite!
Now I'm laughing! I definitely agree that that burger is big enough to split, but DH and I each get our own for the same reason your family gets their own salmon at Columbia Harbour House! It's the best burger at WDW in our opinion! We do split three fish meals at Columbia between the four of us though!
DavidandDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Cap'nJack'sMum
Psycho for The Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidandDenise View Post
Now I'm laughing! I definitely agree that that burger is big enough to split, but DH and I each get our own for the same reason your family gets their own salmon at Columbia Harbour House! It's the best burger at WDW in our opinion! We do split three fish meals at Columbia between the four of us though!
I love the All American Burger. DH could eat the whole burger, but I can't (I want to, but I would have to lie down afterward). DH got tired of me asking for bites of his burger, so now he's nice enough to split it with me.
January 2012 - POR
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
ssledoux
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the ideas!

We were talking about going to sci-fi, but haven't heard great things about the food. It seems like the burger might make it doable.

I think what we will do at Starring Rolls (if we wind up eating there at all, which we may not if we do sci-fi) is get a sandwich and an extra croissant then put some of the meat and fixins from the sandwich on the croissant to make 2 sandwiches (a tip I got from my home school board).

Flame Tree is a fave, but we will probably each get our own food there because we LOVE the pulled pork sandwich.

One area we will save is drinks. I figure we will bring in a couple of water bottles to fill and have with lunches and then, if we have the desire for something flavored, we will get one large drink and share it then drink water after its gone).

We will be bringing cereal and milk, cereal and/or luna bars, juices, fruits, nuts and nut butters, etc., to have in our room for breakfasts and to enhance light suppers we may pick up from the food court.

I think we can pull it off. We have the dining plan for our fall trip (several adult males going on that trip), but I'm excited to try and pull this off for this trip.

Headed to AofA in November with dd and dgd!!
Headed back September, 2015 with dd and family!!
ssledoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssledoux View Post
We were talking about going to sci-fi, but haven't heard great things about the food. It seems like the burger might make it doable.

I think what we will do at Starring Rolls (if we wind up eating there at all, which we may not if we do sci-fi) is get a sandwich and an extra croissant then put some of the meat and fixins from the sandwich on the croissant to make 2 sandwiches (a tip I got from my home school board).

Flame Tree is a fave, but we will probably each get our own food there because we LOVE the pulled pork sandwich.

One area we will save is drinks. I figure we will bring in a couple of water bottles to fill and have with lunches and then, if we have the desire for something flavored, we will get one large drink and share it then drink water after its gone).

We will be bringing cereal and milk, cereal and/or luna bars, juices, fruits, nuts and nut butters, etc., to have in our room for breakfasts and to enhance light suppers we may pick up from the food court.

I think we can pull it off. We have the dining plan for our fall trip (several adult males going on that trip), but I'm excited to try and pull this off for this trip.
you won't need an extra croissant. the bread itself on the sandwich is on is HUGE! just split the sandwich.

another one for Columbia Harbor house: the shrimp basket. you gets tons of shrimp and fries.

we only split things easily divided before you start eating. a burger is too hard to cut in half after you put all the toppings on, and it's too hard to put toppings on half a burger..
see, we're weird. we don't take bites off each others food. ()
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: