Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

First Time Cruiser Newbie Questions

We are huge Disney fans, but we have never taken a Disney cruise. My daughter and I are considering a Disney Cruise for our annual mother/daugther trip.

As first time cruisers, do you think one of the 7 night cruises is too long?

My only concern about a cruise is sea sickness. I am afraid if one of us gets sea sick, that could be a really miserable week.

I recall people years ago would get a patch to wear on cruises. Do people still use those or is there something better?

Also, we've been to Mexico before so I was thinking of the Eastern Caribbean route, but again that also go in the open ocean and I am concerned about the sea sickness.

Can you tell sea sickness is a big concern for me?

Can you guys ease my concerns.

We could do a shorter cruise out of Miami, but that means the additional cost of airfare. We can drive to Cape Canaveral, but Miami is just a little to far to drive for me.
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

UPCOMING: April 2014 Yacht Club

CRUISES August 2013 Disney Dream March 2014 Disney Magic
UPCOMING** November 2014 Disney Fantasy

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
Summer 2012 WDW Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxyUicMy5w
March 2011 WDW Vacation Videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpjlGPQ_CQ4
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
graceesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
bgdyer916
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceesmom
We are huge Disney fans, but we have never taken a Disney cruise. My daughter and I are considering a Disney Cruise for our annual mother/daugther trip.

As first time cruisers, do you think one of the 7 night cruises is too long?

My only concern about a cruise is sea sickness. I am afraid if one of us gets sea sick, that could be a really miserable week.

I recall people years ago would get a patch to wear on cruises. Do people still use those or is there something better?

Also, we've been to Mexico before so I was thinking of the Eastern Caribbean route, but again that also go in the open ocean and I am concerned about the sea sickness.

Can you tell sea sickness is a big concern for me?

Can you guys ease my concerns.

We could do a shorter cruise out of Miami, but that means the additional cost of airfare. We can drive to Cape Canaveral, but Miami is just a little to far to drive for me.
My sister always wears one of the patches. I've never actually had a problem with getting sick. ..but I may be lucky. 7 days won't feel too long. .. you'll have a blast
bgdyer916 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Loriekins
Mouseketeer

I get motion sickness in cars & was worried at our first cruise. We've done 2 7 night cruises so far & would completely recommend it. I brought motion sickness meds with me just in case. I did take it the first two nights at the first sign. It never got out of hand & once I relaxed I was fine. I took it just once our second cruise. I saw people with the patch & bracelets. The pill was fine for me. I wasn't going to let anything ruin my dream vacations.
You will love it!

Our "Magic" cruises:
Our First cruise - Eastern Caribbean Cruise 1/29/11
Second Cruise - Western Caribbean Cruise 1/21/12
Loriekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am going to call tomorrow to book!
Oct. 10 Poly * March 11 Beach Club * June 12 Grand Floridian *August 12 POR Royal Room and Yacht Club April 26-May 5 2013 CSR and Poly- 1st Time trying Club Level July 2013 Yacht Club January 2014 Animal Kingdom LodgeMarch 2014 Saratoga Springs and Coronado Spring Business Class

NEW April/May 2013 Family and Friends at Disney Beautiful Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7t7VhbD8do
May 2010 WDW Celebration Vacation Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInxvg3qjh4
Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
Disneymomoftwinz
Earning My Ears

We were in a similar situation just a few short months ago. Let me give you a little background. We take an annual winter vacation to WDW and we could never have too much of the Mouse We loved everything about it, the service, the parks, pin trading (10 year old twins), the resort (we love the Poly). My husband and I had taken yearly trips pre children and our kids have been 11 times now. Are you starting to see that we love DISNEY!

For years, my mom who is a big cruiser promised our kids she would take them on a Disney cruise. DH and I had no interest and told them all to go and have a good time and we will meet you in WDW when they get off the ship. As expected, the kids loved the Dream but wished they had went for longer (3 day). Fast forward to this year, we ask the kids what they wanted to do and the only response we got was cruise, cruise, cruise. Much to my disappointment, we agreed to do a 3 day and then the next 5 at WDW...we picked this order because I wasnt going to end my vacation on a bad note. I also had this overwhelming fear of seasickness. I was more or less along for the ride since I really just wanted to get to WDW.

Our cruise was Feb 7th-10th and it could not have been any better. I left the ship saying "its over????" As hard as this is to say, we were kind of bummed once we got to WDW, we really just wanted to be back on the boat. We were very upset with ourselves for not booking a future cruise while on the boat. We have not stopped thinking about what a great time we had and expected our future vacations to look very different. It has not even been a month yet and we have already booked a 7 day Eastern for next January.

I just wanted to share with you my experience as you are sitting right where I was and now I have a completely different outlook. Just try it, you might like it

DH and I took Bonine (a pill) instead of the patch, simply because it was such a short trip and we didnt want any lingering affects from the patch. I think I will investigate the patch for our 7 day trip. I will also say that my daughter also gets motion sickness and we were able to find dramamine chewables for her on the cruise...little did I realize it was going to put her to sleep so early each night. For our next trip, I will probably look into the seabands for both of us. The fun that we had by far outweighted any minor seasickness that I might have felt.

If you are anything like we are, you want to see and do it all. On a 3 day cruise, its hard to relax and enjoy yourself with dinners, shows, excursions etc...We ran from sun up to sun down. I am hoping our 7 day is a slower pace. I hope this helps!!!
Disneymomoftwinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
graceesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymomoftwinz View Post
We were in a similar situation just a few short months ago. Let me give you a little background. We take an annual winter vacation to WDW and we could never have too much of the Mouse We loved everything about it, the service, the parks, pin trading (10 year old twins), the resort (we love the Poly). My husband and I had taken yearly trips pre children and our kids have been 11 times now. Are you starting to see that we love DISNEY!

For years, my mom who is a big cruiser promised our kids she would take them on a Disney cruise. DH and I had no interest and told them all to go and have a good time and we will meet you in WDW when they get off the ship. As expected, the kids loved the Dream but wished they had went for longer (3 day). Fast forward to this year, we ask the kids what they wanted to do and the only response we got was cruise, cruise, cruise. Much to my disappointment, we agreed to do a 3 day and then the next 5 at WDW...we picked this order because I wasnt going to end my vacation on a bad note. I also had this overwhelming fear of seasickness. I was more or less along for the ride since I really just wanted to get to WDW.

Our cruise was Feb 7th-10th and it could not have been any better. I left the ship saying "its over????" As hard as this is to say, we were kind of bummed once we got to WDW, we really just wanted to be back on the boat. We were very upset with ourselves for not booking a future cruise while on the boat. We have not stopped thinking about what a great time we had and expected our future vacations to look very different. It has not even been a month yet and we have already booked a 7 day Eastern for next January.

I just wanted to share with you my experience as you are sitting right where I was and now I have a completely different outlook. Just try it, you might like it

DH and I took Bonine (a pill) instead of the patch, simply because it was such a short trip and we didnt want any lingering affects from the patch. I think I will investigate the patch for our 7 day trip. I will also say that my daughter also gets motion sickness and we were able to find dramamine chewables for her on the cruise...little did I realize it was going to put her to sleep so early each night. For our next trip, I will probably look into the seabands for both of us. The fun that we had by far outweighted any minor seasickness that I might have felt.

If you are anything like we are, you want to see and do it all. On a 3 day cruise, its hard to relax and enjoy yourself with dinners, shows, excursions etc...We ran from sun up to sun down. I am hoping our 7 day is a slower pace. I hope this helps!!!
Thanks! You made me feel better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: