Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Ntocamping
Earning My Ears

Directions to The Fort

Are there any time saving ways getting to the Fort. We will be heading I95 South and picking up I10. Is it a straight shot in or should we take a different route. tks
Ntocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

Stay on I-10 and you're more likely to hit DisneyLAND than Disney World. WDW is off I-4. But I don't cpome from that direction so I can't be of any real help.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Ntocamping
Earning My Ears

Sorry, Brain Fart. I meant I4. Don't want to wind up on the West Coast with all those liberals
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Flametamr
I never thought about doing any other job
I actually do have a back up plan

Disregard my post. I missed the I-95 part. I-4 is probably your best direct route.
2007- Port Orleans Riverside With Free Dining, 2008- Port Orleans French Quarter With Free Dining
2009- Boardwalk Inn With Free Dining. Upgraded from ASMO at Disney's expense following a problem, 2010- Ft Wilderness for the first time. It was great.
2013- First Halloween trip to the Fort. It was awesome.
[/url]
Flametamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
jbrostek
DIS Veteran

Just take the 3rd exit for disney off I4 for magic kingdom. I find it the easiest way in vs. epcot center drive, and I love entering under the gates. When you get close to MK just stay to the right and the 2nd to most right hand lane is for the campground. I also find making a left into the campground is a lot easier then the back way and making the right hander if there is traffic around.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Flametamr
I never thought about doing any other job
I actually do have a back up plan

I second staying on World Drive and entering thru the MK gates. More direct and easier to enter.
2007- Port Orleans Riverside With Free Dining, 2008- Port Orleans French Quarter With Free Dining
2009- Boardwalk Inn With Free Dining. Upgraded from ASMO at Disney's expense following a problem, 2010- Ft Wilderness for the first time. It was great.
2013- First Halloween trip to the Fort. It was awesome.
[/url]
Flametamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

We take exit 68 off I4
Turn right onto S Apopka Vineland Rd
You'll see hotel plaza boulevard on your right (plus one of the Disney Gates) it takes you to DTD but keep going.
Take the 2nd left on to winter garden Vineland Rd
Then left onto Vista Blvd
Follow this until you see the Fort on your right.
This takes you straight to the fort with out going under the sign and by passing having to go thru the MK gates.

We found these directions using DH's android phone. My IPhone doesn't even know this route.
It has helped us bypass alot of rush hour traffic we would have been stuck in. We go this way every time now. Note you will see cast member areas (maintenace buildings) incase you don't want to see that side of Disney. Also it is interesting that if you go the opposite direction going back to I4 there is a sign that says cast member only vehicles but the other direction doesn't have it. Yet you see lots of cars and RVs driving thru. Vista rd is even listed on their new Disney Experience map of WDW.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(2X), 2014
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

Last edited by ArielRae; 03-04-2013 at 08:45 PM.
ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

I agree with Flametamr and jbrostek. That is also the way we go and is much easier to enter the Fort, and especially if you are towing. Also, I personally like to go through the main entrance of MK.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Ntocamping
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
Just take the 3rd exit for disney off I4 for magic kingdom. I find it the easiest way in vs. epcot center drive, and I love entering under the gates. When you get close to MK just stay to the right and the 2nd to most right hand lane is for the campground. I also find making a left into the campground is a lot easier then the back way and making the right hander if there is traffic around.
Tks. Since I am towing my TT I would hate to make wrong turns or get off on wrong exits. Do you know what exit number or stree the 3rd exit is? Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
amylevan
DIS Veteran

We find coming in the backway too difficult when towing - it's a hard right into FW that way. So we also come in through the main gate for the Magic Kingdom.

The area is very well signed. Follow all signs for the Magic Kingdom. Pretty much any of the exits from I4 can get you there, I think we usually use 64. If you look at a map, you are aiming for World Drive. After the large Welcome Sign, you will come to the parking tolls for the Magic Kingdom. Stay to the right, tell them you are headed to the campground, and immediately after the tolls, take the right onto Vista Blvd. The campground will be on your left, and is much easier to turn into from this side.
2007 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2008 - Fort Wilderness
2010 (x2) - Fort Wilderness
2012 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Fort Wilderness
amylevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
jbrostek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntocamping View Post
Tks. Since I am towing my TT I would hate to make wrong turns or get off on wrong exits. Do you know what exit number or stree the 3rd exit is? Thanks for your help.
Its exit 64 per my map, signs for magic kingdom. But if you happen to miss it (I did this year as I was in a zone,) the next exit down at 62 I believe is world drive (so if you miss 64, you can take the scenic route.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
Bearikens
Mouseketeer

Word to the wise, if you go through the MK gate, be sure to use the far right guest lane (next to the bus lanes) as it makes it sooooo much easier to make the right turn towards FW (it's under the monorail track and comes up pretty quickly). You'll also need to let the cast member at the MK toll booth know you are a guest heading to FW to check in (they might need to see your reservations form, but don't worry they won't need any money to let you pass). When you arrive at the FW guard shack, you will need your reservation form and a picture ID (thought I would mention this so you are prepared).

Have a great time.
Disneyland June '12 - off site
Bearikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #13
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't suggest going the back way past the maintenance areas to get to the Fort -- it might be slightly quicker but it's not a very good 1st impression for your Disney vacation and your family.

The World Drive or EPCOT Center Drive are better choices.

I've never had to show anything when I've told the parking lot cashier attendants at Magic Kingdom that I was going to Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Contemporary, or Grand Floridian -- you just stay to the right and let them know where you're going and they'll let you through (I'm an annual passholder anyway but I don't bother to pull it out since it's not needed anyway.)
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

be careful crossing the bus lane to make the turn to the Fort. the buses seem to be coming faster than the cars and only slow down slightly coming thru toll bo.oth area
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We've never had to show anything (papers) at the main MK entrance booths. It is very obvious with our rig that we are camping. Also have never had a problem with traffic in that area - we just merge to the right the same as any right turn ahead.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: