DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Aulani rental csr

I'm thinking about renting a car at the airport for our upcoming 7 day Aulani stay. Best I'm finding is around $300 for a midsize, which has me wondering if we really need a car.
We do want to go to Safeway, the Dole Plantation & maybe visit a beach or two, so that's why I'm thinking about the car.
For those who have been, is a car needed?

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Cinderpamela
DIS Veteran

Personally I would not do it without a car. Our thinking was we spent all this money to get to Hawaii and then to not explore the island and all it has to offer would seem a waste.

We drove up to the Northshore, Dole Plantation, and to Turtle beach, drove to Pearl Harbor, went into Waikiki a couple of times. Plus we were able to go to Walmart and the Super Target and get great prices on gifts to bring home. And a must is to go to Leonards Bakery for their Malasada's! Yum!

I would not want to have to rely on eating all my meals in and around Aulani. It was a great experience to be able to try other places.

If you are a Costco member for sure check their rates. We wound up getting an amazing deal through them. It started out with a reservation at around $300 and then every time I checked back it got lower and lower. I think I finally paid around $25 per day for a compact SUV. I felt pretty good about that!

2014-November-Disneyland VGC 2013-Christmas at Aulani2012-November-Grand Cali 2012-July-Aulani 2011-1st trip to WDW-Christmas at Wilderness Lodge! 2010-Christmas-time@DLR and CLUB 33!! 2009-Christmas-time @ DLR 2008-Birthday @DLR 2007-PPH @ DLR
2005-DLH 1st Family Trip to DLR 1991-Spring Break Disneyland 1973-First trip to Disneyland
Cinderpamela is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

I also wouldn't want to be stuck at Aulani without a rental car - it is not going to be like staying IN Waikiki. While I will want to plan a couple of days to just relax and enjoy the resort I can't imagine not wanting to go into Waikiki once or twice and I can never skip Pearl Harbor. We've never been to the North Shore and I'm really looking forward to that...oh and I want to take surf lessons at the Hawaii Fireman's Surf School...and then there are the Target & Costco runs....I know we will not stay planted at the resort for 7 full days. We always rent a car on Maui or the Big Island too when we go so I know this will be the same. It's just not going to be like when we stay in Waikiki and you can walk to a lot of stuff or take the bus.

We're not going until August and I've been pricing rentals and a "full size" has been running about $350ish, even at Costco. From what I've read on the Transportation Board tho it sounds like prices don't start to drop until JUST BEFORE your dates so keep checking! You can always book something for now & then cancel it later if (when) you find a better deal. For now, I have a reservation thru Thrifty for about $272 I think it was. Not sure I want to use Thrifty but it was the cheapest deal I've found so far. I am hoping Costco or Priceline will beat it when we get closer. My first choice would be National then Enterprise so I will keep my eye out for deals.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
wdrl
DIS Veteran

A rental car can help offset some of the other expenses you'll encounter during your trip. If you don't rent a car, you'll have to pay for your transfers to and from Aulani. Aulani is about 20 miles or so west of the Honolulu Airport and fares are not cheap. If I recall correctly, you'll have to budget at least $50-$75 each way.

If you have a car, you'll have more flexibility in terms of dining. We used our rental car to drive to the Super Target in Kapolei (about 5 miles from Aulani) to get breakfast items, bread and sandwich meats, fruit, and frozen dinners. This helped us reduce the cost of meals during our trip.

There is one additional car related expense you'll have to budget if you are not a DVC member. If you are a DVC member, then parking is free at Aulani. Otherwise, parking a vehicle at Aulani will cost $35 a day.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

We used the Costco code and got a Jeep Patriot for 11 days for $225, no parking fee for DVC members so we definitely think we'll get our money's worth. I brought my Garmin from home, works here perfectly!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
CynthiaC925

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadlois
We used the Costco code and got a Jeep Patriot for 11 days for $225, no parking fee for DVC members so we definitely think we'll get our money's worth. I brought my Garmin from home, works here perfectly!
Hi. I have an economy car with Enterprise for $160 for 8 days through southwest
CynthiaC925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadlois View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaC925 View Post
Hi. I have an economy car with Enterprise for $160 for 8 days through southwest
About how far out from your actual travel dates did you find these deals? Is my info. from the Transportation Board right in that it will be much, much closer to the travel dates before deals are available?!

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. I guess we'll rent the car, just in case we decide to go someplace. We've got 2 kids under 4, so we're not going to be taking any long drives.
We are Costco members & I used our Entertainment Book coupon for the $300 rate. How close to travel dates are the better deals, a couple weeks out?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
NC State Tigger
'cause we all love State and I luv Tigger

Hoping to book at 7 months for an Oct trip for family---we will be 7 (6 adults and 1 child 3 yrs old). Our first trip to Hawaii.

After reading this and other threads, I am sure we will need/want a rental car for our visit.

What type vechicle(s) would be best? We will need a car seat for DGD. Will a mini van be large enough for our party? None of us drive a minivan now. Should we get 2 cars?

Not sure one would be large enough to hold all our luggage. Used a private transfer for our transfer to cruise last year--10 passenger van and filled up the back with luggage.

We hope to do 3 nights in Honolulu and then 7 nights at Aulani. Hate to pay for parking on Honolulu--probably wold not use car that much,if at all for that part of trip.

Any advise?

Thanks-

Donna
NC State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Joey7295
DIS Veteran

I will be at Aulani April 16-22 and I have a compact at Thrifty for $156.50
Joey7295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7295 View Post
wow ! great rate...I just paid $356 for 6 six day rental....through costco....timing is everything !!

FYI...if you do not rent a car it will cost you $100 just to get a shuttle to Aulani......go ahead and rent ~! The Target near Costco also has food
PoP 2010,2011,2011
WDL 2008
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

I have a compact booked for just under $19/day for mid April.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7295
Wow! Fantastic rate! We're going to be there at the same time. . I'm going to look at rebooking my reservation now !

Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #14
DVC_Corrys
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

A car is a must.....

Start trying Priceline now... bid low, you can keep trying.

I booked a Costco rental for $365 for 9 days and tried as a joke one night on Priceline not thinking it would be accepted and I got a 9 day car rental for $200 bucks after all taxes/fees/surcharges/levys/firstchild/etc... that was a win.
DVC_Corrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #15
polkadotrocks
Fairy Godmother

Aulani Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7295 View Post
I see that you are going to Aulani in April of this year. Do you have any concerns about the improvements that they are doing on the property and how it will affect the guests? We are arriving mid May and that was my only concern,

And completely off of the subject, where did you find the pictures or tickers that you have in your signature with the Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort and The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa with their logos? I've been trying to do my tickers all day and could not find anything like that.

Anyways, if you have heard anything that might help our give us a heads up for the trip it would be greatly apprecited.

Regards,
Julie

Julie Todd
polkadotrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: