Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
phewms
Mouseketeer

Are Land and Sea Packages going away in 2014

We just returned from our 1st World trip as a family and are already planning our vacation for next year. I am a cruiser while DH and DS prefer land. We are planning the trip for the end of May (and will have a new addition to the family).

I know the World rates have not been released for 2014 yet. And the DCL website only shows 7 days for May and the cabins are filling up quickly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like the total trip to be no more than 7 days.
phewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phewms View Post
We just returned from our 1st World trip as a family and are already planning our vacation for next year. I am a cruiser while DH and DS prefer land. We are planning the trip for the end of May (and will have a new addition to the family).

I know the World rates have not been released for 2014 yet. And the DCL website only shows 7 days for May and the cabins are filling up quickly.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like the total trip to be no more than 7 days.
There have been no land and sea packages for several years now.

Most of us figured out that booking each segment separately saved us money, so Disney stopped offering them.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
phewms
Mouseketeer

oh wow.
thank you!
phewms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phewms View Post
If you're going to book your cruise portion now (and I would recommend that to lock in a price) you'll have to put the "new addition" on the reservation as well to hold the place on the ship. If you don't do that, the ship could run out of space in the muster station of your chosen room between now and when you'll know for sure if you will, in fact, have a new addition. If it doesn't work out, for whatever reason (I have friends who have been trying for new additions for several years), you can remove the placeholder on your reservation before 75 days for a full refund.

If you have a TA they can book the anticipated baby; when we rebooked onboard while I was pregnant with DS he was listed as "TBD" as his first name, LOL. We had no problem updating everything once he was born.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

So just to clarify, you can no longer add a WDW resort officially to your reservation for before or after the cruises leaving from Port Canaveral; is this correct?

Last year we sailed the Magic out of NYC and they listed the hotels that they (DCL) were doing transfers from. So, do they no longer pick up at WDW resorts?

Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpray View Post
So just to clarify, you can no longer add a WDW resort officially to your reservation for before or after the cruises leaving from Port Canaveral; is this correct?

Last year we sailed the Magic out of NYC and they listed the hotels that they (DCL) were doing transfers from. So, do they no longer pick up at WDW resorts?

Thanks!
DCL will do transfer to/from WDW resorts (or MCO). They are booked at $35 per person each way. However, DCL will not make the resort reservations for you, you will need to make those reservations yourself.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
DCL will do transfer to/from WDW resorts (or MCO). They are booked at $35 per person each way. However, DCL will not make the resort reservations for you, you will need to make those reservations yourself.
Thank you for clarifying!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

There was no real benefit to booking land/sea thorugh DCL when offered except convenience (and your same KTTW would work on both). They did not offer the dining plan or give tickets for the WDW portion and you could not use any promo codes for the WDW portion if they became available. Also, with the official package you HAD to do WDW first, then the cruise for the simple reason they did not want people to miss the cruise if a flight was delayed...with the land portion first the worst that would happen would be you lost some park time.

They stopped the official land/sea package a few years ago but many people still combine WDW to either before or after their cruise. It is very simple as you can purchase DCL transfers to/from WDW to the port for $35 pp one way. They pick up and drop off at all the resorts.

As mentioned, I would book your cruise portion now to lock in prices and then just add the WDW portion when the rates come out. This way you can change the WDW portion if a pin code comes out or a promo of some sort and you can add the dining plan if you want.

If you do WDW first you can take ME from the airport to WDW. At the end of your stay (if you purchase DCL transfers) DCL will pick up your luggage from your resort room and transport it to the ship and you won' see it until it arrives at your cabin onboard. The buses leave the resorts from 11:30-12:30 depending on your resort and arrive at the port around 12:30-1:30. If taking DCL transfers you do not need to worry about a Port Arrival time when you do your online check in as you can enter the port as soon as you arrive with the bus and check in.

If you do WDW after the cruise you can purchase DCL transfers from MCO to the port. The buses from there leave about 9:30 ish. At the end of the cruise you can either carry off your on bags and take them through customs and bring them to the bus or you can leave them out in the hallway and you will find them in the luggage hall and take them through customs and out to the bus. Once outside the terminal a CM will ask where you are headed (airport or WDW) and they will direct you to the correct bus. When your resort stay is done you can take ME back to the airport.

Many people choose alternate transportation like private towncar services or a rental car which can save money over the DCL transfers.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 03-04-2013 at 07:40 AM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: