Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

soy allergy, new dx, need tips

My son has had his peanut allergy since he was three and we have successfully navigated the parks several times with that. No big. I'm not too concerned.

We now have a new, fairly serious soy allergy to worry about. I'm not overly concerned about sit down meals in restaurants, but I need to know what to watch for in terms of snacks and QS, and if there are any well-loved 'safe' choices.

TIA

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
stackyallred
DIS Veteran

I just went in Sept. 2012 with tons of newly diagnosed allergies, one of my biggest being soy. (Other major allergies include dairy, wheat/gluten, peanut, tree nuts, garlic and egg). My very favorite snack is definitely the popcorn which is soy free. I struggled to find desserts that were safe at both TS and CS places so I went to Babycakes (all items are soy free treats) at DTD a few times to stock up on chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes to take with me. I just carried a small thermal bag and Tupperware container in our back pack to keep snacks in. There were times that I had fresh fruit or a baked potato from one of the snack carts and of course I brought some snacks from home. I have to say I sure missed never having fries (made in vegetable oil that may contain soy) or eating any Asian foods this time! I had very good counter service meals at Sunshine Seasons, Cosmic Rays, Flame tree Barbecue and at POP and AOA (most counter service places gave me a 2 pack of Enjoy Life cookies for dessert which I always saved for a later snack). A lot of chefs said I'd have more options if I was not allergic to soy lecithin because there are many items in which that is the only soy present and apparently many soy free people can handle it but I steered clear. Hope you have a great trip!

Honeymoon @ ASM 2003 / Caribbean Beach Resort 2005 / DL 2006 / Bonnet Creek Resort 2007 /
Pop 2008 x2 / POP 2009 / POP 2010 / WBC & BWV 2011 / POP 2012 / POP & AKL 2013/ AKL & POP 2014
The Hamstring of Sadness Will Not Defeat the Magic! A TR of sacrificial joy!
stackyallred is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackyallred View Post
I just went in Sept. 2012 with tons of newly diagnosed allergies, one of my biggest being soy. (Other major allergies include dairy, wheat/gluten, peanut, tree nuts, garlic and egg). My very favorite snack is definitely the popcorn which is soy free. I struggled to find desserts that were safe at both TS and CS places so I went to Babycakes (all items are soy free treats) at DTD a few times to stock up on chocolate chip cookies and cupcakes to take with me. I just carried a small thermal bag and Tupperware container in our back pack to keep snacks in. There were times that I had fresh fruit or a baked potato from one of the snack carts and of course I brought some snacks from home. I have to say I sure missed never having fries (made in vegetable oil that may contain soy) or eating any Asian foods this time! I had very good counter service meals at Sunshine Seasons, Cosmic Rays, Flame tree Barbecue and at POP and AOA (most counter service places gave me a 2 pack of Enjoy Life cookies for dessert which I always saved for a later snack). A lot of chefs said I'd have more options if I was not allergic to soy lecithin because there are many items in which that is the only soy present and apparently many soy free people can handle it but I steered clear. Hope you have a great trip!
Thanks! Right now his allergist feels that soy lecithin and soybean oil should be safe. I intend to do a food challenge before we leave (at the fire station. with Epi-pens and benadryl standing by ) to make doubly sure.

We have ADRs at Teppan Edo I am told the chefs will make a sushi roll with no soy sauce or soy 'paint' to hold the seaweed and rice together. Any experience there? DS1 LOVES sushi.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
CarrieR
DIS Veteran

Soy is low on the list of allergies around here - trying to remember what my soy-allergic friend had issue with due to her soy. She is ok with small amounts so the response will differ. But I don't recall many issues. This is one where an email to special diets will help - although you'll have to cross-reference the peanut and soy lists with each other.

I will say - Avoid Ohana! We had our worst Disney dining experience ever there. I have a friend with 8 ana allergies (strawberries, peanuts, tree nuts, fresh fish, shellfish, avocado, and soy & eggs in large quantities) and by the time the chef got to the soy he was downright snarky with her. "You do realize this is a Polynesian restaurant?" Not only were we belittled they managed to send out conventional food - thankfully no one had eaten anything with their allergen in it before he checked back, flipped out, and became a kind, patient and attentive chef. Anyways... I still recommend Ohana in general but feel like it deserves a warning for soy-allergic patrons.

Generally you'll want to stick with the same CS process - ask for the allergy binder & a manager will assist you. Allergy chicken nuggets and baked fries might be an option - I've read really good things on these boards about both, but don't know what allergies they serve.

The good news is, you're staying within Top 8 and should be able to be served fairly easily. They no longer even want advance notice of those, since they handle enough, they have a "system." Much less hassle than our weird allergies, rofl...

Eta: lecithin and oil being safe will make your life a lot easier. That's essentially where my friend is, and aside from the Ohana incident, the soy was a non-factor on our trip. Can't really remember it causing an issue with much of anything, although it may have crept up in areas I am forgetting.
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Thank you, that is very helpful

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: