Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
nlginny
Mouseketeer
 
nlginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 187

safety in orlando?

We will be staying on site at disney. But we wanted to rent a car one day and drive around and maybe visit an outlet mall. How safe is orlando?
__________________
nlginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Art 1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlginny View Post
We will be staying on site at disney. But we wanted to rent a car one day and drive around and maybe visit an outlet mall. How safe is orlando?
Lived here now for many many years and have never been a victim of crime. Just stay out of certain areas like any other place.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
atomicgirl
Mouseketeer
 
atomicgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Lived here now for many many years and have never been a victim of crime. Just stay out of certain areas like any other place.
same here. never had a problem. the outlet malls aren't that far from disney either - just a couple exits up I-4, depending on which one you want to go to.
__________________
Jaime
wife to DH and mom to DD10 and DS8

"Faint heart never won fair lady."
atomicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
shalom
DIS Veteran
 
shalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,470

As with most big cities, there are areas you want to avoid, although I would think tourists are less likely to stumble on them in Orlando than in cities where the attractions are more wide-spread. The tourist areas (WDW, Universal, International Drive, major shopping centers, Winter Park, etc.) are pretty safe, although petty theft is an issue (as it is world wide where tourists congregate). Don't leave your camera or obvious packages in your car and the like, you should be good.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
bankr63
DIS Veteran
 
bankr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,263

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlginny View Post
We will be staying on site at disney. But we wanted to rent a car one day and drive around and maybe visit an outlet mall. How safe is orlando?
The only safety we worry about is driving safety in the tourist areas. There are more "dazed and confused" drivers around Disney than pretty much anywhere else in North America. You will see interesting driving stunts on a daily basis. Just remember to drive safe and drive defensively.
__________________
M Ross

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
moepanz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 593

I know when my mom ended up in the hospital ORMC and MD Anderson on a trip a few years ago, the hospital was very clear about not walking around off hospital grounds especially at night. I was staying at a home "on campus" and they had a little golf cart shuttle to take people back and forth. I was told to stay on the hospital grounds I was even showed a "back" way to the house I was staying in to not leave the grounds, I was told the criminals do not come on to hospital ground because of all the cameras. I was very surprised, from what little of the area I saw it looked ok to me. I grew up in Brooklyn NY so I do not scare easily LOL! but I must admit they had me nervous, I was there for over a month an never walked around off hospital grounds. I took cabs where ever I needed to go. So I suggest avoiding the area where the hospital is.
__________________
DisMom of 1 + twins

1st trip off site 1992,2nd trip Dolphin 1992,3rd trip Dixie Landings 1996,4th trip CSR 2001,5th trip CRB 2007 (1st family trip)
,6th trip POP 5/5-5/8/08 Me and DS 5 and Grandma Breezy,7th trip 1 night at POP for MNSSHP 9/16/08 8th trip POR 1/27-2/3/09 (2nd family trip), 9th trip POP 9/17-922/09 DH 40th B-day and Grandma finished Chemo trip (3rd family trip) WE MISS YOU GRANDMA BREEZY!!! 10th trip POP 9/9/10-9/12/10 Me and the Dav! 11th trip POP 12/10/10-12/16/10 X-mas family trip 12th trip 12/13/11-12/19 POP 13th trip 12/10-12/18/13 AOA Nemo Suite! Nick's 11 b-day!
moepanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Art 1
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by moepanz View Post
I know when my mom ended up in the hospital ORMC and MD Anderson on a trip a few years ago, the hospital was very clear about not walking around off hospital grounds especially at night. I was staying at a home "on campus" and they had a little golf cart shuttle to take people back and forth. I was told to stay on the hospital grounds I was even showed a "back" way to the house I was staying in to not leave the grounds, I was told the criminals do not come on to hospital ground because of all the cameras. I was very surprised, from what little of the area I saw it looked ok to me. I grew up in Brooklyn NY so I do not scare easily LOL! but I must admit they had me nervous, I was there for over a month an never walked around off hospital grounds. I took cabs where ever I needed to go. So I suggest avoiding the area where the hospital is.
ORMC is not in a good area.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.