Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
cuchu2005
DIS Veteran

Maybe being a CM can be stressful but...

some shoud ask first what the guest wants, instead of assuming those guests are doing something not permitted at that time.

We had two different interactions with CMs with similar outcomes:

1. While exiting BATB Theater we found a pair of sunglasses under one of the benches. So, we picked them up continued to exit and went back to the entrance to find a CM in order to report about our find. When we got to the CM she started to tell us that we had to exit, because the show was over, repetedly. When I tried to explain why we were there, she started with the recording all over again, until I put the pair of glasses in front of her face. Only then she would listen, and in fact started asking questions about the location where we find the glasses, etc.

2. After Wishes, the park was still opened and we headed to Tomorrowland through the walkway that goes by the Terrace. The dessert party had just finished, the entrance to the Terrace closed and the Dessert Cart very close to the entrance. So, as we've always been curious about the Party, I told DW that it would be a good chance to get a look at the desserts. So we stopped by to take a look (just from the walkway), when we got 3 CMs from the Party yelling that it was closed, the party was over, when all we wanted to do was seeing what types of desserts were being served.

I would have expected to be asked first what I was needing and if they found out that I was trying to enter an ended show or party, then be told so.

I guess the majority of guests, because of ignorance get in the wrong place very often, so the CM's first reaction is to prevent them from doing that, but we found it quite annoying.

Mx

PS: We were very interested in returning those glasses to the CM because the previous night I lost a rain jacket (that must have fallen from our stroller), and guess what I got it back at Magic Kingdom's Lost & Found!!! One would think that with so many people the jacket was gone forever, but it was there. Now, I'm a believer!
Jul 1994 - WDW with Mom and Dad and Sister - Feb 1999 - WDW with DW to be - Mar 2000 - WDW with DW to be - Apr 2002 - Disneyland Paris with DW on Honeymoon - Jan 2008 - Discovered the Dis - Feb 2008 - WDW with DW and first DD (2) and on my Bday. - May 2009 - WDW with DW and first DD (3) - Sep 2010 - WDW with DW and DD (4) and DD (9mths) - Feb 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (5) and DD (1) - Nov 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (6) and DD (1) - Feb 2012 - DLR with DW and DD (6) and DD (2) - Feb 2013 - WDW with DW and DD (7) and DD (3)
cuchu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
carolinamama
Mouseketeer

Last week, I did have a few occasions where I had a question, and the CM gave me an answer before I could even get a word out. However, they anticipated incorrectly. I assumed I was the 1 out of 100 asking something different, but it definitely happened more than once. It was slightly frustrating because it kept happening, but no biggie.

On a different note, twice I was talking to someone in our party when a CM overheard me and thought I was talking to them. Once at Chef Mickey's in the photo line, I was telling my 9 yr old we had a pager and we were fine on time. The PP helper snapped at me not to worry about the pager. I simply told her I was talking to my kid about the pager. Not sure why she thought I was talking to her since my back was to her, and I wasn't complaining. She replied that she misunderstood. All was well.

15 Trips to WDW since 1981 - Bay Lake Tower (2013), Port Orleans Riverside (2013), Contemporary (2009), Polynesian (2008), Wilderness Lodge (1995 and 2006), Caribbean Beach (1995 and other prior dates), Beach Club (1996), Disney Inn (1986), Disney Villas And now a Disneyland trip as well! Grand Californian (2010)
carolinamama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
GillianP1301
DIS Veteran

Stuff like that drives me crazy and hopefully they don't become the norm, because it's just really bad customer service. I get that everyone is human and everyone makes the odd mistake, and if that's the case, they should be rare occurrences.

When I'm in a situation like that, I go out of my way to ensure I tell the person providing service that they were inapproprate/incorrect. Who knows if that makes a difference, but I'm for sure not going to leave a situation like that with them thinking what they did was okay.
Caribbean Beach Resort - Aug 2012 - First visit with DS4
Disneyland - 2003 - Solo business trip
WDW Offsite - 1997 - 5th Anniversary
WDW Offsite - 1992 - Honeymooon
WDW Offsite - 1986 - First WDW trip
GillianP1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Perhaps those CMs are approaching "burn-out" and should be rotated to a non-customer-facing position until they can decompress a bit.

I wonder now what percentage of CMs are "professional" full-timers (as opposed to seasonal hires or transitional day-laborers just tiding themselves over between jobs). I can reasonably argue that long-term full-timers would quickly tire of the endless repetition of instructions, answering the same questions over and over again and again, but observe that in a public-facing capacity, failure to listen to guests, and/or failure to respond to them with anything less than complete courtesy and professionalism should not be tolerated. (yes, that includes eye rolls and snide inflections.)

Disney's theme parks and resorts main differentiation is level of service and I hope the company will not dilute that -- otherwise they're no better than 6F.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Diznotyzed
Mesmerized by the Sunday Night Glow of The Wonderful World of Color
I don't shave my legs - I use tweezers

I hear you. I get peeved when someone implies I'm breaking a rule or doing something wrong when I'm not. The funniest one last week was entering Epcot. After 6 days of multiple theme park entries at the RFID readers with no problems, as I approached an about to be empty reader the greeter told me to "stay behind the line". Problem was, there was absolutely no line drawn on the ground, nor had there been at any other park to that point. So I pointedly asked "what line?" only to be told she meant a crack in the concrete!
Her own little rule, I guess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: