Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

no
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

The problem with having any kind of theme or collection is that it becomes an easy gift idea for everyone in your life, until you're drowning in "theme."

Years ago, I bought myself a cute Pooh cookie jar from the Disney store. Then DH bought me one for my birthday and another for Christmas. Suddenly, it was a "collection" and I got more from other family members for a couple years. I display them all on top of my cabinets, and they look cute. But then MIL decided that I needed a whole Pooh kitchen and got me towels, pot holders, utensil holder, etc., etc. Then my mom found the same pattern on sale and got me MORE towels and potholders, plus the trivet, salt and pepper shakers, water carafe, etc. Now, I LOVE Pooh, but it ended up just being too much clutter in the kitchen, and I couldn't get rid of anything because they were gifts.

When we moved, I "redecorated" with NO theme, and politely told my family no more cookie jars.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #33
LSmith
DIS Veteran

No themes anywhere in my house. I really dislike themes.

I am a minimalist everywhere but especially in the kitchen. White cupboards with stainless steel appliances. As little as possible on the countertops - no visible junk. No stencilled mottos or sayings on the walls.

I can't work/cook/think in a cluttered space.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

sort of I guess, wine and fruit and a few herb things thrown in. lol

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #35
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
More of a color scheme than a theme. My walls are barn red and a buttery yellow. I have large paintings my daughter made and large family photographs above the cabinets, with some (yes, fake) greenery in between.

I also use the area above the cabinets to display some seasonal decorations, so my kitchen theme changes with the seasons.
Personally, I love your COLORS.
But I've already had them both for over 15 yrs. I am the first person I know who started doing RED all over and I have 2 very butter YELLOW walls right now that will be repainted. I've never regretted that decision, my husband thought I was nuts. I just told him " I think being happy with that color for this long proves I knew what I liked". And I'll trust myself again. I'll be going more neutral, letting my green countertops being the ONE main color.

I really liked the wine theme someone mentioned, but not sure if I can stand ( because of the height on the one side of the wall) wine bottles above my cabinets. I might be able to do a few 4/5 bottle racks where the bottles lay down.

I'm also considering just placing a few BIG black and/or red bowls on top of the cabinets too.

Less on the walls, no question. I want one large picture on my main wall, or a group of 3 or 4 smaller ones, and DONE!!

I wish I were at WDW everyday
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort Planning for POFQ in NOV 2014
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #36
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohfriend77 View Post
The problem with having any kind of theme or collection is that it becomes an easy gift idea for everyone in your life, until you're drowning in "theme."

Years ago, I bought myself a cute Pooh cookie jar from the Disney store. Then DH bought me one for my birthday and another for Christmas. Suddenly, it was a "collection" and I got more from other family members for a couple years. I display them all on top of my cabinets, and they look cute. But then MIL decided that I needed a whole Pooh kitchen and got me towels, pot holders, utensil holder, etc., etc. Then my mom found the same pattern on sale and got me MORE towels and potholders, plus the trivet, salt and pepper shakers, water carafe, etc. Now, I LOVE Pooh, but it ended up just being too much clutter in the kitchen, and I couldn't get rid of anything because they were gifts.

When we moved, I "redecorated" with NO theme, and politely told my family no more cookie jars.
I'm surprised no one has said they have a MICKEY kitchen.
If I was moving into a new house I might go down that road. My sister has a MICKEY bathroom, actually it's the cat's bathroom. It's nice

I wish I were at WDW everyday
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip DEC 2013 POP/Caribbean Beach Resort Planning for POFQ in NOV 2014
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #37
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
I need ideas for a new Kitchen theme.

I just took everything down from the walls and above the cabinets, prepping for a big painting project. then a chairail, possibly some wainscott.

I had a theme of APPLES everywhere. Lots of collecting the last 15 yrs or so.
I'm keeping the nice oak shelves, but I tossed all the crafty things. I also had 18 different Apple potholders hanging, all that is down, too. I'll keep the potholders since there is a functional use for them.

Suddenly the space seems larger and I'd like to keep it that way. So I'm not going to clutter it back up.

WHAT does everyone have in their kitchen right now?
I am developing a theme for my house its purple!!!!!!!!!!!!! (well the bathroom is white and grey so that is one room) I am having this wallpaper in the sitting room

http://www.wallpaperdirect.co.uk/pro...vinyls-9/90724
http://www.diy-kitchens.com/style-ki...adoak-painted/
And the carpets in the house will purple in the sitting/dining room hall and landing and the three bedrooms.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #38
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Not really a theme at this point, but I have really cute curtains with apples on them. Lots of my kitchen things, such as my kitchenaid and mixing bowls are red.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #39
beavismom
*~*~*~*A tag full of gecko pixie dust!*~*~*~*
Spread the Spirit of Christmas (and popcorn) on The DIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohfriend77 View Post

Cookie jars are pretty much the theme in my kitchen. Not just Pooh though. Of course, there are lots of Disney jars, but I have a Mystery Machine, a Sesame Street, Pepe Le Pew, Tonka Dump Truck, Companion Cube, Stormtrooper, Zombie and many others to add variety. It did become the "go to" gift until I ran out of room though. Of course, now I am tempted to take a peek at Ebay and see what is out there.
beavismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #40
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I don't really have a theme in my kitchen. I mainly have fake Ivy/greenery atop all of my cabinets. There is about a one foot space above my cabinets that is empty up to the ceiling.

I also have several small Topiary trees in there. One on top of the cabinets and 2 in the kitchen window.

On the backsplash between the cabinets and counter I have some slate plaques that have Apples on one and Grapes on the other. And I have a flower vase in the kitchen window.

Nothing really matches. It's all just different looking stuff.

The only decorative things I have sitting around in the kitchen are 3 whimsical ceramic roosters of different shapes and sizes on my kitchen island. One is normal, one is short and very round and fat and one is very tall and slender. They are meant to be kind of cartoony and they have twisted wire accents on them and metal wings.

All my appliances are Stainless. That is the only matching element to my kitchen.

I have never been into themes of any sort like that. I was never into country decorations or cows or anything. The closest I came to a theme in my house ever in my life was I had several Sunflower items in my house. A painting, a vase of flowers, potholders, etc. That was years ago.

Now, nada.

OH I take that back... there is a few elements of a theme in my house and in my kitchen. I just looked into the kitchen and realized I have several wooden sailboats above the cabinets. I have lots of big wooden sailboats in my house and I got some small ones (about 12 inches high) and put them on the top of my kitchen cabinets to tie in with the rest of the sailboats in the house. I have a very BIG wooden sailboat on my fireplace mantel. SO that is a household theme of mine. My bad. I do have a theme.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #41
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1626 View Post
I'm surprised no one has said they have a MICKEY kitchen.
If I was moving into a new house I might go down that road. My sister has a MICKEY bathroom, actually it's the cat's bathroom. It's nice
I have a Mickey bathroom too. I have a Mickey shower curtain and curtain holders, a Mickey rug and wall Clock, a framed Mickey poster on the wall, and a big Mickey fathead on the wall behind the door.

I guess you could call that a theme but it is not in my kitchen. =)
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #42
jameswilson799
Earning My Ears

Since you are looking to keep the larger feeling of the room and lessen the clutter, have you thought about adding a few wall decals to the space? I'm sure you want to add some decorations, and these would be great because while they add life to the room, they virtually take up no space. There are so many options, some designed specifically for kitchen spaces, that I think this could be a great design technique for you to utilize!
jameswilson799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
Sneezie
I don't like unfinished trip reports. If I wanted to read an unfinished trip report I'd read my own.
It's wonderful being in your 30's

My kitchen has brown walls, so I had a rooster theme with red accents (curtains, canisters, etc); but I got tired of that after a while; kept the brown walls, removed some of the dye from the curtains until they were a nice burnt orange, changed out my canisters for a deeper brown and changed my theme to fleur de lis (I'm all New Orleans).

The fleur de lis theme is very subtle, however, so I don't see myself tiring of it anytime soon.

Have fun with your redecorating!

Sneezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #44
honeydiane1953
DIS Veteran

Yes it's called early run down.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #45
SamRoc
DIS Veteran

I live at the beach so my theme is sea glass. My backsplash is covered with light and dark green sea glass.My cabinets are white with rope trim. It was simliar before Hurricane Sandy. When we finally got insurance money and rebuilt our home, we did it the same way. Except now theres sea glass everywhere! my friends live in atlantic city and theres a beach there where tons of it wash up. i have a huge glass jar filled to the top, and i have some big green glass jars on the countertop, which is white granite with silver sparkle flakes in it. looks great when the sun shines in off the of the bay!

1st trip 1975,1st anniversary trip 1983,Polynesian 1987,Ft. Wilderness Cabins 1990,Ft. Wilderness Cabins 1992, Contemporary 1995,Contemporary 1998 Disney Cruise,Polynesian Oct 2000, Fort Wilderness Cabins 2001, Motorhome Ft. Wilderness 2003, Grand Villa OKW April 2004,VWL Christmas 2004, Rental home April 2005,Ft. Wilderness Cabins Oct 2005 MNSSHP, Rental home Christmas 2005, 1st time in our home in Emerald Island Feb 2006!, EI March 2006, EI April 2006,EI June 2006, EI and Disney Magic (Wedding)August 2006,EI Oct 2006 MNSSHP ,Feb 2007,April 2007,Oct 2007 (Our 25th Anniversary!)Dec 2007 VWL, Jan 2008 EI,May 2008 EI,Dec 2008-March 2009 (1st snowbird experience!) June 2009 EI,June 2011 EI, Dec 2011 EI, Jan 2011 EI
SamRoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: