Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Kingdom Keepers - Books & Tour

On the most recent email show, Julie and the team discussed Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers series; he also wrote the Peter and the Starcatchers series which is a lot of fun. Being a fifth grade reading teacher, I am very familiar with the books and have read several of them. My students love the stories, but they can be a bit complicated in terms of the plot. I have one little girl this year who had trouble understanding all of the complexities of the first novel, but stuck with it and finished a few weeks ago; she was very proud of herself as it was the most challenging book she had read. The next installment comes out April 2!

Families might enjoy reading the books together leading up to a WDW trip or DCL cruise (the last few books are on the Disney Dream). It'd be fun to map out the settings on a park map (you can always print one) and then visit them together in person. Disney also has a special Kingdom Keepers tour for kids. I wrote about it in a blog and have linked it below for those who are interested. Ridley Pearson had a hand in designing the tour; it looks like a fun experience!

http://www.disunplugged.com/2013/01/...-in-the-parks/

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 03-03-2013 at 10:53 AM.
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Thanks, Nikki! I didn't know there was a tour. One of my daughters is almost done with the 4th book. She just loves them. My other daughter is starting the the series as soon as she finishes her current Star Wars book.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
Kimberle
WL Vet

My 13 yo read the first one a few years ago. She hated it. (She's a very advanced reader for her age, in AP and honor's level classes.)
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberle View Post
My 13 yo read the first one a few years ago. She hated it. (She's a very advanced reader for her age, in AP and honor's level classes.)
My sister and I have both read them (we were both AP and honor students and now have graduate degrees) and we both love them! I'm going to look into the Kingdom Keeper's tour to see if it's available to adults. We did not both love "HIDDEN MICKEY: Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!" Ugh! I think the difference is that the Kingdom Keepers are fantasy and the Hidden Mickey book is written as if it could actually happen. Double Ugh!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I just looked up the information on the Kingdom Keepers Quest through Disney Youth Programs and it says it is a self guided tour for groups of 10 or more. What? 10 or more? I guess you have to be part of a school/youth group to do it. I'm going to email for more information.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Maddie2
DIS Veteran

My boys have loved these books! I have a fun little story to share...

Back in 2009, our family was in the MK just getting ready to get on Splash Mountain, when my then DS14, happened to notice this somewhat elderly CM, who happened to have the same name as one of the characters in one of the KK books - Wayne.

Anyway, DS14 approached the CM and asked him if he knew of the KK books. A very broad smile appeared on the CM's face and said, yes, I certainly do. DS asked if he was "that guy" and yes replied that he was. Evidently, this CM had met with Ridley Pearson several times and helped explain what it was like to work with Walt Disney in the early years.

It was very exciting for our boys to meet this man - especially since it required a bit of detective work - and they LOVED that. Though actually, I'm not sure who was more tickled - our boys or the CM - he seemed pretty pleased to have been found. He said that every now and then someone would approach him about the books. We rode SM and had hoped to get back to talk to the man again, but, alas, he was gone.
Maddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
SA mom
DIS Veteran

This is was the reply I received from Disney Youth Programs:

"The Kingdom Keepers Quest, a self guided program is available for
purchase at Magic Kingdom for individual families. The clues are
included in the 2013 Birnbaum Guides for Walt Disney World (both the
full size guide and the pocket parks guide). The banner at the bottom
of the book should say, “Inside Exclusive: Kingdom Keepers Quest.”
The guide can be purchase at select merchandise locations within the
Walt Disney World Parks & Resorts. Please note that this is a modified
version from our group kit."

I searched on Amazon and it is available through them, too. We won't be going again until next year so I'll try to pick up the 2013 Guide once the 2014 edition comes out. It should be cheaper that way.

Happy Questing!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

How many books are there now My kids have read up through 5 I thought that was the last one did I miss others? It looks like 6??
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I picked up the first one to see if I thought my DD9 would like it. At this stage, I think it would be a little too scary for her. (She is easily scared for her age.)

I can see where kids would like it, but I didn't really think that highly of it. The story concept was clever, but I thought it was rather poorly written in large chunks. (Yes, I realize it's a "kids" book, but that doesn't mean it has to be so clunky.) It kept me interested enough that I wanted to finish it, but didn't inspire me to pick up the 2nd book. I've decided to wait until DD is older to bother with another, but honestly if the second doesn't improve, I don't think I could get through the rest.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
mommyarewegoingback
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorethegreat View Post
How many books are there now My kids have read up through 5 I thought that was the last one did I miss others? It looks like 6??
Yup and it's on DCL!! Fun!
-Virginia
WDW 4/97, 4/99, 5/00, 10/02, 2/03, 5/03, 10/03, 12/04, 1/05, 4/05, 7/05, 10/05, 5/06, 7/06, 11/06, 4/07, 11/07, 12/08, 7/09, 11/09 (& DCL Magic), 5/10, 8/10, 12/10, 5/11 (& DCL Dream), 12/11, 5/12, 8/12, 11/12, 4/13, 5/13, 11/13, 4/14, 7/14, 5/14, 12/14
mommyarewegoingback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I picked up the first one to see if I thought my DD9 would like it. At this stage, I think it would be a little too scary for her. (She is easily scared for her age.)

I can see where kids would like it, but I didn't really think that highly of it. The story concept was clever, but I thought it was rather poorly written in large chunks. (Yes, I realize it's a "kids" book, but that doesn't mean it has to be so clunky.) It kept me interested enough that I wanted to finish it, but didn't inspire me to pick up the 2nd book. I've decided to wait until DD is older to bother with another, but honestly if the second doesn't improve, I don't think I could get through the rest.
Same here. I read the 1st one a few years ago and thought it was too scary and, honestly, a little too difficult for my dyslexic 9-year-olds. I thought the book was so-so.

My now 12-year-old Twin A recently picked up book 1 last September and is now ready to read book 5. Twin B just picked up book 1 and is enjoying it.

Maybe I'll give the books another shot.

Tags
kingdom keepers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: